Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Submitted: Sat, August 20, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, January 28, 2006

• Reported By:Perry Georgia
Best Buy
Store #563 Hwy US 98 N. Lakeland, Florida U.S.A.

Best Buy - Lakeland RIPOFF... I purchase a Notebook returned it 6 hours later and was charged $187.50 restocking fee.... Lakeland Florida

*Consumer Comment: No warning stickers on my purchase & is service always that bad?

*Consumer Comment: Now that I've gotten to know the Best Buy employee mindset....

*Consumer Suggestion: CompUSA and Best Buy

*Consumer Suggestion: For Neal in Dade city Fla.

*UPDATE Employee: There is a reason for 15% restocking fees

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: JOSH- 15% restocking fee for Education Refund

*Consumer Suggestion: Haha.. clearly shows everyone who is uneducated

*UPDATE Employee: What?

*Consumer Suggestion: Grow up Randy

*Consumer Comment: Best Buy aka WORST BUY has Mindless Employees posting comments "PATHETIC"

*Consumer Suggestion: Just purchased laptop

*Consumer Suggestion: My Mistake

*Author of original report: Love these Besy Buy employee rebuttals

*Consumer Comment: I got all my money back - but I had to work for it.

*Consumer Comment: Account Executive?????

*Consumer Comment: Who's the idiot?? YOU ARE, Neal!

*Author of original report: LOL...another disgrutal Best Buy employee

*UPDATE Employee: people that work at best buy dont make a comission on selling anything

*Author of original report: Got to love JUSTICE...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Restocking fees are not ripoffs

*Consumer Comment: Restocking fees are no rip-off

*Consumer Comment: A customer should be 100% satisfied with their purchase.

*UPDATE Employee: You can't be serious !!??!

Best Buy is deceptive and misleading... I purchased a Notebook computer at 1:13pm 8/20/05 returned it at 7:00pm 6 hours later...

The salesman and cashier both told me I had 14 days to return it in... I returned because I was having problems with it... I was told that I would have too pay a $187.50 restocking fee for opening the box...

I asked why and was told on the back on the receipt that it stated a 15% restocking fee on Notebooks... What it states is... quoto... RESTOCKING FEE Unless defective a restocking fee of up to 15% may be charged on Notebooks...

UP TO 15% MAY BE CHARGED ON OPEN NOTEBOOKS... but not etched in stone...

Too charge me or anyone else $187.50 for a restocking and item that was returned in 6 hours because it was opened is stealing...They are not disclosing the true refund policy... until you return... If the salesman and cashier had of told me about the restocking fee I would not of bought it and went else where...

I signed the electronic signature processor...and then was handed a receipt that has the disclosure on the back in fine print... I didn't realize the deceptive practices of Best Buy until now...

If anyone else has experienced this please contact your State Attorney Generals Office and report Best Buy's deceptive practices and tell everyone you know too buy else where... also maybe a class action suit might be in order...

Neal
Dade City, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2005 07:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Lakeland-Florida/Best-Buy-Lakeland-RIPOFF-I-purchase-a-Notebook-returned-it-6-hours-later-and-was-char-154411. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

No warning stickers on my purchase & is service always that bad?

AUTHOR: Andie - (U.S.A.)

Just checked the box of my latest major electronic purchase from WORST BUY, and there was no restocking fee sticker ANYWHERE on it. Odd... considering, all products have this sticker..hmm.. they prob ran out of the stickers, just like the day they ran out of the other consumer's camcorders, only to have more expensive models in stock... This restock fee was also never mentioned to me by the 2 different associates it took to help make my purchase. There was also no sign of this posted in the electronics aisle I walked to find my purchase. Nor, is there any information about this restock fee on the path from that specific electronics aisle to the checkout stand I went through. However, in about 3-4" letters on the far wall, on the opposite side of the customer service area, there is a sign w/Best Buy policies printed on it. Now let me also mention this sign is nearly 3/4 the way up to the ceiling. So if the average person was approx 25 foot tall, it would be in eye view to the consumer. The product I purchased was defective, and I returned to the store for the exchange. The C.S. clerk was nice and helpful. The electronics "expert" he sent me on a scavenger hunt for was lacking expertise the day I arrived. They sent me back to the electronics dept so he could actually hook my item up to make sure it was defective. So I waited approx 20 min for the "expert" to figure out how to hook everything up, to find that yes it was defective EXACTLY as I had stated. Suprise.. winner, winner, chicken dinner!! So he hands me another box and tells me to take the new box, and the old item (w/ cords dragging all over now), back to the C.S. counter. So, I ask him to hook this new one in the box up to make sure it works, so I don't make several more 20 mile trips to exchange defective products. The expert's response was that "umm I really can't do that, but if you get it home and it doesnt' work again, well you can exchange it up to 30 days". I will not make major purchases there again. Maybe they could change the slogan to
"Best Buy, Bending you over like no other."

