Complaint Review: Bluegreen Corporation

• Submitted: Thu, June 04, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, May 05, 2010

• Reported By:Bronx New York
Bluegreen Corporation
4960 Conference Way N., #100 Boca Raton, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 561-912-8000
  • Web:
  • Category: Resorts

Bluegreen Corporation Complete liars! Tell you one thing, but have you sign another. Boca Raton Florida

*Consumer Comment: Happened to me as well

*Consumer Comment: I am a very satisfied Vacation Owner

*Consumer Comment: Wow, Bluegreen's yearly fees really get that high.

*Consumer Comment: Why blame a corporation for the actions of individuals?

*Consumer Suggestion: File complains with these

*Consumer Suggestion: File complains with these

We were told our biennial vacation points would not expire if not used; they would keep rolling over into coming years. They even assured us those practices of expiring points would cease even though it was detailed in the contracts we signed (a main factor in us deciding to buy). They told us it was okay, they wouldn't expire. We didn't use our points for 2006 & in 2007, our family suffered an awful car accident so we didn't use it then either. Thinking we had them for use this year, we were told they expired last year. When we called them about the issue, they told us it's in our contract. My timeshare is paid & now I'm looking to sell it which has to be done through a 3rd-party, not Bluegreen as they had promised.

They promised many, many things that weren't in the contract and we were told to ignore the contract wording that indicated our points would expire after the second year. Even after a tape-recorded phone interview where they "explained" the contract wording and asked us to confirm that we understood, we were REPEATEDLY told it was okay, that wasn't going to happen. They cleverly take you to a computer that computes the cost of inflation and what your vacations would cost in coming years and say you will be saving because you won't be paying for inflation, yet their maintenance fees continue to increase. They didn't even tell us about the Vacation Club dues that are $100+ per year. So I pay $600+ a year in fees to get 7,000 points EVERY OTHER YEAR and those 7,000 points won't even cover a week's vacation in the summer. (That's in addition to the $7,700+ I paid for the timeshare "privilege.")

I filed a complaint with the BBB and Bluegreen's response was to cite all the places where it is stated in the contract all the things I was complaining about.

P.S. For those of you who wish to write a rebuttal about me signing the contract and not having read it, I don't want to hear it. I know damn well that I made the mistake of believing the words told to me and not paying full attention to the wording of a contract. It's the oldest trick in the book; they tell you one thing, but have you sign another. I take full responsibility for my naivety, but that doesn't negate the fact that Bluegreen engages in deceptive practices when selling their timeshares.

As we have learned courtesy of Bernard Madoff, a little charm goes a long way when you're trying to con people out of their money. Highly intelligent people were taken for a ride by him. Why is it so unbelievable that I was taken for a ride by Bluegreen? Just look at all the complaints on this site. It doesn't speak very well of this company's integrity.... or lack thereof!

M M
Bronx, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2009 10:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bluegreen-Corporation/Boca-Raton-Florida-33431/Bluegreen-Corporation-Complete-liars-Tell-you-one-thing-but-have-you-sign-another-Boca-458524. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bluegreen Corporation

Happened to me as well

AUTHOR: Celtika1982 - (United States of America)

Sounds like what happened to me. It's not an individual employee who is in the wrong, but the entire Corporation. They train their employees to use any means nessary to make a sale. Make any promise.
We are currently disputing our contract with them, so stopped making payments. Their mortgage department called to find out why we were so unhappy, and after telling her 2 of the lies we were told, interrupted me to say, and I quote "That's just the 'Sales Pitch'."
The illegal and fraudulent practices are just their 'sales pitch'. This entire company is corrupt.

Contact timeshareaide.com and see if they can offer you some advice.

I am a very satisfied Vacation Owner

AUTHOR: Scluckey - (U.S.A.)

I have been a Bluegreen Vacation Club Owner for 3 1/2 years and have been nothing but satisfied. We have even upgraded since our original purchase. I started off with 8,000 bi-annual points, and have upgraded to an annual package. It was explained to me, VERY clearly that the points from my bi-annual package do NOT roll over to the next year, but that they are good for 2 years and then they expire. I was told that any points left over at the end of the second year of the bi-annual package would expire, and then I would get reloaded with my points for the next two years. It was also explained to me that during the second year of the bi-annual package I could borrow points from the following year.
I have booked a vacation at 4 different resorts in the last 3 years without any problems. These were all full week vacations, too. Every resort so far has been amazing. The staff is kind and considerate, and the resorts are beautiful.
If people had a better understanding of how this vacation club works, there wouldn't be so many complaints.
I gladly speak on the side of Bluegreen Corporation by saying, based on my experience it is not a rip-off or scam and I love my vacation ownership and plan on upgrading again.

