Complaint Review: Bill Penney Toyota

• Submitted: Sat, August 16, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, December 09, 2008

• Reported By:Huntsville Alabama
Bill Penney Toyota
4808 University Dr Nw Huntsville, Alabama U.S.A.

Bill Penney Toyota Just Because I'm Female, Don't Assume I'm Stupid Huntsville Alabama

*Consumer Comment: so what if yo are a woman?

*Consumer Comment: Tis Tis Tis

*Consumer Suggestion: Next time go to Auto Zone

*Consumer Comment: MASSIVE 'HANKY PANKY' is taking place!! You must...

*Consumer Comment: HANKY-PANKY!! WOMEN MUST BE EXTRA CAREFUL AT TOYOTA DEALERS BECAUSE....

*Consumer Suggestion: Warranty work -- What's the problem

*Consumer Comment: Peter! You just blew your credibility again.

*Consumer Comment: I would wonder why your cat converter was bad.

*Consumer Comment: If you are so smart ...

I had my check engine, VSC TRAC, and traction lights all come on in my 2005 Toyota SR5 one day, so I thought, okay, I will take it to the dealership to get it checked out. My fiance (the former mechanic) warned me not to be "taken in" by these people, and just to have them figure out what was wrong with it.

I take it in 10 minutes prior to open time on a Saturday and am met by Carrie, who takes note of the lights that are on and tells me it will be about two hours to test it (I was the 8th car in line-these folks aren't hurting for business), with a minimum charge of $55.00. I thought it was high, but thought, okay, at least they can tell me what the problem is.

Two hours roll by and Carrie approaches me with lots of figures scribbled down on her piece of paper, and tells me it will be a while longer, they have the error codes but it will cost $210.00 to do further testing because they still don't know exactly what the problem is. The other figures listed on the sheet are $586.00, 296.00, etc. I feel myself getting a little shocked, because my father has been in the automotive business (body work) for 35 years and I'm not used to getting shafted or connived by shady dealership people. I ask for a moment to call my fiance who confirms my suspicions and says, "get out of there now, but ask for the codes."

Carrie then informs me it will be a half hour so that my car can cool down before the wires can be removed. I go outside for the half hour and women's lib all over the place to my fiance because how dare they assume that b/c I'm a woman I'm not going to have a d**n idea about cars, error codes and how that all works.

THE FUN PART: Carrie brings me my invoice, I have no choice but to pay the $55.00 for two codes (which incidentally I am able to identify exactly what the problem was via the web later) and then drops this bomb. My catalytic converter needs to be replaced UNDER WARRANTY and they have already ordered the part. Then she has the gall to tell me that she's "real concerned" about the one code and that I need to get it fixed ASAP.

Guess what? I get the part replaced four days later and all the lights are gone. My $55.00? Also gone. Apparently they thought my intelligence was gone as well. I'd enjoy it if I got my money back, but was informed that's just too bad.

I'm a girl, not an idiot!
Huntsville, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2008 04:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bill-Penney-Toyota/Huntsville-Alabama-35806/Bill-Penney-Toyota-Just-Because-Im-Female-Dont-Assume-Im-Stupid-Huntsville-Alabama-363663. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bill Penney Toyota

so what if yo are a woman?

AUTHOR: Nuri - (U.S.A.)

I didnt respond in a while, but this one I have to.
Arent you tired of reading reports which start as; desabled woman, 87 young man, single mother of 1, 2 or so...thats got nothing to relate to your problem/complain.

Just b/c you are anything of above, it doesnt mean you should be treated any better.

As for this post...you've got it cheap and still you complain. You drove your car to the dealer for diagnosis. They told you upfront it will cost $55.00. Your boyfriend wanted codes, so he can try to repair himself ( just knowing the code WON'T mean he will know what to replace...i.e P0171), but some codes require much more tesitng since several areas can couse the same code.

You have paid $55. just for 2 codes.....you have had 2 codes, one in each system, engine and traction control. In the shop where I work (Potomak, MD) it cost $129.00 per system, just to let you know the code( I know its a ripp of for you, but our customers live in $11 MILLION homes and I pay $1800.00 a month for 1 bedroom apartment)....

What is your intelligence in this story? 4 days later part was replaced and the lights were gone??? How did your boyfriend lead to what parts to replace? Codes? YES. Why would the dealer scan them for free? You even declined to replace cat. convertor which was under warranty? Come on now....

Honestly, I jump in front of female customer offering my help, explain in details everything, show her around, explain how troubled system works....why? B/C if she leaves the shop happy, and I fix her car right away, she will recommend 10 other customers to look for me.