Now that I've gotten to know the Best Buy employee mindset....

AUTHOR: Kate - (U.S.A.)

What a group of remarkably abusive people. My business has done business there for years and I just happened upon this topic by accident tonight.

But I don't believe in co-incidence. All the complaints I read were valid (bought a notebook and it didn't operate properly so it was returned) and the response from the employees didn't address that issue at all - the 15% restocking fee.

They attack the poster on a personal and vulgar level.

I'm done with Best Buy until they improve their hiring standards. They'd at least want to give them a personality inventory of some kind. These are plain old wife-beaters. They need to get some help. And hopefully their significant others have a domestic abuse shelter in the neighborhood. Oh man...I hope these animals don't have kids....can you imagine what their kids lives would be?

#3 Consumer Suggestion

CompUSA and Best Buy

AUTHOR: Britton - (U.S.A.)

Neil who makes the six figures works at the Dadeland store in Florida as a Business Services Rep in CompUSA. I also work for CompUSA in the Midwest. I know for a fact that COMPUSA forces customers in Assurance programs the same way as Best Buy forces protection plans on customers. Red Shirts and Business Service reps at CompUSA will hound a customer until they purchase a Technology Assurance Program or the customer gets mad and walks out. As a COmpUSA employee to CompUSA COrporate....Privately interview or survey workers about this. You will find disturbing figures! We should treat customers the way they should be treated without the fear of us losing are job. It all starts with Regional managers!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

For Neal in Dade city Fla.

AUTHOR: Dave - (United States Minor Outlying Islands)

I used to work for Best Buy in the past. I made around 40K a year (as a junior/area manager) while they also payed for me to get my degree in business--from the college of William and Marry. A GM of a Best Buy makes a six figure salary as well (plus bonus). You're sadly misinformed about how much Best Buy employee's make. Also, somebody who REALLY makes six figures doesn't throw it in an 18 year old college students face. I deal on a one-on-one basis with a partner in charge of a large accounting firm and the CEO of a large import car manufacture. Both of these clients make more in a quarterly bonus than you do in a year and they would never say about any employee of any company what you are saying about Best Buy employee's. You're mad at Best Buy policy and it's sick to you see you act so irresponsibly. There is clear signage at the front of the store that is informative of the return policy. Somebody who's savvy enough to earn such an income--which seems to be the only thing you have going for you in this life is a number figure--should have done more research. The bottom line, you can hate best buy all you want. My stock is doing very well. I buy from their Magnolia--you probably can't afford it, but you should look it up. For every one customer who hates Bust Buy, there's 1,000 who love it because they understand how to get the product they need, no matter what income.

There is a reason for 15% restocking fees

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

I have worked for Best Buy Inc. for close to five years now and I know most of the policies fairly well. The biggest reason for the restocking fee is because when someone returns something within just 14 days, Best Buy has to mark the product down as an open item.. guess how much is marked off in most cases? 15% It is not profit, it is helping break even with the amount that will be lost. And of course we have customers come in and think they can purchase something to use once or twice then return it. I work in car audio and I have seen that happen plenty of times with things like GPS units, mobile video, radar detectors, etc... Every single one of those products I just listed also has a sticker on it telling the customer about the restocking fee. you decided only to have the product for 6 hours for whatever reason but it doesn't mean you can whine about being charged 187 dollars, Best buy doesn't let people borrow products from them.. go to Rent-to-Own if you want to do that.

AUTHOR: Richard - (U.S.A.)

Hi. I have been watching this thread for a bit now and have some comments. I too have had issues with DEFECTIVE (said in all caps because some folks don't seem to be able to see the word.) equipment and products. Also; I have had issues with non-existant refunds and rebates.

