• Report: #1119388

Melbourne, Florida USA

Best Buy Unlawful 15 Day Return Policy Melbourne Florida

*Author of original report: Continuity: Definition

*Consumer Comment: Unlawful?

My wife and I attempted to exchange an incorrect sized I-Pad case that I purchased  for Christmas. We were told that they had changed their return policy, six months previous to Christmas, and although I had purchased it less than 30 days ago, it was now too late to exchange the item. After an unsettling discussion with an egotistical assistant manager, ( my Wife was so upset she had to leave the building ) he made it clear, that we were stuck with an I-Pad case we could never use.

After telling him what I thought of this policy, I left the building and spent the next 45 minutes on the phone with Customer Service. An attentive and courteous Laura provided me with a return authorization number, and advised me to return to the store, present the number she provided, and complete the exchange.

When I did this, I was met by another wanna-be manager, who unbelievably, also refused the exchange. By this time, we had used up a considerable amount of patience and two hours. I called customer service back and the new case handler Jordan, explained, contrary to the first lady I talked to, that he was powerless to help me.

This new 'Return Policy' contradicts Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Act Laws.  The law clearly states that if a Customer anticipates continuity between stores, as it relates to return policies, any exceptions MUST be posted clearly and in an obvious location, on the cash register, available for the consumer to read and consider, BEFORE the transaction. This was not the case, and the only reference to this new cash grab policy was on the reciept, AFTER the transaction had been completed.

This is clearly consumer deception, nothing less, and besides upsetting my Wife and I tremendously, it is at the very least an unethical practice, perpetrated against the already suffering consumers. These predatory practices convince me of what I had already suspected about Best Buy. They have been in court for deceptive practices before, this is just the latest 'scheme" and once again, as is the tradition, the management team is on board.

Never Again!   Mike    Palm Bay Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2014 03:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Melbourne-Florida-32901/Best-Buy-Unlawful-15-Day-Return-Policy-Melbourne-Florida-1119388. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

Continuity: Definition

AUTHOR: R.I.Poff - ()

I'm afraid you are misinterpreting the definition of continuity, as it relates to Consumer Protection ( Federal or State) The term, in this case, refers to a reasonable assumption of 'continuity' in policy between competing stores such as W-Mart, Z-mart etc. and not, within the stores of a particular chain.

If, for example, WXY Mart has a 90 day return policy, (30 day cash, 31-90 days store credit) as do most other large chain stores in the area, it is reasonable to assume, as a consumer, that ZMart does also. They are free to set their own return policies, but in this example, if they do, it must be clearly indicated in an obvious location on each cash register. This is in fairness to the consumer, so that they may ponder these exceptions in policy, and make an INFORMED decision, previous to the purchase. That was certainly not the case here. The only mention of their change in return policy was on the receipt...Ipso Facto.

Mike    Palm Bay

Unlawful?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

I think you will find you are stretching the interpetation of this law quite a bit.   You seem to think that there is some law that says a store must accept a return/exchange within 30 days of the purchase.  If you can find that law and every other return policy is an "exception" then more power to you.

But in reading the Act you are refering to, I couldn't find anything on returns.  Perhaps you can post the specific code section you are refering to.

But even if it does exist I have a feeling that if you try to push this "Continuity" angle, you will find that they are talking about the same store within a chain.  So if one Best Buy had a policy of 15 days and all others had a policy of 30 days you would possibly have a case.