- Report: #1028701
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Best Choice Camera
Best Choice Camera1002 Quentin Rd, Ste 2009 Internet United States of America
Best Choice Camera TOTAL SCAM--BEWARE!!Internet
I received an email advertisement from this company, and found that they were advertising the camera I was considering purchasing for what appeared to be an excellent deal. So, I went to their website and completed my order online.
I ordered a Nikon P510 RED digital camera from the company. It was advertised for $249, which was $100 less than any place I had found locally. I was excited.
The following day after placing my order I received a call from a "sales rep" at the company wanting to "confirm" my order. In our conversation, he confirmed that I had ordered a RED Nikon P510 camera, and then said that he noticed I had not ordered any "additional" batteries with my order. He asked me why. I told him I had actually ordered an extra battery on Amazon for the camera. He then warned me that the batteries on Amazon were defective and that I should NOT use it in my new camera as it would void my warranty on the camera and damage it. He sufficiently scared me into thinking that I should purchase an extra battery from their company--an extended use 5-hour battery to be exact. He said they were on sale for only $49.99 versus the regular price of $99.99. I succumbed and ordered the battery because I really wanted the longer life battery for my upcoming trip to China.
He also told me that if I would use a credit card other than my American Express card he would expedite my order with rushed shipping. Wrong, it still took 10 days to receive my order!
When my camera finally arrived I was shocked to find that my "red" camera was black! Also, the invoice for my purchase included in the box showed that I had been charged $349.99, versus the $249 + $49.99 for the extra battery, that I was expecting to be charged.
I attempted to contact the company immediately. After being told that a "supervisor" would contact me within an hour to discuss my concerns, I finally called back after 2 hours of waiting. The customer service rep that I spoke with was hideous to speak with! So rude, condescending and unapologetic about any of my concerns. He argued with me at every point, and told me he no longer wanted to speak with me. I asked for a supervisor, which turned out to be an equally unpleasant experience.
I was told the following by the first rep:
1) As to the color of the camera being wrong, he told me it was their company policy that they could ship any color they chose to send--regardless of the color selected by the customer. (I went back to their website and read their store policy. There was one line hidden in faded type in the middle of a long rambling document that states, "We do not specify colors, if we do not have the color that the customer purchases, we send out an alternate color but the same item.") HOWEVER, when you purchase from their website there are distinct, separate purchases options for the different colors on the camera. I purchased the "red" camera.
Also, he gave me some big story about how Nikon had recalled all of the red P510s and they only had black available.
I told the rep that it seemed unethical to me that they wouldn't even have the courtesy to contact the customer to see if they still wanted to make their purchase if the color they specified was not available. He became very agitated when I argued this point with him and he kept referring back to their supposed "policy." I told him they needed to make that "policy" very prominent on their website to warn customers they may not get their color selection. (When I spoke later with the supervisor, he informed me that they send the orders to their warehouse and they pull whatever color is in front of them first, regardless of the requested color choice by the customer, due to their "high volume" and not being able to take the time to look for the requested color!)
2) As to the extra battery I ordered, the rep told me it was in the camera box (which I had not dared to open prior to speaking with them, as I didn't want to be told I couldn't return the camera if I had broken the seal). So, while on the phone with him, I opened the box and indeed there was a battery in the box.
HOWEVER, this is where things for me went really bad. I told him that there was not an original battery in the box, too. He then told me, very condescendingly, that they do not sell their cameras with batteries and chargers! What??? I told him that was ridiculous! He then gave me some rude dialog about how they only sell the camera, minus the battery and charger, because that is how they are able to offer such incredible prices. It is in their POLICY!! Phooey!
Again, I returned to their "store policy" on their website, and no where does it specify that their cameras do not come with a battery and charger!
3) As to the price discrepancy, I was then informed that the extra $100 I was being charged was for both the extended battery AND a charger unit for the battery. What??!! They were then wanting to charge me an extra $50 for a silly battery charger.
Bottom line . . . this company has horribly deceptive business practices in every regard. I did not receive the color of the camera that I specifically purchased, I was totally mislead when it came to the fact that their cameras do not come with an original battery and charger unit which a consumer should be able to expect when purchasing a camera, I was overcharged and never was there a mention made of paying for the charger, and I did NOT receive any type of expedited shipping as I was promised!
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2013 11:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Choice-Camera/internet/Best-Choice-Camera-TOTAL-SCAM-BEWAREInternet-1028701. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.