First off I have to comment on the rampant name calling from both sides on this issue. I am assuming that we are all adults here and can behave as such. That said, lets try not to make this personal folks.

Next up... While I think that some of Best Buys policies are somewhat draconian, there is the issue of proper disclosure. I have never been into a Best buy and NOT seen the detailed disclosure signs about returns and refunds. The problem is that alot of the time they either ignore their own rules outright or try and fudge a way around them.

Here is a case in point. About two years ago my wife bought me a new Video Camera at Best Buy. I don't remember the exact model number anymore, but it was defective. It made bad sounds and the video image was jittering in the display. I personally think the CCD element was not mounted properly or had come loose.

Anyways... I took the defective unit to Best Buy to get a replacement. Before going to the customer service desk I took a look at the video department to make sure they had the item in stock. There were about 4 of the units I could see on the shelf. They were exactly the same model number.

I went back to the customer service desk and handed the camera and gift receipt to the clerk. I was expecting a simple exchange; however, what happened next will live in infamy as one of the truly lamest customer service experiences of my life.

The clerk took the defective camera and walked back to the video department with it. A few minutes later he returned empty handed. I asked where my exchange was and he replied they did not have that model in stock anymore.

I was dumbfounded and told him I had looked and there were four of them on the shelf back there.

He took me back to the video department and lo and behold, all 4 of them were gone, the only JVC models left were a model number or two up from my camera.

I was informed that I had two options, One was to get a refund of the purchase price as store credit or cash, minus a restocking fee, or I could spend an extra $50 to get the next model up.

Immediately my Bait-And-Switch detector went off.

I demanded to see the store manager and refused to leave until I spoke with him. After about 15 minutes the manager showed up and I informed him of what had just happened. He looked to the clerk who had been dealing with me and took him aside.

A minute or two later they turned back and walked over to me. I informed him I was in no way going to pay a restocking fee for a defective item which simply did not work. I further informed them that I was not going to pay any extra money for a next model up trade. I asked him to show me in the inventory system of the store where someone had just bought the last 4 JVC cameras which were on the shelf less than 30 minutes ago.

I finally got them to "Check the back room" and wonder upon wonders, they found one of them... Yeeehhhaaaaaa!!!

I actually had to threaten the BBB and the local consumer rights reporter for our local ABC affiliate. I made sure at least a dozen people near me heard everything that was said by all parties.

My point is that; while people need to make themselves aware of all return policies before making a purchase, its seems that they must also be responsible for making sure the companies follow their own policies. Sales reps may not be paid commission at BB anymore, but the store manager's bonuses are directly related to sales and efficiency. The better the profit, the better he does. So some managers tweak the rules a bit to increase the bottom line.

It is a sad testament to the fact that the US might as well be called the Corporate States of America, that there are so many protections and loopholes for businesses and so relatively few for Consumers...

Moral of the Story; Caveat Emptor (Or in more modern terms: Walk softly and carry a big bullhorn.)

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Bad Randy, bad boy, sit, stay and shut up

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

First off Randy I don't appreciate being called an idiot. In one of the first sentences of my post I stated that I am not, nor have I ever been a Best Buy employee, I have worked for Circuit City, but never for Best Buy. So you can go off thinking you're so clever and calling it Worst Buy, I really don't care. I really don't think your little mind can grasp the reasoning behind a restocking fee, but I'm gonna try and explain it anyways:

Every time a computer is returned the store has to sell it as an open item at a discounted price. Since there is no markup on computers, selling them at a discounted price causes the store to loose money. (let me know if I'm moving to fast or using too big of words for you Randy) The restocking fee was put in place to take away that loss of profit when a computer is sold as an open item.

Now what this means for consumers is that they must be well informed about a computer before they buy it. I have always let my coustomers know about the charge before they make the purchase and most people are ok with it, because they know they'll be happy with the computer and not want to return it. Its the people that come into the store thinking they know exactly what they need, won't listen to the salespeople and walk out with a crapy computer that are causing the problems. The origional poster didn't say why they wanted to return the computer but I'm willing to bet it was because they either bought a computer that wasn't right for them, or just decided they didn't want a computer after they bought it. If you are not ready to make a purchase DON'T!

If you are willing to do your homework on your purchase and listen to the sales people you will never get burned by a restocking fee! The only people that are affected by them are the people why buy on impulse or don't research before they buy.

AUTHOR: Regis - (U.S.A.)

I know the restocking fee sucks, but it's just like grade school, there is always someone who ruins it for everyone else. Some people do "rent" items like this. The reason for the restocking fee, is to stop this practice. If you don't want pay that fee then make sure you're buying something you want. Best buy does not charge a restocking fee for items that are defective, so if that was the problem why don't you have a different laptop at no charge? Let me answer my own question. You had buyers remorse and so you returned the laptop and becuase best buy charge didn't give you all of your money back you're pissed.

Josh and Neil: Before you guys start bad mouthing me like you have everone else that disagrees with you, I'll explain my situation.

Yes, I work at best buy. I got the job two months ago for the discount. I have a college education and I have a full time job that uses it. I guess I'm just cheap. I want to pay less than everyone else for my toys. So, I don't care if you two persuade a thousand people not to shop at best buy, as long as the other millions do I'm happy.

Best Buy still #1 electronics retailer in the world

AUTHOR: Andrew - (U.S.A.)

1. Neal, why did you return it in 6 hours? did you just want to "rent" the laptop? if your reply is that you weren't happy with the laptop, then why didn't you make that decision while in the store? retail stores have display units for that purpose you know? the 15% restocking fee and 14-15 day return/exchange period is common among most major retailers when dealing in high-priced products. was it too much trouble to look at the back of your receipt? or perhaps even the gigantic sign posted behind customer service? but hey, it's only $188 right? nothing but a drop with your "six digit salary" right? it kind of makes people doubt that you make that much if you're here posting about a restocking fee you could have easily avoided. btw, people who make a lot of money don't say anything about it, they show it. posting wild claims on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics, win or lose you're still retarded.

2. hundreds if not thousands of people complain about Best Buy and their practices to the BBB almost everyday and yet they are still in business. they are currently the #1 electronics retailer in the world and their numbers prove it. people complain about their local Best Buy but they are voting en mass with their wallets. so bitch and whine all you want about how you're not going to shop at Best Buy anymore but both you and i know you'll be back.

3. Best Buy recently underwent a 3/2 split in their stocks because it hit $75 per share. i'm defending Best Buy not only as a stockbroker who owns a couple thousand shares in their stock, but also as an extremely happy customer who has pretty much bought all his appliances, laptops, TVs, and media there with service plans and no problems. i only hope Best Buy shows the same great customer service that it has shown me to you in the near future.

cheers

#16 Consumer Suggestion

Life at High School must be exhausting

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

"Josh, you would be out of your depth in a parking lot puddle, your only hope is that the settlement you receive for suing your brain for non-support can afford you a computer with spell checkAt any rate, scoot your monkey-ass over a couple of cubicles and ask your so called friend who is a so called district mgr for Worst Buy, how to get your fourth computer from your fourth store..Lol"

One last question, did you type this up during one of your high school classes? You really are showing how old you are or maybe its just your really immature. Suing your brain for non-support????? That was almost too funny for me. Grow up dude then we will talk.

#17 Consumer Suggestion

HAHA

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

HAHA, Randy, I had a few good laughs while reading even more crap that makes you look like a you know what. Your post still lack any substance to them but to attack people which already leads me to believe your maybe a disgruntle employee of Best Buy, which is what it is really called smart guy. You have at no point during any of your post said anything worth anyone's time. At any rate, you are a nobody so I have no further comments for you. I am sure you will have something further to say because you are one of those arrogant types who don't feel good about themselves so they feel they have to attack everyone else. Have a good one buddy!

#18 UPDATE EX-employee responds

JOSH- 15% restocking fee for Education Refund

Joshy,

A.K.A. Mr. Wizard, do they teach you how to spell at the home of the mentally retarded? Then you may be able to have (intelligent) conversations with people, such as myself with a college degree.

Intellegent is not spelled with an e moron. INTELL( I )GENT

OR( I )GINALLY has an i after the r. You have got to be shitn me!

