Complaint Review: Bil-Ray

• Submitted: Thu, April 21, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, November 19, 2009

• Reported By:New York New York
Bil-Ray
40 Elmont Road Elmont, New York U.S.A.

Bil-Ray A Sears Company RIPOFF Shoddy Work very bad installation job Elmont New York

*UPDATE Employee: Fixed

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: All too typical

I have a home improvement dilemma. Bil-Ray (a Sears company) of 40 Elmont Road, Elmont, NY 11003 installed a new roof and vinyl siding for me last year August 2004. I have since discovered that the insulation under the siding has huge spaces between the insulation. How I came to discover this issue was in December 2004, when my kitchen pipes froze. The plumber needed to access the pipes from outside so I removed a few of the vinyl slats and discovered the situation.

I did make contact with a customer service rep, Sheila Cavollo. She contacted the actual contractor, Angelo, who told her that the surface of my house is stucco which is an uneven surface. Therefore the insulation had to be floated. I consulted with 3 licensed contractors who have said that this is incorrect. Insulation with spaces is like a coat with holes in it. What is the point?

Also, the roof was installed using the old flashing which is badly damaged. According to the contractors I have consulted with, the old flashing which is in very bad shape can shorten the life of the roof. I have pictures to support my claims.

Bil-Ray has not responded to any correspondance. I am put into voice mail everytime I call them. Customer service referred me to Mike McPartland, Quality Assurance Manager. Tel # 516-616-4200. He has never responded to any of my 3 returned receipt letters. He never responded to my voice mail. I fear that my time will run out to complain to them. I've been complaining to them since December 2004.

The contract will be one year old in August 2005. I need help, I need a voice. I need them to pay attention. What I want from them is to either correct their work or refund my money. The roof was $6,300 and the siding was $18,600.I am a single woman trying to take care of my house properly and this is what I have to deal with. Please please help me.

I complained to the BBB. Not until April 15th 2005 did I get a response from Mike McPartland, Quality Manager. Well, not really a response to me. It was more like a copy of his "statement of position" which he sent to BBB and copied to me. Basically he reiterated the original explanation which was, the surface of my stucco house is uneven blah blah blah".

Jamaica
New York, New York

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Sears

STOP! ..before you think about using the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... CLICK HERE to see how other consumers were victimized by the BBB's false or misleading information. Don't be fooled! It has been reported, when there are thousands of complaints and other investigations underway by authorities, the BBB has no choice but to finally give an UNsatisfactory rating to a BBB member business that is paying the BBB big membership fees every year. When a business is reported that is NOT a BBB member, BBB files WILL more likely show an UNsatisfactory rating, then reportedly shake down that company to become a member of the BBB. One positive thing about the BBB is, either way, if a business has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, you can be sure, the business is bad. But what about all those BBB member businesses that had complaints filed against them? Consumers never get to hear about them. What about the BBB advertising to the public? Is this a false and misleading perception they are giving about consumer confidence when dealing with a business? Click here to understand more of what consumers and business alike are saying about the BBB. You decide. ..Remember. The BBB membership is not earned, it's paid for!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2005 01:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bil-Ray/Elmont-New-York-11003/Bil-Ray-A-Sears-Company-RIPOFF-Shoddy-Work-very-bad-installation-job-Elmont-New-York-139752. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bil-Ray

Fixed

AUTHOR: Nick - (USA)

Although we determined that any issue from this installation resulted from things the customer did which would typically void the installation, we completed a full service and repaired all of the customer's concerns.  The customer signed a certificate of satisfaction.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

All too typical

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

I was sorry to read and see the shoddy work done to Jamaica's home. Unfortunately, I have seen this on a nearly daily basis as an ex Bil-Ray employee. This company is very ruthless to both its customers and employees. I urge Jamaica to contact Sears directly at 1-800-4MYHOME and demand they hold Bil-Ray accountable. Bil-Ray worked on a 50% profit margin and should have delivered perfection for what they charged! Also, I recommend anyone who has had an unsatifactory experience with Bil-Ray to contact the New York Attorney General. With enough complaints, someone might finally investigate these crooks!