Complaint Review: Blockbuster Video

• Submitted: Tue, October 14, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, December 04, 2008

• Reported By:va beach Virginia
Blockbuster Video
776 Hilltop North Shopping Center Virginia Beach, Virginia U.S.A.

Blockbuster Video Fraudulently attempted to charge me a set up charge. Theft by by management. Virginia Beach Virginia

*UPDATE Employee: Response to customer complaint about setup fee

*UPDATE Employee: WOW

On July, 30th, I attempted to open an account and rent 4 movies from one of Blockbuster's stores located at 776 Hilltop North Shopping Center, Virginia Beach, Virginia. As I had not rented in excess of three months, I was told by Steven that I was subject to a setup fee of $10.00. This was in his words to put me back in the system. When I questioned the fee he stated that I would also be enrolled in a rewards program of some kind.

I informed Steven that I was not interested and left the store. When I returned home I called the800 # to verify the charge. The answer I received from Tammy was that Blockbuster didn't have a mandatory setup charge. When I asked for the regional Manager's name I was hung up on. I then filled out an online complaint.

Two days later I received a call from Kari who identified herself as a manager at the aforementioned store location. She stated that she would set me up in the system and give me a $10.00 credit. When I inquired about the attempted fraud, I was told that Steven was also a manager and she could not address the issue with him. I then asked for and received the regional manager's name and number, Joey Harker. I called and left my name and number on his voice mail, but he has not called me back.

The issue is clearly an attempted theft by the manager. If he would do this to me he's doing it to many potential new customers. In the current business climate, I fail to see how this type of behavior is an asset to Blockbuster Video. I believe it is clearly an infringement on any reputable company's core values.

Nottakingit
va beach, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/14/2008 09:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Blockbuster-Video/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23451/Blockbuster-Video-Fraudulently-attempted-to-charge-me-a-set-up-charge-Theft-by-by-managem-381041. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Blockbuster Video

Response to customer complaint about setup fee

AUTHOR: Holtzmanl - (U.S.A.)

As an employee of blockbuster I can vouch to say we are proud of our free membership that we offer. It does not cost to sign up for a membership. After reading the customer's complaint I did see they mentioned rewards program, which does cost 10.00. So maybe there was a misinterpretation, and he was offering you the rewards program for setting your membership which cost 10.00. We always sell that product to customers signing up for new accounts.

AUTHOR: Nuggets - (U.S.A.)

I must say, I read a lot of ripoff reports on Blockbuster and have found that most lack the "rip-off," worthy credit.

I also must comment that this is indeed a 100% rip-off. I must apologize on behalf of the company and that employee that tried to charge you. All of blockbuster's programs are 100% not mandatory and that employee trying to do what he did is completely and utterly wrong.

Not only can you attribute the employees poor performance to his lack of morality but also to the managers above him who pushed him to reach his sales goal. Managers of higher caliber will trickle down the tree pushing us to sell, sell, sell. And if you don't, they threaten with write-ups, firings, less hours, etc. It's understandable WHY he did it, but no employee should EVER do that.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC