Complaint Review: Block's home consultants

• Updated: Mon, January 13, 2014

• Reported By: 203kHUDvictim — New Jersey
Block's home consultants
812 Hamilton St Somerset, New Jersey USA

Block's home consultants aka Paul B. Gorrell 203K HUD consultant doubled dipping and recommending a non reliable 203K contractor for his own interest Somerset New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: I had a horrible experience too

*Consumer Comment: Seems as though your issue is with the contractor's work!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: i can not beleive this is true

This company specifically Paul B. Gorrell, ripped us and screw us off. He often times work with a contractor named Mr. Reynold McDonald and they will both screw you off. ( I will do a separate review for RM Home Improvement owned by Reynold McDonald) We recently purchased a home and had a 203K HUD construction loan with it. Paul B. Gorrell was the 203K construction loan consultant recommended by our lender. We trusted him at first because he seems to be credible however he started showing signs that he is not working for the home owner ‘s (who pays him) own benefit. 203K HUD consultant is supposed to work for the home owner’s interest to make sure that the work done by the contractor is correct and in compliance with the standard, contract and specification but he doesn’t. Here are examples of what he has done: 1. Paul will say everything is done correctly by the contractor on the house during an inspection so the contractor can order a money draw even though the contractor’s work is defective. 2. He will charge the homeowner an inspection visit and charge the bank at the same time without telling the bank that the homeowner has already paid him for an inspection. 3. Paul is not supposed to release 100% of the total budget until the work is done but Paul will keep pushing you to release the money and lied to us that we are supposed to release all the money to continue the work which is obviously not true. The contract (HUD guideline) says only release the remaining 20% of the budget when the final work is completed 4. We informed Paul that we are not happy with the work of the contractor and we are thinking of firing him. Paul again lied to us and told us that the contractor can pull the permit if we fire him which is not correct because according to the town, the home owner owns the permit. 5. After we told paul we want to fire the contractor, he forced us to release more money to the contractor because according to him, it is in the contract that we need to release money every 30 days. Again this is incorrect-not in the contract This is just some example of the things he has done to screw us. It is obvious that he and the contractor is working together to take money from the home owner. Also, the Paul is not supposed to recommend a contractor because he is supposed to be the homeowner’s consultant. Both Paul B. Gorrell and Mr. Reynold McDonald is a crook.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2014 11:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Blocks-home-consultants/Somerset-New-Jersey-08873/Blocks-home-consultants-aka-Paul-B-Gorrell-203K-HUD-consultant-doubled-dipping-and-reco-1115158. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Block's home consultants

I had a horrible experience too

AUTHOR: HUD-winked - (USA)

Paul Gorrell did not recommend a contractor for me, as I already had one secured. However, he was very difficult to work with. First, he seemed more concerned with his consultation fees than the actual work that I needed to have done, which was a real turnoff considering the 203k is so confusing for consumers. I could have REALLY used actual consultation on the loan when the job was getting scoped out, rather than a constant reminder of Paul's fees growing as my loan grew.

Second, I found Paul to be highly excitable when I would ask questions, become confused or ask him to help me coordinate with the bank and/or contractor. He made matters worse when he would become high pitched, talk over me and become frustrated, when I really needed someone to explain to me how things should operate with this loan. At times it felt like I was dealing with an indignant teenager.

Last, Paul seemed to check out once he got his initial $900 fee and acted unprofessionally on the second draw by simply not showing up to meet myself and the contractor at our agreed upon time. My time and the time of a contractor are valuable (as is everyone's time) and to coordinate our lives and be stood up was enormously embarrasing and caused the contractor to leave for another meeting. I fired him that day and spent the next 48 hours (4 days before Xmas) trying to frantically secure another HUD consultant and bring them up to speed.

The moral of the story here is that the 203k loan is complicated and has many moving parts. I would suggest going with a consultant who is even-keeled, calm and knowlegable, so they can truly act as your guide and resource towards getting your dreamhome. I would not suggest Paul Gorrell for that job.

Seems as though your issue is with the contractor's work!

AUTHOR: L. Robinson - ()

I can attest to the fact that Mr. Gorrell is an upstanding 203K consultant with over 20 years experience. 1 bad review from a customer who obviously wasn't upset with Mr. Gorrell's work, but the work of the contractor that he referred. I think the only mistake that Mr. Gorrell made was in referring a contractor to a customer (who more than likely REQUESTED this referral) as it's not in his benefit at all.

Not cool to tarnish someone's reputatin off of their referral!!!!

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

i can not beleive this is true

AUTHOR: martel - ()

my name is martel scurry and i am a former employee of blocks home consultants. I find these allegations very hard to believe because i have witnessed first hand alot of mr. Gorrell's business dealings and have found them to be not only meticulous and detailed but also very thorough and satisfying to his clients.

Furthermore,when I was employed with the company, I noticed that he did not do that much advertising so alot of business was generated by word of mouth so your reputation is what allowed him to flourish.I have referred him to several people and will continue to do so because he is not only a great businessman but also a great person as well.