Complaint Review: Blue Rhino Propane/Sears Hardware

• Submitted: Thu, October 24, 2002
  • Updated: Mon, April 03, 2006

• Reported By:Albuquerque NM
Blue Rhino Propane/Sears Hardware
Wyoming NE, Abq, NM Albuquerque, New Mexico U.S.A.

Blue Rhino Propane Sears Hardware ripoff Albuquerque New Mexico

*Consumer Suggestion: Fill Blue Rhino Tanks

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Simple Logic Needed to Be Used Here

I took my Blue Rhino propane bottle to refill it and turns out it can't be refilled except by Blue Rhino. Instead of paying $1.45/gal for 5 gallons of propane, I had to pay $ 19.95 to exchange the thing for a full bottle! I made sure to exchange it for an Amerigas cylinder, which is refillable anywhere.

I originally bought the bottle at Sears Hardware. I checked there and all they had for exchange were more Blue Rhino cylinders. When I complained, they just looked at me and tried to blame the propane dealer that couldn't refill the thing. It even says on the bottle that only Blue Rhino can refill it. Needless to say, I won't do business with Sears and I went elsewhere to exchange the bottle for a refillable one...

Bob
Albuquerque, New Mexico

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/24/2002 06:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Blue-Rhino-PropaneSears-Hardware/Albuquerque-New-Mexico/Blue-Rhino-Propane-Sears-Hardware-ripoff-Albuquerque-New-Mexico-33359. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Blue Rhino Propane/Sears Hardware

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Fill Blue Rhino Tanks

AUTHOR: Edward - (U.S.A.)

I am a backyard BBQ Expert and use Blue Rhino
Tanks. I can always get my tanks refilled at the
KOA CAMP GROUND: Juan Tabo and Skyline RD. just
south of I40 and North of Ccentral West Albuquerque. You must have the latest legal tank,
with the new regulation shutoffs.
They are very helpfull there.
Ed
Albuquerque
nm

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Simple Logic Needed to Be Used Here

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

Bob,

I ran the Albuquerque Sears Hardware customer service desk for 2.5 years (I'm an ex-employee) while in college. I can see why a consumer might feel ripped-off at having to pay "full" price to exchange thier propane bottle. The prices are set by Blue Rhino Propane and not by Sears... the store operates w/them to try and provide better service for its customers. Obviously, Blue Rhino as a company can't provide refill stations at every place that it does business, it is simply impractical as it would be prohibitively expensive. They will however refill your propane if you take it to them... just like Amerigas will. What you are paying for is the convienence of a fast, safety checked, exchange at a nearby location.

Even though I no longer work for Sears, I'm sorry that you won't do business w/ them in the future. If the store manager was there (Richard) I'm sure that he would have done his best to keep you as a customer or would've at least provided you w/ a better explanation. Best Wishes.