Complaint Review: Billet Specialties

• Submitted: Wed, April 10, 2013
  • Updated: Mon, April 15, 2013

• Reported By: David — The Villages Florida
Billet Specialties
BILLET SPECIALTIES, INC. 500 Shawmut Ave. LaGrange La Grange, Illinois United States of America

Billet Specialties Poor customer service. Needs to update old policies & procedures to satisfy customer. Slow resolution, still unresolved after 2 weeks. La Grange, Illinois

*Author of original report: Called Billet Specialties Marketing Manager

*Author of original report: Update on wheel issue with Billet Specialties

April 9, 2013 - Purchased 2 new 5x7 Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels from Wheelsforless.com  Wheels backordered by Billet Specialties for 2 weeks.  Upon arrival of wheels both were mounted with new BFG tires.  Upon installing one of the wheel/tire assy on the vehicle, the wheel stem became unseated, immediately blew all the air out of the tire and the stem fell back into the tire.  Thankfully this occurred before the vehicle was on the road.  Upon investigation it appears the wheel stem hole was drilled to close to the wheel lip which made it impossible for the valve stem to seat properly as there was no flat surface for the rubber stem seal.  The groove in the valve stem could not seat in the wheel hole on the inside of the wheel.  I called Billet Specialties and after a bit of discussion I was asked to send the wheel to them at my expense and they would reimburse me for shipping if the wheel was found to be defective.  Apparently, Billet Specialties has no system in place for a call tag to be emailed for pickup.  I felt this is a safety issue and if one wheel was drilled inaccurately, how many more could be drilled in the same manner.  I asked to talk with the customer assistance agent's supervisor.  He would not talk with me.  I was left to send the wheel back to Billet Industries at my expense (possible to be reimbursed later), take time from my busy work schedule to pack and ship it and then wait for an undisclosed amount of time to get a wheel in return.  Being furious, I called Wheelsforless.com who most graciously called Billet Specialties for me and Wheelsforless sent me a call tag for the wheel to go to Billet Specialties.  That was 2 weeks ago and I have heard nothing from Billet Specialties when I am going to get a new wheel back.  Poor, poor, poor customer service obviously operating under customer service practices back 20 years ago.  Lousy handling of a wheel problem that could have caused injury or death.  Lousy handling by the marketing/sales manager of Billet Specialties and lousy followup.  It has been one month now since I ordered the wheels and I still have no idea when Billet Specialties will send me a wheel back.  Absolutely a horrible and archaic way to handle a customer in the hot rod world where "word of mouth" is prime for business. I have lots of Billet Specialties products on several of our show cars and they make a good product but this experience has taught me a lesson never to recommend Billet Specialties to anyone.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/10/2013 12:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Billet-Specialties/La-Grange-Illinois-60526/Billet-Specialties-Poor-customer-service-Needs-to-update-old-policies-procedures-to-s-1042209. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Billet Specialties

Called Billet Specialties Marketing Manager

AUTHOR: David - ()

I called Scott at Billet Specialties today.  Scott advised me that the wheel they sent to me was in fact a new wheel and that they had the old wheel at Billet Specialties.  After reassessing what I thought was a bad wheel, was actually a valve stem that did not conform to their wheel thickness, therefore would not seat properly.  To resolve this issue I am going to install a valve stem with a proper size channel for their wheel thickness.

This does rectify the wheel problem, however, this entire matter would not have had to be escalated if it was handled in a more efficient way from the get go.  Communication and customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance in business today and yes, Scott did investigate and rectify the initial problem, but I hope this is a lesson for any business to handle the customer immediately, correctly and in a positive manner.

Update on wheel issue with Billet Specialties

AUTHOR: David - ()

Billet specialties responded  by sending me  back the same defective wheel I sent to them.  The valve stem hole still has aluminum shavings around the inside where a "clean" hole was never drilled.  So I once again tried to seat a  valve stem.  Same problem!  The valve stem will not seat and pushes right back through the hole into the wheel.  A product liability problem that I reported to them on the phone obviously did no good.  No response from Billet Specialties, just the same wheel was sent back.  Stupid or what?  Next step.  I am going to file a formal product liability complaint.  This is absolutely ridiculous that a company is handling this case in this manner.