Complaint Review: Better Business Bureau

• Submitted: Mon, February 17, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, February 26, 2003

• Reported By:upper marlboro Maryland
Better Business Bureau
better business bureau.com Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Better Business Bureau BBB IS A FRAUD!! False & Misleading advertising Baltimore Maryland

*Consumer Suggestion: Time for Action

*Consumer Suggestion: Unfortunately, this probably won't help

I contact the BBB in January 2001 in reference to a terrible homebuilder- CARUSO HOMES. I sent an entire packet, including contract, pictures, blue prints, advertising etc. by certified mail to the BBB. Caruso Homes sent a letter of response in regarding my complaints of downgrading products, and omitting products that we paid a substantial upgraded fee to receive.

The response by the builder was that they will do nothing further to refund our money for the items that were omitted. I contacted the BBB 16 times from April 2002 to January 2003, but there website still states that all complaints against this builder have been resolved. Not true!!! There are at least 22 complaints against this builder in my subdivision alone that I'm aware of, and none have been resolved.

I discovered that businesses pay BBB to keep their slate clean. I want to sue the BBB for false and misleading advertising. I would have never chosen this builder if it weren't for the fradulent information given on the BBB website. At the time that I bought my home, there were no entries against this builder, although there were approximately 15 complaints filed with the BBB within a 6 month period where this builder worked in a previous subdivision.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE BBB

Doug
bowie, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2003 10:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Better-Business-Bureau/Baltimore-Maryland/Better-Business-Bureau-BBB-IS-A-FRAUD-False-Misleading-advertising-Baltimore-Maryland-45701. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Better Business Bureau

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Time for Action

AUTHOR: Original Author - (U.S.A.)

Thank you April for the information. The Chamber of Commerce is an excellent idea. We found out the hard way that there is really no regulating body to control the BBB. However, we can get the word out that the BBB does not work for the consumer!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Unfortunately, this probably won't help

AUTHOR: April - (U.S.A.)

As with more and more American's, we're finding that the BBB is the link to so many scams and cover ups. My husband and I have had our run in with the BBB starting back in May of 2002. We notified them of a scam company, of which they had no info on. We provided it, just so that they could send us a letter stating that this was an employee-employer problem, so sorry. Not one thing that we reported was an employee-employer problem, but a consumer scam we had inside info on. The Council even told all BBB's to ignore us on this company and/or all their alaises. Nice, huh? Anyway, we found out that by the end of the month, this company had now become a BBB member with a clean slate and recomendations.

We've gone to the Attorney General about this sitaution, just to find that there isn't anything anyone can do about or to the BBB. You can't sue them for wrong info or deceptive info, nothing. But, you can file a complaint with the US Chamber of Commerce and the AMerican Chamber of Commerce, they will at loeast investigate the complaints.

The best thing I would recomend is to write a letter to all the editors of the local newspapers, the Washington Post, etc., and send a e-mail to NBC 4 Consumer Investigations. With the complaints of enough people, they eventaully will have to start doing something.

My family is in the Construction business and I can tell you, there are many complaints against this builder in Maryland alone, not just your subdivision, that probably doesn't help much, though. If I can be of any help, please e-mail me at precisiondoorscam@juno.com. Maybe we can send e-mails and letters back to back until someone gets the message. Best of Luck.