Complaint Review: Bob Evans Farms

• Submitted: Tue, January 08, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, October 01, 2008

• Reported By:Dunbar West Virginia
Bob Evans Farms
MacCorkle Ave South Charleston, West Virginia U.S.A.

Bob Evans Farms Had Chest Pains one day I have early stages of CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) I asked to leave early. South Charleston West Virginia

*UPDATE Employee: Agree with "Something Missing"

*UPDATE Employee: Somethings missing

*Consumer Comment: Oh, well.

Been at Bob Evans for 3 months now, I was hired as a server, but now they have me bussing tables only, I told them I have CHF and gave them dr's notes they told me I need to work faster and harder...I work 6 days a week. I am only human not a machine....

Concernedconsumer
Dunbar, West Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2008 06:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bob-Evans-Farms/South-Charleston-West-Virginia-25062/Bob-Evans-Farms-Had-Chest-Pains-one-day-I-have-early-stages-of-CHF-Congestive-Heart-Failu-298227. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bob Evans Farms

Agree with "Something Missing"

AUTHOR: Autiemommy2008 - (U.S.A.)

There are times when we, as well as our employers, believe at first we can succeed in a certain position. Once in that position, in your case a server, it becomes apparent to one or the other party that the position is not best suited for us. Serving is a very demanding job, both physically and mentally. Often times, serving requires pre-bussing and bussing heavy trays of dishes and glasses with balance, extreme multi-tasking and prioritization (Do I get the food that's up in the window, drinks for the table just sat, clear those other dirty tables in my section, or get the check for the steaming mad customer glaring at me at the moment?), and dealing with both the sometimes extreme expectations of seemingly unhappy customers as well as "server politics" (the familiar bickering that ensues from a group of women working in close corridors all too often).

My point is simply that it seems evident that your managers did not feel the server position was best suited for you, for one reason or another. However, as opposed to many private companies, they did not terminate you. In an effort to help you be more successful, they recategorized you to the dishtanker position. My brother works as a dishtanker for this company. He is disabled. He loves the job. According to him, his position is the only one in the building that is removed from the "server politics" and customer demands. His job remains pretty much the same everyday, allowing him to learn to do it better and better each day, giving him a sense of familiarity when he goes to work. He has worked six days on some occasions, but only on his approval. He is only scheduled five days a week. He's never forced to work six days a week.

You shouldn't feel bad about being recategorized. A doctor might not be a great attorney, but that doesn't mean he should feel bad about being a doctor. Embrace the fact that your managers care enough about your success to attempt to find you a position that was better suited for you. There's always a silver lining. Search for it. I'm quite sure this bitter stress is not good for your heart condition either. If you still find it difficult to believe your employer has your best interest in mind, you can always find another job you feel is better suited for you. This company has done wonders for helping my autistic brother with an anoxic brain injury, cognitive dysfunction, and dropped foot an opportunity to earn a living in a friendly, family atmosphere. I hope your health and outlook improve. I wish you the best.

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Waiting tables is a healthy, young person's game. I did it for twelve years. I'm only in my mid-thirties now, and I certainly don't conceive of myself of being able to deal with the stress and fast pace of server work. And this coming from a bankruptcy attorney whose success or failure can mean the difference of millions of dollars.

Waiting tables is a TOUGH gig. With CHF, hats off to you for making it as long as you did.

Somethings missing

AUTHOR: Anon. - (U.S.A.)

I have worked for Bob Evans for about 4 years now and happen to know that the company did away with buspersons. Unless it is an unusually busy day, the servers bus their own tables. It is a really great way of reducing the amount of money stolen off of tables and reduces the work on the dish tank operater. It's really too bad that you were taken off of the floor but there must have been a reason why, sometimes those who cant seem to grasp the ticket markings or who don't give good customer service are taken off of the floor and instead of termination, are given the chance to try another area of the restaurant. Hope your health is in good standing.

Oh, well.

AUTHOR: Prissy - (U.S.A.)

Someone with CHF has no business working in a fast paced industry such as the resaurant business. You need to find some other area of employment.