dedication

• Submitted: Thu, June 12, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, September 11, 2008

• Reported By:Sewell New Jersey
Best Buy
PO Box 9312 Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.

Best Buy Unethical Hidden Charges Minneapolis Minnesota

*UPDATE Employee: Not really

*Consumer Comment: I'm impressed

*UPDATE Employee: I see this a lot.

*Consumer Comment: Sorry not mbna it is hsbc.

*Consumer Comment: read your credit card agreement.

My husband and I bought a television with a promotional "90 Day Same as Cash". I paid more than half the bill after receiving the first statement. With the second statement, I received a late charge. After 3 phone calls, they realized that they failed to tell me that "90 Days Same as Cash" is not what it says it is--that there was a minimum that they expected each month. I had the charge taken off my bill. I then went to the store about 3 or 4 days before the 90 days had elapsed to pay the bill. Best Buy does not accept payment in the store. I was told I had to pay on-line or call in my payment. Well, they don't take a credit card and charged me a $15 fee for paying on the phone. It was either that I paid that way or pay the $65 interest that had accrued. When I complained, they offered me a $15 gift card--which would only mean giving it to me to take it back. And as everyone knows, with the tremendous markup, a $15 gift card is worth very little! I had paid them in cash--not a gift card! Since then, I have heard of their unethical "restocking" fee, which is usurious and that their refunds are not done in the store even if you have given them cash!!! What an unethical company!

Dianne
Sewell, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2008 11:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55440-9312/Best-Buy-Unethical-Hidden-Charges-Minneapolis-Minnesota-339653. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

Not really

AUTHOR: Bestbuylp - (U.S.A.)

Dianne when you signed up for the card you were told to read the information on the form, whether you choose to blow that off is your porogative not best buy's. The store does not take payment on credit cards in the store for two reason, one being that they are not a bank, HSBC would be the bank in charge of your credit card. As for restocking fees EVERY retail store I know who sells "big ticket items" ie. tv's, cameras, laptops things of that nature all have some sort of restocking fee. Why ppl hit on best buy is beyond me however it is clearly stated that if you open the product and then return it for just simply not wanting it, you will be charged a restocking fee because that product can no longer be sold like new. They now take that camera and sell it as an open box product which is convinently 15% BELOW cost . . . wonder where that comes from!!!!! If the product is defective or if ur exchanging you are NOT charged this fee.

I'm impressed

AUTHOR: Blamegame - (U.S.A.)

Best But card services is operated by HSBC. If there is a problem with the billing - Best Buy does not control it.
I am impressed that Best Buy offered any type of solution.
The stocking fee isn't unethical. It has been structured over ime due to fradulant returns and consumers abusing the system. The policy is also plastered every where.

Best Buy nevers offers a 90 day sam as cash. They do offer (as a standard) a 90 day no interest with payments. I've seen so many people get tripped up on this little difference.

The problem is with the card service center. Not with Best Buy

I see this a lot.

AUTHOR: Blahsblah2001 - (U.S.A.)

Customers who prance in knowing absolutely nothing about our business or how it works and then pout when we don't submit to their whims.
90 days no interest means you have no INTEREST, not no PAYMENTS. I am 17, I am not legally old enough to have a credit card, and I know that.
The credit card application form comes with a whole sheet of specifications and such which explain exactly how the whole process works. I know, I've read it.
Best Buy does not take credit card payments in the store because we are an electronics store, not a bank. This information also came with your credit card.
As for the 15$ charge, you paid 15$ and they gave it back to you, essentially waiving the phone fee. We can't waive the fee because that goes through the bank, not us.
As for your 'horrible markups' Best Buy makes very little profit off TV's, Laptops, Video games, and consoles. When you buy them, we make almost nothing, though we don't sell them to you for exactly what we paid (we have to pay the employees and such, you see.)
Obviously you would have preferred to pay the fee and NOT receive the gift card, I apologize on behalf of Best Buy. Feel free to send it to me and pretend they never offered it to you.
As for unethical restocking fees- open box items must be discounted, so that's where those come from. Also to keep people from buying GPS's for one trips and 68" screens to watch the superbowl. Refunds are done in the store if you spend less than 250$. This is all written on a HUGE board, usually above customer service.
You have to read, but it's not like thye are lying to you.

Sorry not mbna it is hsbc.

AUTHOR: Mack - (U.S.A.)

After pulling out my BB card it says HSBC.

read your credit card agreement.

AUTHOR: Mack - (U.S.A.)

You signed the credit card agreement. If you read it it would of told you that mbna owns the card not best buy. The restocking fee is in almost every electronic store. I have a better idea than putting it on a card. How about pay cash in the first place.