Complaint Review: Bill Me Later

• Submitted: Sun, May 20, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, May 20, 2012

• Reported By: Jake Dunn — United States of America
Bill Me Later

Bill Me Later BillMeLater Exceedingly scammy "service". Every interaction with them involves them trying to deceive you. Internet

I initially signed up for this to get $10 off an ebay purchase, bracing myself for any scamminess and making sure to pay off the balance so there would be no balance.  I went to try and cancel my account but even though I could open the account easily online they don't let you cancel your account without calling in.  So I just let it be, thinking I would be safe because the account is all paid off.

A year or two later I was playing a video game and decided to spend $8 on the game through Paypal.  I glanced over the details of the purchase but missed where Paypal had changed the default payment method to Bill Me Later.  I only noticed that it was charged to Bill Me Later after a month or two after having purchased something else from ebay and noticing that Bill Me Later had been set to the default option.  By this time the fees were more than double the initial $8 I had accidentally charged and not a peep from Bill Me Later about it.

So I had enough.  I decided to pay the money and make sure to cancel the account.  Well unfortunately I didn't know the password to get into the account and the password recovery options on the site were intentionally difficult to retrieve any password from.  It wouldn't show me my password even when presented with the correct information.  I forget how I eventually ended up paying my bill but I think I ended up getting to my Bill Me Later account through my Paypal account.

Then I called in to cancel the account.  When I called in the only prompt was for my account number.  Another trick!  If you don't have information to login to the site there is no other place where the account number is listed.  I mashed the 0 and # keys and finally got to speak to customer service and cancel the account.

This was about a month ago.  Today I got some spam mail from " Adobe System Incorporated newsletter@adobe-systems.com via transact.billmelater.bounce.ed10.net ".  It says, "Copyright 2012 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved," but there is no unsubscribe option that to my knowledge is mandatory under the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.  I don't know what Bill Me Later has to do with this - if they're selling e-mail addresses or some hacker got ahold of a list of e-mails from them and is spamming malware links or what.  I just know I want nothing to do with this company and that I wish no one else should have to put up with their sleazy/scummy/scammy behavior either.  I was careful when I signed up for this "service" and still got burned.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/20/2012 12:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bill-Me-Later/internet/Bill-Me-Later-BillMeLater-Exceedingly-scammy-service-Every-interaction-with-them-invol-885261. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bill Me Later