Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Updated: Mon, November 30, 2009

• Reported By: Al_1977 — Fullerton California USA
Best Buy
120 E. Imperial Hwy Fullerton, California United States of America

Best Buy Store Manager Shop Manager voided my Thanksgiving sale purchases due to personal dislike of me being a reseller! Fullerton, California

*Author of original report: Response to John of Memphis

*Author of original report: Response to "Robert from Irvine, CA"

*Consumer Comment: Not Sure...

*Consumer Suggestion: Manager Broke Law

I made two sets of purchaes of several video games that were on sale during the after Thanksgiving weekend at Best Buy (store #114). I had already completed the purchases and paid for each one using a different credit card. A third set of games were being processed by the cashier at the register, when all of a sudden the store manager walks by. I didn't get the guy's name, but he was the manager on duty at approximately 9 pm on 11/28/09. He noticed the two piles of games from the transactions that were already complete and he approaches the cashier and tells him that there is a limit of one game title per customer. I told the manager that I had already checked with a sales associate on the floor about qty. limits, and he informed me that there were none. Sometimes, limits are placed at the earlier hours of a sale period so that popular games won't sell out and customers coming in later can get a chance to purchase them at sale prices. But I was literally buying these games during the final hour of the sale, and even then there were still plenty more left in the bin. Anyway, the manager said that his authority surpasses that of the associate and he is placing a limit of one game title per customer. He said he disliked the idea of me purchasing these games to resell them, and forced me to void the two COMPLETED purchases I made. It was ridiculous, but I didn't make a scene. Still, I feel this wasn't right as they had so many more games of the same titles left to sell, and the manager was persoanlly bothered of me being a re-seller.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2009 05:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Fullerton-California-92835/Best-Buy-Store-Manager-Shop-Manager-voided-my-Thanksgiving-sale-purchases-due-to-personal-530338. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

Response to John of Memphis

AUTHOR: Al_1977 - (USA)

No, I was not thretened by the manager at all. Infact, when I politely asked him if he was sure he wanted to do this, because there were plenty more of these games still out there in the sales bin, and that I'm not a tax-exempt "dealer," he took notice of my calm, rational attitude and actually apologized on behalf of the floor employee who mistakenly (according to the manager that is) told me that there were no limits on these games. But the store manager did let it be known that the fact I plan on re-selling these sale-priced games for a profit, bothered him quite a bit. Since I do plan on coming back to this store in the future (I only have 2 Best Buy locations in about 15 miles around my residence), I didn't make a big scene about it. However, I doubt that there were any official limits on these games. The ad didn't say so, the store had plenty of the items in stock, and the floor associate has even seen other customers purchase multiple copies of the same game title without any issues, which is why he told me that there were no limits to begin with.

It really was at the manager's sole discretion that I was denied the sale of these games in bulk (even though I had technically already bought 2 batches of them). The third batch was being processed, when the manager walked by and noticed the previous 2 piles stacked pretty high and just sitting there at the counter. Heh, now that I think about it, perhaps if the cashier had already bagged these items, the manager wouldn't have even noticed when walking by.... Oh well, I still don't think what he did was right though, and I thank you for your affirmation.

Response to "Robert from Irvine, CA"

AUTHOR: Al_1977 - (USA)

The ad in question was the nationally distributed Best Buy ad for the after-Thanksgiving weekend sale, and no there was no mention of the restriction of sales to "dealers" (which I'm not technically, as those guys have tax-exempt permits so the store has to pay for the CA sales tax) or quantity limits on these games mentioned on the ad itself. Even so, I still checked with an associate on the floor working that section about qty. limits even before placing all these games into my cart (or did you not bother to read that part in my initial post). He said "no limits" because he had seen others buy multiple copies of the same game title all day long.

I used 3 different credit cards because I've been shopping at other stores the last couple of days (as I said previously these purchases are being made at about 9 pm Saturday... literally the last stop for my black Friday weekend shopping), and I knew that the 2 credit cards of my preference were close to their limits. But these 2 accounts had 0% APR, so I calculated the number of games (plus their CA tax value) that could be purchased with each card, and made my purchases accordingly. Whatever was left over was going to be purchased with the third card (that didn't have a 0% APR), but that's when the store manager walked by and saw those two huge piles of games on the counter which I already bought. He didn't even know how many credit cards I was using or anything else for that matter. All he saw was that I was buying numerous copies of the games that were on sale, and he explicitly told me that he wouldn't allow the sale of these items to ME because he knows that I plan to resell them. He was very clear in making it known that this very fact bothered him personally somehow, so he wouldn't let me have these even though the bulk of them were already technically purchased by me at that point. And I did try to "protest" by rationalizing with him in stating that these are not tax-exempt purchases, that there are plenty more of these games available in the sales bin (another part of my previous post which you failed to read/acknowledge, Robert), etc. But by the looks of him, I could tell that his mind was made up and anything else I was going to say would just make him more resistant. And I wasn't going to make a major scene or call the police or anything like that, because I do plan on coming back to this store (there are only a couple of Best Buys within 15 miles of my residence). So even if I did put on a spectacle and it was later deemed by the authorities that I get to keep the games that I already purchased, do you really think that I could ever show my face at that store again?!

As for the last part of your statement, as I noted on my previous post, and the previous paragraph of this post, THERE WERE PLENTY MORE OF THESE GAMES LEFT IN THE SALES BIN even after I went through it. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if Best Buy did have another sale on these very same games real soon, because they sure as hell have plenty of them left over from this one!

One last thing... Irvine is pretty close to Fullerton. So you wouldn't happen to be the Best Buy store #114 manager on the night of 11/29/09 would you Robert, or at least know who he is? LOL!

Not Sure...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

As to the legality of this.  MOST ads I see specifically state something similar to "no dealers or resellers".  If this ad said that or not I do not know.  But if there was such a policy then yes they violated the terms of the ad, and the manager may have a right to void the sales.  Which brings in interesting questions.

If the OP didn't think they were doing anything wrong why did they use 3 different credit cards?  It could be seen that this was a way so that they could not track that they were actually buying more games than they were supposed to.

If the OP didn't think they were doing anything wrong why didn't they "make a fuss".  Especially if the belief that it is now "their" property.  If the Store Manager tried to detain him couldn't he then turn around and not only get to keep the items but sue the manager and the store for illegal detainment.  That is again if the OP really did feel that they did nothing wrong.

Of course if the OP was wrong, then when the cops come the store manager could request a Trespass warning issued baring this person from ever entering the store again.

The OP also said "piles of games"  I really wonder how many games this person was buying, and how many copies of each game.

Sometimes, limits are placed at the earlier hours of a sale period so that popular games won't sell out and customers coming in later can get a chance to purchase them at sale prices. But I was literally buying these games during the final hour of the sale, and even then there were still plenty more left in the bin.

- And how do you know that those games may not be on sale again?  What if someone comes in a few days and wants that game that Best Buy advertised.  What if they decide to write a report here about how Best Buy never has any items in stock.  Are you going to come and let them know that you were the one who bought all of the games they wanted?

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Manager Broke Law

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Once the items had been paid for they became your property, period. The manager had no authority to force you to return them. Did he actually threaten you? I suspect he will be fired for this action. This is a case where you should have made a scene and called the police. If there was truly a limit why weren't the cash registers programmed to limit these items to 1 per customer???

It's amazing that Best Buy still hires these kind of people for management positions.