1. We called Blevins about replacing one section of driveway (about the size of a patio).
2. Caleb Blevins came AM Thu., 9/13/12; told about his "crews", "trucks", "big jobs" done.
3. He said they'd rip ours out & complete it today.
4. We signed for $1100.00. He said he was "out of gas & his forgot wallet." Put 30% down - $330 total ($30 cash & $300 check).
5. An hour later he called saying "forgot" to add in the concrete price so because it was "his mistake' "he would pay $200" & for "us to pay $200 more." (Contract states concrete included.) He said the cement was to be delivered at 3 pm.
6. One worker arrived about 1. [continued below]....
.....5 hours after we signed the contract and brought cement saw, 2 spud bars, 1 wood-splitting maul. (No sludge hammer, no jack-hammer, no bobcat to remove debris, no dump truck.)
7. Blevins arrived a bit later, this time dressed to work on the driveway, also.
8. About 1/4 of concrete slab was broken up first day with these 2 guys doing it by hand. (Not "ripped right out" like he told us prior to signing the contract.)
9. 2nd day (Fri. 9/14/12) Blevins said "another yard of concrete was needed" ($60 - $80 more). And he said he "needed $700 today to buy wire mesh, cement & remove rubble". Took our $700 check & was gone about 4 hours.
10. When back, Blevins & worker argued. Worker left, never returned. The cement saw, spud bars & wood-splitting maul belonged to the worker and he left with them. About 80% of old concrete was broken up when the guy walked of the job.
11. Blevins had no tools (not an equipped concrete co.). WE loaned Blevins a sludge hammer, power saw, spud bar & wire cutter.
12. Blevins left at 5 PM, & 5% concrete was left to be broken. He left a large amount of rubble (6" in diameter & less) within area. Several times he said he "was leaving the rubble in the area to be repaved so it wouldn't need as much concrete.
13. WE removed all of the rubble from area to be repaved ourselves after Blevins left for the day.
13. Saturday 9/15/12, Blevins broke up the final small piece (the 3rd day on the job which prior to signing the contract he said it would take one day to not only "rip out the old concrete but also pour and finish the job). He ordered cement in my presence for Monday at 11 AM.
14. I called the cement company Monday early and was told that Blevins cancelled concrete order that morning at 6 AM.
15. Blevins didn't show up for 3 more business days until early on Thu. 9/20/12 He said he had allergies plus he couldn't work with the rain (it only sprinkled here). He said he didn't have our phone number to tell us he wouldn't be here. (Funny how he had it and called several times other days because the number was stored on his cell phone.) He did the few things on Thursday morning that still needed to be done to ready area for wire mesh & cement pouring.
16. Blevins had left a few tools to put in the last pieces of rebar and to work the cement once it was poured. He laid out the tools in position so they were ready once the cement arrived.
17. Blevins said his brother was coming with the wire mesh to be put down before the cement was poured. (On two previous days Blevins said his "brother was coming to haul away the concrete rubble. Of course, no concrete debris was ever removed by Blevins or his brother or by any arrangement of Blevin. Then he sat in his car on the street as if waiting for the delivery. I would look out fairly often to see if he was still waiting out there. Just 3 or 4 minutes after I last looked out, he moved his car into our driveway, loaded up all his remaining tools and took off. I heard his car start up in the driveway, looked out, only to see him pull out the driveway and out the street.
18. He took our money and left us with an unfinished job. No concrete rubble was removed, no wire mesh arrived, no cement was poured, no finished driveway area. He did not complete the work according to the contract.
19. We were VERY patient with him. We were giving him a chance to make good on our contract agreement.
20. Apparently he'd rather rip off people on Social Security than do honest work.