Complaint Review: Big O Tires

• Updated: Sun, June 29, 2014

• Reported By: SherriP — San Francisco California
Big O Tires
3040 Geary Blvd San Francisco, California USA

Big O Tires Ruined Toyota Big O Tires' negligence trashed my Toyota San Francisco California

*Author of original report: Big O Tires still responsible

*Consumer Comment: They are correct

On Friday, June 20, I had my 1998 Toyota Corolla towed to your service location.  For almost four years I have been having all my repairs and parts done at Big O.  This time the starter that had been put in only eight months before was faulty, and for some reason the battery was dead.  A new starter and battery were put in.  Then on Wednesday, June 25, I was driving to an orientation for my new job and the oil light went on.  I put some oil in the engine, went to my orientation, and when I went to drive to the new job the engine died with a grinding sound.  I called Triple A, sent the car to Big O and went to my job.  I got a call that the engine was ruined and the radiator cracked: the technician said that “someone” had taken out the oil filter.  Please note “Someone”.  I had not, nor had one else had lifted the hood or touched that car in the past five days.  The mechanic, Mazen, suggested that “someone” had vandalized my vehicle(!).  I spoke to the owner of the franchise and he swore up and down that I couldn’t have driven the car 80 miles in five days if the oil filter had been left out on June 20, and totally and utterly disavowed any responsibility whatsoever for any wrongdoing.  However,  it is blatantly and patently obvious that something had gone wrong: on that make of Toyota, the oil filter must be taken out to access the starter.  Nothing else occurred to that vehicle in those five days between June 20 and June 25.  Big O Tires ruined my Toyota, and because I am an older woman, I was blown off and disregarded, employing both sexism and ageism, just assuming that it could be gotten away with.   They added insult to injury by refusing to buy the car for parts even though I had purchased new tires from them eight months ago and obviously it had a new battery and starter.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/29/2014 10:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Big-O-Tires/San-Francisco-California-94118/Big-O-Tires-Ruined-Toyota-Big-O-Tires-negligence-trashed-my-Toyota-San-Francisco-Califo-1158303. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Big O Tires

Big O Tires still responsible

AUTHOR: SherriP - ()

I am sure that Big O Tires' mechanic did something wrong - it stands to reason that they must have put the oil filer back on so sloppily that it came loose a couple of days later, or that they did something else to ruin that engine.  The car only had 119K miles on it, I had been scrupulous about regular maintenance, including oil changes - the car wasn't due for another change for 1,000 miles, and my driving habits hadn't changed.  They most certainly were the cause of the problem.

They are correct

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

I know nothing about these people, but I can guarantee you 100% that you would not have been able to drive 5 miles if they had left the filter off.

Also, it would have made a loud locking noise and frozen up, not a grinding noise.