Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Submitted: Fri, November 05, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, January 04, 2005

• Reported By:Framingham Massachusetts
Best Buy
One Worcester Road Framingham, Massachusetts U.S.A.

Best Buy Rip-off! Protection Plan - DON'T BUY IT!! Natick Framingham Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: right back at ya

*Consumer Comment: Service plans are hit or miss

*UPDATE Employee: A bad experience with your particular salesgroup does not make this a ripoff.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I used to work at Best Buy... When ever I shop at Best Buy, I never buy a Plan, because it's a waste of money...

December of 2002 i was given a Sony Clie as a gift. My mother was "sold" a 2yr "protection" plan and was told... "if anything goes wrong, we'll replace it". October 11th of 2004 the clie decided it had had enough of my memory card and decided it wanted to display a Fatal Exception Error any time i put the card in. This had never happened before.

I brought the Clie in the Best Buy happy that i had a service plan. I found out that Sony has discontinued the Clie. However, Best Buy said their system said to send it in for repair. I asked them to make sure they do NOT just reset and wipe the system as i had already tried that. They told me to check back in 2 wks. I called them and was told it was at Sony and to check back in a week. So now 3 weeks later i finally got my clie back. I turned it on...a lo and behold...they had wiped the entire system and nothing was on it.

I mentioned this to the tech and they said to go home, hotsynch it and then see if it works. If it doesn't...they will see what they can do for me. I did just that and...Fatal Exception Error when i put my memory card in. Back to square 1. I called them back and was told i could bring it back in again for repair. I said that did not make much sense as they were not able to fix it the first time. This is when i was informed of their "NO LEMON" policy.

Apparently they put into their plan that they have 3 chances to fix your item and if after that it breaks a 4th time, they will replace it. I thought this was odd and asked to speak to the manager. He was out and i was told to call back the next day. In the meantime, i talked to my mother and asked if she knew about the Lemon policy. She was not aware and in fact remembered what the sales person said to her (If it breaks...we will replace it).

So I called the manager the next day to talk to him about the situation. He re-iterated that there was "nothing" he could do and that they would have to send it out again. I asked him an important question - if we send this out 3 times at 3 weeks per instance - the "final" 4th time would be after the date of my plan expiration 12-10-04. I asked him if i would still be covered since i started this insane process prior to expiration. He told me that NO - they would not replace if the 4th repair was after the expiration date. He did inform me that i could buy an extension to the plan...however, that would put the repair counter back to 1. So his solution was for me to be without my clie for 9 weeks, purchase an extention and then be without it for another 9 weeks before they would replace it. Makes sense to me - 18 weeks of inconvenience before they honor their "plan.

Bottom line reason why i am writing this report is to point out the completely idiotic nature of their "plan" and to suggest to ALL CONSUMERS - DO NOT BUY BEST BUYS SERVICE/PERFORMANCE PLAN!!!

It is a WASTE OF MONEY and a SCAM!!!

They have lost my business and anyone else i can tell my story to!!!!

David
Framingham, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2004 09:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Framingham-Massachusetts-01701/Best-Buy-Rip-off-Protection-Plan-DONT-BUY-IT-Natick-Framingham-Massachusetts-116279. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

right back at ya

AUTHOR: Jonathan - (U.S.A.)

I'm not really sure if that response was directed at me or not. I would assume so. If you had taken your own advice and actually read what I wrote, you would see that I agree with you 100%.

As I tried to point out the first time I posted, they may very well have had a policy of "instant replacement" when the item was purchased, but because of that little line in the terms and conditions of "subject to change without notice" they may have changed it after the item was purchased.

As for seeing it through to completion, as long as the claim is in before the warranty runs out they have to honor it. You can pitch a fit to them but being Best Buy I doubt it would do any good. However, if it is an on-going claim and they send it back not fixed, and you can verify it is a problem with the unit itself and not a program you installed or a bad memory card, then they are liable warranty or not. I do belive all repairs are guaranteed for 30 days.

On the other side of the coin, all they have to claim they have repaird it is get the unit working according to origional factory specs. They do not have to chech anything past that point. It sucks, but that is their loop hole quite often.

On a side note I was trying to give you suggestions about what you could try on your own if they refused to resolve the situation. Really I hope it helped. I am not trying to defend them in any way shape or form. Like I said, I agree with you 100% about Best Buy and this situation in general. The most important thing you as a consumer can do is read through the information they give you on their warranties and make sure you understand what they will and will not cover. Maybe you can find something in there to force them to change their minds.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

My original concern/annoyance with Best Buy had to do with 2 issues. First - when my mother purchase the Clie - she was not told about the "No Lemon" policy. She was told..."If anything happens we will replace it". Second issue - the idiotic nature of the plan that does not allow for a repair to be seen through to completion regardless of the end date of the plan. If something is broken and brought to best buy's attention prior to the end date, they should honor the plan until the repair is completed.