Sorry to disappoint your grand elusion of self proclaimed smart guy their Einstein, and before you ask your nurse, there is no Vaccine for stupidity, deal with it!!

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Haha.. clearly shows everyone who is uneducated

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

Randy, your immature post are very entertaining at best but clearly shows everyone who is uneducated. I may have been wrong when I said you are working a dead end job because judging by your vocabulary and lack of meaningful comments means you are probably 15 maybe 16 at best. The next question is why are you on this website and not Disney's. I have no clue on that one.

You seem to be the only one here that can not read either because as I have posted orginally, I do not work for Best Buy. I am a frequent customer and have a best friend who is a district manager for the company. At any rate, I would have no problem ever working for the company so the fact that you have childish statements about the company means nothing to me. As I said before buddy, grow up! Or at least educate yourself a bit more which may just mean your need to finish high school or go for your GED. Then you may be able to have intellegent conversations with people, such as myself with a college degree. Have a good one!

#20 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

Alexia a.k.a. What? clean your ears out you little queen. The fascination you have with a whiskey bottle, your mother, and working at Worst Buy are something you can bring up with your shrink, I am not your Therapist or your BUDDY. Read your own newspaper a-hole.

Your comment It's Just a Store proves you're an uneducated MR who has no concept of right, wrong and the value of other peoples hard earned money. SHUT-UP and grow a brain!

Clearly Joshy- you're too stupid to figure out a dead end job when you're working one. Stare real hard at the computer screen, that dopey looking abomination you're seeing, that would be the Poster Child look of dead end jobJack-ass.

I bet mommy can talk the ear off a dead horse, bragging to all her friends how her little Joshy's college edification finally paid off the day you got hired at Worst Buy, Oh Joy. Give my condolences to your dad Looser, Is that colorful enough for you?

The only point would be on the top of your thick head from wearing a dunce cap. Stickers, Receipts or Signs = BFD. You think a store has the right to levy a 15% fine against a consumer for wanting to return an Item for a LEGITIMATE REASON?

Imagine that, YOU COMUNIST PIG. the only morons sitting around arguing are the idiot employees of Worst Buy commenting on this site. Absolutely pathetic, speaks loud and clear of you and your oh so honorable company pin-head.

Now, you trained monkey, go over to the water cooler with the rest of the abject retards and chirp in about how proud you are to where the blue polo. Gay boy.

#21 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#22 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#23 UPDATE EX-employee responds

What?

AUTHOR: Alex - (U.S.A.)

Did he say "your stuck on stupid"? Hey buddy, put the wiskey bottle down before you kill someone, it's just a store.

#25 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

Clearly Randy you need to educate yourself a bit more to realize that many companies charge restocking fees. The point here is they post stickers, signes, oh and imagine that its on your receipt. People who sit around and argue how much of a ripoff it is is the actual moron because they didn't read the receipts! By the way, your maturity level Randy has already been proven to be rather low because you seem to only be able to use words such as idiots, screw and other colorful words. Grow up buddy, it will get you somewhere in life other than your dead end job.

#26 Consumer Suggestion

#27 Consumer Suggestion

#28 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

Best Buy aka WORST BUY has Mindless Employees posting comments "PATHETIC"

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

CHRIS- Crystal Lake, Illinois, you are an IDIOT!!......

Restocking fees are not rip-offs? not only are you mentally retarded you are an obvious employee
of WORST BUY.

Get your own brain and think like someone who just spent their hard earned money and was not happy you jack-ass. It is obvious WORST BUY is screwing honest consumers to make up for the dirt
bags of the world. That is a cost of doing business you un-educated moron, and the rest of you mindless inbreeds--JESSICA, PETER, CHRIS, TRAVIS, JOSH, and the chicken shit who put R-
Aloha, Oregon.

Your transparent and obviously work for this Dime-Store-Hood Outfit, no need to look any further to understand why it is against the law for siblings to mate! Your all stuck on stupid

This is not a site for spineless jelly fish companies like WORST BUY to have employees try and defend your putrid and dishonest business practices.

If your so concerned about defending your garbage return policy and pathetic customer service, then change your policies, SCUMBAGS.

Best Buy Mission Statement:

Stock Holders are first and foremost.

Manager Bonuses for lying and screwing customers out of their hard earned money.