BUT, if you start sh..t me with the story how your boyfriend, husband, daddy, cousin...a car tech.....WHY ARE YOU IN MY SHOP THEN?

PS; Cheking auto shop in AAA listings...thats a rip off. AAA charges shops, just like BBB monthly about $800.00, and just b/c the shop is listed in AAA approved listing, doesnt mean anything. Think about it.

Tis Tis Tis

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

People may want to read before they make comments. They should Re-Read the complaint, they will see that in the third paragraph, the 16th word states "her". I could be wrong but I think this means female. And why, being a female rep, for any company, means another female won't be ripped off? Men do it all the time to each other.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Twister - (U.S.A.)

Next time you have a problem like that just take it to Auto Zone. They'll read and give you the codes for free.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

#6 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Twister - (U.S.A.)

MASSIVE 'HANKY PANKY' is taking place!! You must...

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

NOW 'Google' the following in order to pull-up the 3 POEMS at Ripoff Report. Here is what you must now 'Google'- BERNANKE HE INHERITED A BIG PROBLEM WAS IT DUE TO ANY HANKY PANKY.

If that doesn't pull up the Ripoff Report with 'FED POEM', then 'Google' this- RIP OFF REPORT TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION USA MANIPULATION, and go to the 'Updates' section!!

More poems coming soon! 'THIRD QUARTER POEM' is available at the BusinessWeek Article entitled- A CREDIT CARD YOU WANT TO TOSS. (you can 'Google' it!)

Thanky-you.

Here's a line from 'THIRD QUARTER POEM'-

This poem is over
Time to make some spaghetti
I'll listen to Andrea Bocelli
Then I'll put on some Petty!

End.

'And I won't...back...down!' - Tom Petty

HANKY-PANKY!! WOMEN MUST BE EXTRA CAREFUL AT TOYOTA DEALERS BECAUSE....

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

WOMEN ARE TOYOTA'S NEW TARGET, according to a Rep who worked at a Toyota Dealership in Arizona a few years ago!!

Also, Toyota Corporation will TARGET women!!

'Google' this for proof- SEXUAL HARASSMENT TOYOTA, and read the Lawsuit filed by a former Toyota executive assistant in Toyota's New York corporate offices!

It seems as though 'HANKY PANKY' is on the minds of many!!!!

'Google' this- HANKY PANKY BERNANKE RIPOFF, and go to the 'Toyota Ripoff Report' and read 'FED POEM' that is one of the 'Updates'. There are two more poems for your reading enjoyment also!!!

Coming soon- 'HANKY PANKY SONG'

Here's a few lines- Please sing to the tune of; 'The Hokey Pokey'

You put your left foot in, you pull your left foot out, you put your left foot in, and you shake it all about...you read some 'HANKY PANKY' then you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about!!!

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Warranty work -- What's the problem

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

If they are replacing it under warranty part of that would be free maybe even all of it. What's the issue??? Did you ask if the other code could be resolved after the warranty work???

Just because the work being done may show a charge does not mean that they will pass all or any of those charges to you. That reflects costs back to the company for them to repair the vehicle (for the bean counters in the office).

I am sure that if you would have gotten a rental vehicle that would have been free as well.

Peter! You just blew your credibility again.

AUTHOR: Andromeda - (U.S.A.)

Peter,

'If you are so smart then why don't you fix your vehicle yourself rather than asking Toyota for help? Apparently you know soooo much more than they do.'

Space filler. Not needed.

'As for your comments about being 'ripped off' because you were female ... weren't you waited on by a female service tech?'

Where did you come up with that? I can't find where the Author said Carrie was a service tech, but I could be wrong. Who changed the Authors gender?

'Why would a woman try to take advantage of another woman? Your story is greatly lacking in credibility.'

The Authors credibility is fine. You just blew your own credibility because you do not know whether the service tech was/is female or not.

I would wonder why your cat converter was bad.

AUTHOR: Friendly Help - (U.S.A.)

My 1991 Camry went 330,000 miles and only (at the very end) needed one alternator, one starter, & one water pump. The original cat converter was still fine, as were the shocks and everything else.

I can image a clogged cat causing many codes & problems except I wonder why the VSC got involved in it. At least the cat is under warranty. Maybe your friends at Bill Penney Toyota prefer the shotgun approach.

You could always start looking around (now) for a respected independent shop. Check the AAA and also the 'mechanic's files' at the cartalk site.

If you are so smart ...

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

As for your comments about being "ripped off" because you were female ... weren't you waited on by a female service tech? Why would a woman try to take advantage of another woman? Your story is greatly lacking in credibility.