I myself buy service plans on over 50% of the items i buy. I usually shop at Circuit City and have never had a problem with a service plan that i purchase there. The fact that the Best Buy employee lied when selling the plan to my mother coupled with the fact that the administration of the plan does not allow for common sense and logic leads me to warn others that I FEEL the BEST BUY SERVICE PLANS are a RIP OFF!!!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

That is my opinion...take it for what it is worth based on my specific story!

Service plans are hit or miss

AUTHOR: Jonathan - (U.S.A.)

Most of the time service plans are very hit or miss. There is always a good chance that you will never have to use them (until after they expire of course).

The best advice I have for anyone looking at a major purchase is to read the service plan for yourself and then decide if it is a good Idea or not. More times than I care to mention back when I worked in retail (never Best buy because I do agree their customer service leaves quite a bit to be desired) People who did not purchase the service plans were very unhappy when they found oout what it would cost to fix the machine they just spent $2000 a year before.

Most of the time the sales people will say whatever they can to get you to buy these plans because management pushes them so hard to do so. In some cases even threatening to fire them if their attachment rate is not high enough. In other cases the salesperson hands out mis-information due to lack of training. It is up to you as the consumer to read the available material and to know what you are getting yourslef into.

One thing to look for is most of these plans will state somewhere in the fine print that "conditions are subject to change without notice" This means they can and usually do change from a replacement plan to a repair plan.

The "NO LEMON" policy is and always has been 3 major repair attempts before consideration for replacement. Even after the third attempt at repair they do not have to guarantee a replacement or can replace it with a refurbished unit.

No matter what they tell you at on the store level, when you item gets to the repair shop they have a list of things they MUST do and steps they MUST follow in any given attempt to repair youe item. If you tell them at the store not to bother trying a specific procedure, the store can tell you all day they will not, but they have no way of stopping the repair center from doing so.

As far as your problem goes, it almost seems that there is something you intalled on your Clie' that does not agree with it. I would try jsut loading the basic programs on without using a memory card and see if that works. If the memory stick you have is not an "official" Sony memory stick it can also cause problems. Even though the generic ones are supposed to be compatable this is not always the case. If this is an older unit it may be limited in the amount of extra memory it can accept. If you memory stick is larger than this it will cause the problem you are seeing. I also highly doubt that the store adequatley realted to the repair shop that the problem only occured when you added the memory. If they are not aware of this at the repir center then they will not look for anything but the basic functions. If these work then they will send it on it's way as fixed.

I do hope this helps a bit. As one person said above me, one bad experience with a service plan (especially from Best buy) does not mean all service plans are a bad idea.

A bad experience with your particular salesgroup does not make this a ripoff.

AUTHOR: Janelle - (U.S.A.)

Let me first off explain a proper service plan. Your service plan covers normal wear and tear, cleanings, Harware repair, lightning strikes and replacement.

Now the no lemon policy states that after 3 major repairs the computer is considered a lemon. The fourth send off is for the authorization codes to actually replace the unit. Now thats 4 years of service. Parts go bad on computers all the time its a fact of life! I thought service plans were ripoffs until I started working in the repair center. Especailly when it comes to specialized electronics such as laptops. If that Harddrive goes bad you are looking at $200-$300 to replace that Hardrive plus labor for someone to install. Now thats the price of what you paid for that service plan. Then your processor and Motherboard may go bad theres another $200.00 you will be paying. Isn't that plan starting to make sense now? Now if you didnt buy that plan and those things keep happening and that computer does eventually need to be put under lemon status. You are stuck with a 800-1500 dollar piece of junk. and having to spend the money to buy a new one. Service plans are lifesavers plain and simple. A bad experience with your particular salesgroup does not make this a ripoff. They followed the agreement that you signed and paid for. Read your service plan brochure, ask questions, be smart.

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I used to work at Best Buy in the computer section... Being knowledgable in computers I thought I'd have a lot of fun helping customers find what they needed... WRONG! Let me lay out Best Buy's sales plan:
1. Sell the computer (They only make 2% profiet, "Just enough to pay for the electric bill" -I quote my manager...)
2. Once a customer has a computer in mind, try and sell him/her up one, even if they don't need it (you don't need a 3 Ghz P4 with 512 Megs of RAM to surf the web and write a word file!)
3. Try and sell them a printer, if you do goto 4.
4. Sell them ink (even if they don't need it), the most expensive USB cable (because best buy makes almost 200% profiet on cables), and paper.
5. Try and sell them on a protection plan... Now this is where it gets strange...
My co-workers told me sooo many lies when i started working there, and I would in turn lie to the customer (im sorry to who ever i hurt). Basically anything that the customer wanted to have with the plan, we'd give them.

When ever I shop at Best Buy, I never buy a Plan, because it's a waste of money... If they don't have that product anymore then you're out of luck (this happened when with my GameCube, they basically told me it was no longer good because the specific model I purchased was no longer sold), which brings me to computers... If computers are constantly changing, then basically 2 weeks after you purchase your computer with a Plan, the Plan is no longer good...