Employee stock options, up-sell needles crap, take advantage of consumers as much as
possible to hit monthly quotas.

Follow the Blue Print of ENRON

Oh, um, Customers.

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

I have never purchased anything major from Best Buy but I have been in line many times for small items and you CAN'T MISS the signs there that discuss return policies. They are huge. Not to mention the receipt. It's not Best Buy's fault that people don't pay attention to the HUGE signs they have in their stores on the return policy.

Also, wouldn't common sense tell you that if you are going to be making a large purchase such as a laptop you would familiarize yourself with the stores return policy BEFORE you buy it? Well, I guess common sense isn't for everyone.

#33 Consumer Suggestion

Just purchased laptop

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

I am guessing you get so tired of reading all those numbers you go through to have read the label on the laptop box that states "15% Restocking Fee". Have purchased three different computers from this company from three different stores and all have had those stickers on them. Just called my friend that works with the company who said it is standard practice to place those stickers on all laptops. Interesting enough, he happens to make a six digit salary so I bet that makes you feel so much better.

#34 Consumer Suggestion

My Mistake

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry, I referred to your salary as "six figure". Upon further review of your post, I realize you make a "six digit" salary. You get paid in body parts? sounds a bit morbid, possibly illegal. Maybe if you scam enough people into buying a rundown timeshare you can get a monkey brain for a commision. Then you can earn your GED and get a job at McDonalds.

Love these Besy Buy employee rebuttals

AUTHOR: Neal - (U.S.A.)

These hourly Best Buy order takers crack me up...they make no money have no lifes....and can't stand it when they lose...I got my money back...they lost...I no longer do business with Best Buy and I tell everyone else I come into contact how bad they are....it's not costing me money...but it is Best Buy...I have seen bad reports on Best Buy on over 12 web sites...and I love getting these rebuttals as I pass them on to other web sites to share with others...please send me more....Brad Anderson likes recieving them also...

I got all my money back - but I had to work for it.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Some time ago, I bought something at Best Buy. It was a camcorder and of course, you don't have any idea how well something will work until you use it. It said it had night (low light) capabilities but when taping one of my son's night baseball games, it became apparent it wasnt up to the task. I went back to Best Buy and they charged me the restock fee (profit). I had a fit...went to the manager...no joy....called corporate...office of the President.....runaround......I "found" the President's home number and called and spoke with his wife. She had him call me back IMMEDIATELY from the airport in Chicago. Not only did I get the fee back, but he took the time to make sure I was satisfied and I have remained a loyal customer ever since.

Account Executive?????

AUTHOR: Pete - (U.S.A.)

Laugh, laugh, laugh, laugh! Yep, you're right--you're a SALESMAN--nothing more! This six digit salary--it's got to be comprised of the ones on your fingers and toes. Restocking fee making more money for the company? Yup! I love those dividend checks that come in. And I don't have to sell Fuller brushes or Watkins products door to door like you do.

Who's the idiot?? YOU ARE, Neal!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

For someone with a "six figure" sales job, and knowing how time-intensive and demanding such jobs are, you must be a pretty busy guy. So why then do you continually waste your precious free time posting such nonsense on message boards? Not only are you making yourself look like a huge jerk (with an L on your forehead might I add), you are coming across as the "idiot" you accuse others to be. Get a life!

LOL...another disgrutal Best Buy employee

AUTHOR: Neal - (U.S.A.)

Gotta love these poor sad employees who defend there companies...they call the consumer names and live in denial of there lack on purpose which is about as valuable as a Pon in a chest game...Travis just replied and called me an idiot...saying Besy Buy sales employees are not on commission(Besy Buy stopped commissions in order to pocket more profit for the company)so they have no reason to lie...lets look at this...

First...I'm a Account Executive (salesperson)...I work for commission...I make 6 digits a year...Travis and his co-horts get a hourly wage...and Travis calls me an idiot...lol

Second...I was smart enough to know that I had a right to all my money back and exercised that right...it appears most Best Buy employees lack the understanding of financial protection and consumer rights...

Third...Best Buy employees are the best employees Circuit City and other stores have...as they write their degrading uninformed rebuttals they push consumers to their competitors...a lost of income for Best Buy and a increase for the competitor...

