Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Reported By: Lisa — Woodbury Minnesota United States of America
Best Buy

Best Buy Misrepresentation of my computer warranty, Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Accidental Damage clause

Purchased computer from Best Buy, Oakdale MN, in 2008 and also purchased a warranty that included "accident protection" coverage (i.e. dropping computer, spilling liquids on computer, et).  In 2011 I renewed my previous warranty with Best Buy for 2 more years.

Last week my computer crashed, sent it in via Best Buy in Oakdale, MN and got a phone call that "liquid damage" was found inside the computer and my warranty did not cover this as this would be considered "accidental damage".  I explained that my warranty had been renewed in 2011 and accidental damage should be covered.  I was then told that even though I supposedly purchased the exact same warranty, the accidental coverage was not included and now it will be $500.00 to repair.

I was never told by Best Buy that the warranty had been changed and this coverage was no longer included.  I spent the next 2 hours on the phone trying to "discuss" my problem with Best Buy and Geek Squad and essentially told that it stinks to be me.

I renewed my warranty with the understanding that it was exactly the same as the original warranty-that is how it was presented to me by Best Buy.   Best Buy did not inform me that the accident protection was now gone.  I have 3 small children, if I had known this I would have just bought another computer after 3 years and not bothered with paying more for additional warranty.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2013 03:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/internet/Best-Buy-Misrepresentation-of-my-computer-warranty-Internet-1013093. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Accidental Damage clause

AUTHOR: IntheKnow - (USA)

Here is the clause verbatim:

Accidental Damage from Handling Coverage (ADH) or Advanced Coverage.

? ADH or Advanced Coverage expires one (1), two (2), three (3), four (4), or five (5) years from the original product purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt. If we determine in our sole discretion that your product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes.

? If you purchase ADH or Advanced Coverage, this Plan will include the applicable coverages listed in Section A.

? ADH or Advanced Coverage will provide coverage for parts and labor costs to repair your product as a result of damage to your product that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (drops and spills) that arise from your normal daily usage of the product as the manufacturer intended. If your product has been replaced pursuant to this ADH or Advanced Coverage provision, the Plan has been fulfilled in its entirety.

? ADH Exclusions: units that fall from elevated heights such as decks, balconies, or out of windows, units that have been run over or that fall from moving vehicles, damage from liquid immersion/submersion or any other secondary damage or using the product in a manner the manufacturer did not intend is not covered.

Op: if an "Accidental" spill and not part of the above exclusions, you're getting the runaround.  Problem as always existed is that not only are the sales clerks AND managers NOT experts in the terms of the plans, the service administrator's preferred servicers aren't and the first inclination is to get out of the claim.

You may have a very good case - but need outside pressure.  Contact the BBB or state Division of Consumer Affairs + get to the executive resolution team at BBY and you will get this resolved.  In the future, buy online and steer clear of ALL service contracts.