Complaint Review: Blast Fitness Memorial location

• Updated: Mon, March 04, 2013

• Reported By: BK — houston Texas United States of America
Blast Fitness Memorial location
9801 Katy Fwy Houston, Texas United States of America

Blast Fitness Memorial location ABC Financial Unsavory business practice Houston, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Headache with Blast Fitness-Memorial Houston TX

*UPDATE Employee: ABC Financial

*Consumer Comment: I say: LIKE H**L!

I signed up on Feb. 1, 2012, signing the contract to allow them to tap my credit card monthly and agreeing to a $59 cancellation fee and having to get a form from the manager if cancelling then mailing the completed form to ABC Financial. Days later I noticed they had drained the lap pool. Then several days later they posted a sign that they were closing this location on Feb. 21, 2012.

Although the monthly dues would allow going to any of their locations, doing so is not practical or convenient in the time most people can allot to visiting a gym.

Blast had to know they were closing this location and it is a very poor business practice not to disclose this fact and to continue to sign up members with that onerous cancellation policy. They are inviting a class action in my opinion.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2013 10:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Blast-Fitness-Memorial-location/Houston-Texas-77024/Blast-Fitness-Memorial-location-ABC-Financial-Unsavory-business-practice-Houston-Texas-1014169. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Blast Fitness Memorial location

Headache with Blast Fitness-Memorial Houston TX

AUTHOR: TAG - (United States of America)

I signed up online on 2/4/13.  I was NEVER told this facility would be closing.  Before I signed up, I called and one of the employees said they were going to be changing the name from Bally's to Blast Fitness.  Never once did he say they would be closing.  I then go online to register.

I was unable to go to the facilty until 2/12/13 due to an injured knee.  When I went in for the first time, there were 3 employees up front and one of the staff members told me this facility was closing on 2/21/13 and she wished that new clients were being told the facility was being closed.

When I got home, I spoke with Amy at Blast Fitness Corporation.  I told her the ONLY reason I signed up was bacause the location was a few minutes away from me.  She said I could go to other facilities and I explained that the other facilities were too far for me to go.  She said she understood and that I was to call ABC Financial and let them know I needed to cancel and they were aware that some clients would be calling to cancel.  She went on and told me that I did not need to go into a facility to cancel.

I contacted ABC Financial and spoke with Joanie (2/20/13)and explained my situation.  I asked her if I could get my $54.11 since I had just signed up and only went 1 time.  She stated the facility would not refund anyone back any fees.  She said she would escalate my request and have someone contact me.  On 2/22/13, I received a call from Stephanie who said we got your message, "What do you want" (very unprofessonial).

I had to explain again my situation and she said that there was no way they were going to refund me any fees because I chose to cancel my membership.  I told her it was not like I went to the facility and just said I don't want to be a member any more.  It was the facility's fault becasue they never told us they were closing down and if they would of told me, I wouldn't of joined.  The whole purpose of me joining was to go to THAT facility.

She did not care what the reason was, she just flat out said your request for a refund is DENIED and there is no way I would get a refund.  I went online today to check my bank account and sure enough, they charged me account for another month.

I called ABC Financial and Drew was the rep I was so lucky to talk to.  At first he was nice, but when I told him they charged my card again his attitude changed.  He was so rude, he wouldn't let me talk and went on saying in Texas they had the right to change their policy, etc.  I told them that was fine, but they had no right to charge my card without my permission.  He continued to talk over me and then he put me on hold for a good 5 minutes without telling me he was doing that.

Then a woman's voice comes on and said her name was Whitney and that she needed to know what I needed.  I told her that I did not know why she got on when Drew was being unprofessional and rudely placed me on hold and threw me off to her.  Again I had to tell her my situation and then she said my account was not cancelled, that the girl I spoke with put my account on investigation instead of cancelling it.  She had me send her an email to cancel my account and that I should see my refund in a few days.  I hope this actually does happen or I will be on the phone again dealing with this nonsense and misrepresentation of Blast Fitness.  Good Luck to all who are trying to deal with this issue.  I am still looking into what else can be done so this does not happen to anyone else again.

ABC Financial

AUTHOR: stephanie@abc - (USA)

Hello,

We regret to hear your recent experience with ABC Financial Services was not a satisfactory one. I would like the opportunity to review your account and see that proper action has been taken. We strive to address all consumer feedback, positive or negative, and want to make sure your situation was handled properly.

Unfortunately, I was not able to locate your membership with the information provided in this post. Please email me at Stephanie.cook@abcfinancial.com with either your 9 digit agreement number or the home phone number on your account so that I may look into this for you.

Stephanie Cook

Customer Relationship Specialist

ABC Financial Services, Inc.

I say: LIKE H**L!

AUTHOR: Mike in Spring Branch - (United States of America)

I am seeking to join any class action against blast. Will be printing t-shirts to help pass the word.

Memorial City club has been filthy since these clowns took over and now they are going to steal a bunch of people's money. Not sure why they are vacating the facility, but I believe the theory of forcible eviction.. My Bally's ran out Jan 9, 2k13 and these jackholes sent no notice in advance of that regarding what to expect or what to do should I wish to continue to use the club. I even twice interrupted blase Blast front desk associates busily wasting their entire shift playing on their cellphones, in my effort to discover what was to happen with my membership. Best I could get was "Usually you just wait til it expires... they'll send you something.." TWO WEEKS after the expiration I finally get a notice dated from mid DECEMBER. Decided to remain and signed on Feb 4. to join a club that, as it turns out, will be closed 17 days later. I have to give 30 days notice??, but they can make me drive to Sharpstown (ten times farther than I have been) on notice of... what was it when the easel and sign went up?.. about a week??? Wrong on so many levels.

Let's get together on this! Numerous arguable footholds for legal action as I see it:
Making people pay cancellation fees (so soon after joining a facility that's about to die)??.. and that ridiculous "price lock fee"??

I question the legality of a so called price lock unless it is OPTIONAL! Furthermore, ALL legal notice times must be reasonable and must be the same amount of time for both parties.

I also question the legal enforceability of a contract which includes cancellation penalty/charges even when required notice is given.

Gotta run. Gonna hit Academy and pick up a blank T-shirt and a magic marker on the way to blast. I'll be easy to spot.