Wow, Bluegreen's yearly fees really get that high.

AUTHOR: Sheryl - (U.S.A.)

I beg your pardon, I was wrong - the yearly fees for 7000 EOY points really do approach $600, or get there, if you've got Traveler's Plus. I know people with your contract who make good use of it with bonus time and hot weeks and whatnot, get two good vacations a year out of it plus many weekends that way, but I sure wouldn't be happy with that set up. Which is to say, along with the apology for contradicting you and offering bad info, that part of people's lack of sympathy for you may be that their experience doesn't match up with yours. Most Bluegreen owners are not paying fees anywhere near as high per point. I pay more per year than you do, but I get a lot more out of what I'm paying, too.

I think this is the first time I've seen logic to the standard Bluegreen salespeople's response to problems - buying more points. Getting more points second hand would raise your fees, but you'd be able to do a heck of a lot more for less per point. Which is true to some extent for most Bluegreen owners: I'm paying $735.80 right now for 8000 yearly points - if I doubled my points to 16000, I'd be paying $1032.60, so for $300 more a year I could do twice as much. And since I don't care whether I have authorized points or not, right now I could purchase them second hand for less than a $1000 (although buying second hand can end up being a bigger problem than the situation you're already in). But you notice I'm already paying not much more yearly than you are, while getting more than twice what you get. From my perspective, you got a bad deal.

OTOH, I know some Bluegreen owners who're happy with their EOY contract - but I also know it takes some tweaking to get good value out of it. I'm not interested in bothering with that, and it seems you aren't, either. But it is very much a buyers' market right now with timeshares, so instead of trying to sell you might look into ways of maximizing what you already own - hot weeks and bonus time and all that lot. Some people, once they get over the shock and rage of being lied to by a salesperson, go on to have a fairly good relationship with Bluegreen, even with EOY points.

There are EOY owners at the Bluegreen Yahoo group who might be able to advise you should you end up going that route. If the people selling to you lied about what you were getting, it's likely you don't know how to make the best use of what you have. I knew from the git go that I wasn't interested in bonus time or hot weeks or any of that, but in your situation I'd sure give it a shot and see if I could work that way after all.

Why blame a corporation for the actions of individuals?

AUTHOR: Sheryl - (U.S.A.)

"Even after a tape-recorded phone interview where they "explained" the contract wording and asked us to confirm that we understood, we were REPEATEDLY told it was okay, that wasn't going to happen."

As you mention, Bluegreen has already implemented policies to try to prevent their employees from lying to you. You trusted the human beings telling you that the exercise you were going through - taping your voice as understanding that the contract meant "A" when in reality you're getting "B" - was somehow meaningless. When it turns out they lied to you, why do you then turn on Bluegreen, the company that tried to protect you? Why don't you blame the people who lied to you?

You trusted the liars over the company, the very company you were signing the contract with, and there's a sense where you're siding with the liars still. No Bluegreen salesperson "has" to lie, and when the company is clearly making an effort to get the truth to the customer (the summary without legaleze, the taped evidence that people were told what the contract actually means, etc.), I see no reason to assume Bluegreen approves of lying salespeople.

Maybe you need to be challenging Bluegreen on another front, though. I don't know any Trust Fund where a Bluegreen owner of 7000 Biennial points should be paying $600 every year. I don't like the looks of an every-other-year contract for a number of reasons, but I'd never heard they meant paying maintenance fees roughly double what most other Bluegreen owners do.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

File complains with these

AUTHOR: Arijana - (U.S.A.)

Hi, there,

It's exactly what happened to us, during sale presentation they said one thing and it turned out we signed for something different, plus who reads over 20 pages contract not in simple language during their vacation? Please file as a report with federal consumer protection agency, the more people complain the sooner investigation will be done. Then I just filed complaint with NY Attorney General' office, and consumer protection agency in FLorida, (that's were headquaters are located) and consumer protection agency in South Carolina (that's were we purchased this "wonderful" vaccation package). Right now i'm looking for the lawyer to file a law suit, i'm so irritated by this whole thing. During sale presentation they forgot to mention about fees increasing every year, they said they will buy it back when we don't want it, - now they say: "it's not in the contract", they promised to rent our points out, now they don't offer this program anymore. If you have a way to egt rid of this time share and get money back, please let me know,

#6 Consumer Suggestion

File complains with these

AUTHOR: Arijana - (U.S.A.)

Hi, there,