Now let me see...who's the idiot...

people that work at best buy dont make a comission on selling anything

AUTHOR: Travis - (U.S.A.)

this person is an idiot,, think about it, the people that work at best buy dont make a comission on selling anything, its not like they forced you by gunpoint to buy the computer. this is just a case of someone who got excited about getting a new puppy and then a few hours later decided maybe this wasnt the best idea. why should best buy pay for your negligance and pure stupidity. you make mistakes, such as not thinking before buying something, thats your problem and your lucky best buy is nice enough to even let you return the notebook pc.

Got to love JUSTICE...

AUTHOR: Neal - (U.S.A.)

Love JUSTICE...creditcards are great...got my money back from Best Buy...creditcard disputes work...and not all companies charge restocking fees on computers...Staples, Dell, Walmart, just too mention a few...Shop around there are great companies out there...Loved listening to the rebuttals from the Best Buy employees...but the complaints of customers seem too be true and the rebuttals just more bs from Best Buy...

#42 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Restocking fees are not ripoffs

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 15% percent restocking fee. I've worked at circuit city and best buy and I definately have no love for best buy but you need to look at the reasoning behind the fee.

You've just purchased a laptop and decide to bring it back because you are unhappy with it. If you were really bringing it back because it was defective you could have gotten another one without a problem. I've sold computers long enough to know that. I've actually inspected some of costumers computers to make sure they are defective.

Since your computer is not defective, your electronic retailer now must resell the computer as open box. There is already almost no mark up on computers and the retailer has to sell it at a discounted price. Nobody is going to pay full price for an opened and partially used computer. Now the retailer is losing money.

Imagine if everyone was just able to swap out computers like they have a blockbuster movie pass! The restocking fee is a great way to recoup the loss and make consumers be sure about what they are buying. It should not be a deterrant.

A laptop or a desktop is a major purchase and needs to be treated as such. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Would you buy a car in a few hours? If you would then you deserve whatever happens. Go to the manufacturers websites, read consumer reports, ask other owners of the same product, play with it in the store (that's what displays are for), get a feel for the machine and the keyboard. If you are unhappy with it, it is because you were not a smart buyer. Don't be selfish and make the retailer pay for your lack of research.

Restocking fees are no rip-off

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

I work in computer sales, but not at Best Buy. The 14 day return period and 15% restocking fee are pretty standard at any major electronics store. The 15% fee was put into place to stop coustomers from 'renting' product and returning it when they were done with it. It dosn't matter if you bought the product 1 hour ago or 13 days and 23 hours ago, the restocking fee applies as long as the computer is opened. I'm sorry that you were not informed of the fee before you purchased the laptop, I make sure all my coustomers are aware of the fee before leaving the store. But my question is this, why would the fee stop you from purchasing the laptop unless you were planning on returning anyway? There is no restocking fee if the laptop is defective, usually it is just swaped out for the same model, so you can't use that defense. The reason stores have display models and sales people is so that you can try and learn about a product before you buy.

AUTHOR: Deb - (U.S.A.)

I totally agree with Neal. A customer should be 100% satisfied with their purchase. I can understand returning in 14 days but the restocking fee you've got to be kidding. The same thing happened to me except I returned mine with in 3 days after purchase. I agree should be a class action lawsuit. I also got charged for the installation, software, AND the rebate for a computer that did not work. They offered me another one BUT when I bought this one they told me the "last one available in any of the stores" Hmm, now they have them :-( I was so angry with the smart mouth employee I walked out, never to do business with Best Buy again. Afraid you will loose lots of potential customers just from word of mouth. And a note to the rebuttal from the employee...how would you like to play with a toy that cost 1500.00-1900.00 and it did not work...Bet you would be complaining too.

AUTHOR: Deb - (U.S.A.)

You can't be serious !!??!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

There is no ripoff here. This is simply a case of you believing that you are special and rules do not apply to you. The return policy is clearly posted on the back of the receipt and on signage throughout the store. Also, you could have asked for clarification on any restocking fees (which nearly every store has these days) before opening the item. Just because you chose to ignore the store's policy and make up your own rules does not make this a ripoff.

(Why would you return a laptop 6 hours after buying it anyway?! Sounds like you were trying to "rent" it to type up a term paper or something, and then didn't need it anymore!)