Complaint Review: Best Buy

Best Buy
Garland, Texas United States of America

Best Buy Customer Apathy Geek Squad Garland, Texas

*General Comment: fix it

*Consumer Comment: Diagnostic Toolkit Required.

*Consumer Comment: You should contact Trend Micro

A little over 6 months ago, I bought a Toshiba laptop for my daughter.
When I got the PC, I was also given a free copy of anti-virus s/w called "Trend Micro Titanium." from BB.  It offered a 6 month free trial. Fine.

I installed the AV and for 6 months the PC was problem free. 6 months to the day after I installed the AV, the free trial expired. The  PC locked up and would not allow me to access to anything unless I purchased the Trend Micro anti-virus s/w (unyielding NAG screen). I don't fault BB for this.

I called the Geek Squad and told them of the problem. They said that for 199.00 they could remove the offending software ("if that was the cause") and virus it produced. I told them that it WAS the AV that BB had given me when I purchased the laptop. I thought at least they could remove the problem without charging me for it. They repeated their generous offer and again I declined. I said again what could I do?
The girl there said there was nothing they could do but what she offered, and she said she could only tell me that "over and over."
 I called the store general manager to tell them what was going on. He repeated what the associate said and asked if I had tried contacting Trend Micro about my problem. Needless to say, Best Buy and Trend Micro are on my DO NOT BUY FROM list.
 Trend micro even has it's own section in Ripoff Report! They seem to be shady characters all the way out! They get you if you don't buy it and get you if you do!
Trend Micro Titanium will not let you uninstall it or even turn it off in the task manager. It just keeps coming back!

I say "Beware Best Buy!" You are following in the footsteps of Circuit City.
Remember - We don't need you. You need us!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2012 12:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Garland-Texas-/Best-Buy-Customer-Apathy-Geek-Squad-Garland-Texas-822629. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

#1 General Comment

fix it

AUTHOR: indo - (United States of America)

go to trend micro website and download the free trial then updated, which they give you one update for free, scan your computer. hopefully this will help you. DON'T GO TO GEEK SQUAD or BEST BUY, THEY SUCK and BUNCH OF IDIOTS.

Diagnostic Toolkit Required.

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

You need to install the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit from their website to COMPLETELY uninstall their product.  You can download the toolkit from the Trend Micro website;  http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1037161.aspx

You can google search "trend micro diagnostic toolkit" and find their support site.

You can fix this yourself for free.

You should contact Trend Micro

AUTHOR: TWSM - (USA)

Trend Micro might very well have some virus look alikes out there in internet land -- I have had viruses similar to the one you are talking about and they all have some sort of official name connected with them.  It is usually something with 'windows' in the title to make it look like an official microsoft product so that people will have no problem entering their personal and billing info.

A quick search on Google shows them to be an active and seemingly upstanding company - you should contact them.  I would think that if it is their program doing this they can fix it, or if it is a virus impersonator they would have the remedy.  If their software is actually taking over your computer as you describe and they wont do anything about it I imagine you do have something actionable with consumer protection or even small claims.

I would be interested to see what comes of this, please contact Trend Micro and update.