Complaint Review: Best Buy/Geek Squad

• Reported By: shawne53 — Bayview Idaho United States of America
Best Buy/Geek Squad
425 W. Wilbur Coeur d'Alene, Idaho United States of America

Best Buy/Geek Squad gouging the consumer for their benefit Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

*Consumer Comment: I did not make the prices..

*Consumer Comment: Please

*Consumer Comment: Ronny said :

*Consumer Comment: Pricing for in home computer repair varies by area

*Consumer Comment: You have every right to feel the charge was too expensive..

*Consumer Comment: Geek Squad is terrible

On Feb. 5, 2011, Geek Squad, an affiliate of Best Buy, came to my home. I was having trouble with my PC and told them what was going on BEFORE I set up an appointment. When Geek Squad arrived, the tech went into my office, turned on my computer, said "you need a new computer" and wrote me up a bill for $129.99. The tech was in my home for 5 minutes. Is this yet another unscrupulous tactic by a business to profit from consumers. I wouldn't have minded to pay under $50 for them to come out, but honestly $129.99 for 5 minutes and never fixed anything?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2011 10:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-BuyGeek-Squad/Coeur-dAlene-Idaho-83814/Best-BuyGeek-Squad-gouging-the-consumer-for-their-benefit-Coeur-dAlene-Idaho-693370. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy/Geek Squad

I did not make the prices..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

Geek squad charges $129.00 to come to your home. Apparently they diagnosed it as needing a new computer. They do not forfeit the charge for coming to a house just because the diagnosis concludes the computer is beyond repair...whether it takes 5 minutes, or an hour.

If you do not wish to pay the price Geek Squad charges to come to the house, don't call them.

Any more confusion?

Please

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Ronny please tell us what the tech did to "find trouble" with their computer?  According to the OP the person from Geek Squad turned it on and said they need a new one.  Is that the level of trouble shooting you expect Geek Squad to perform for $129?  If so I would hate to see the estimate if they actually had to..oh my, actually open up the computer.

To the OP.  I am curious as to what was the problem you described to them before they came out.  I would also wonder if you did get a second opinion, and what was their solution.

Ronny said :

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

Can you find anyone else to come to your home to find the trouble with your computer any cheaper? If so, let us all know please. "

I'm pretty sure that the OP's complaint has to do with paying $129.99 for nothing.  In other words, the person did not fix or attempt to fix the computer.

This is not surprising.  I would bet that the real reason is that the tech did not know how to fix the computer.    The level of expertise commonly found in the Geek Squad ranks is deplorable.   I have fixed numerous computers for friends, after their owners had wasted their money on Geek Squad.   Geek Squad would tell them that the computer was not fixable or they would make up a problem that had no basis in reality ("You need a new hard drive" is one of their favorites).   The problem was usually a simple registry or driver issue.

Personally, I wouldn't let any of those guys touch my computer, no matter the cost.

Pricing for in home computer repair varies by area

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Considering the OP was posting from Idaho, that price seems very high, especially for just a trip charge and no actual work.

Here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, There are dozens of qualified computer repair techs that will come out to your home for a trip charge between $40-$75.

Just another example of how the Geek Squad rips people off.

What makes it worse is that the Geek Squad is not actually any better overall than many other services available for alot less money.

You have every right to feel the charge was too expensive..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

...but that is what they charge to come to your home. If you feel the price they charge to come to your home is too expensive or you can't afford it, why on Earth did you call them in the first place?

Geek Squad is terrible

AUTHOR: Chris - (USA)

Yes, everything Geek Squad does is pretty much a rip-off.  They should be avoided at all times.  I wouldn't let them touch my computer if they paid me.

As far as your bill, I wouldn't have paid it.  When someone comes over to your house to do a job and doesn't do it, they get nothing from me.  If you hired someone to mow your lawn and they came over and told you that you don't need your lawn mowed, would you still pay them?  Of course not.  They can either do their job or you are free to get someone else who will.

I had a similar situation happen with my furnace.  It was making a noise and not heating the house sufficiently.  The tech came in, barely looked at it, told me nothing was wrong, and wrote me up a bill.  When I told him I wasn't going to pay him unless he fixed the problem, he decided to looked closer. He replaced a part and my furnace works as good as new.  He just didn't want to spend the time diagnosing and repairing the problem.  Just like with your Geek Squad experience.

Companies are ripping people off more and more.  You have to know when to stand your ground.  If they want your money, they will do their job.