• Report: #1001904

Complaint Review: Boca Beauty Academy

• Submitted: Wed, January 23, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, January 23, 2013

• Reported By: Boynton Beach, FL — Boynton Beach Florida United States of America
Boca Beauty Academy
7820 Glades Rd Boca Raton, Florida United States of America

Boca Beauty Academy Use Extreme Caution When Dealing With This Company Boca Raton, Florida

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Florida Requirements to Teach in Cosmetology Schools

My wife who is a PA licensed Cosmetologist / Esthetician / Nail tech / Massage Therapist visited this beauty school to learn about the requirements for teaching in a Beauty school in FL. We recently retired and relocated here from PA and were unfamiliar to FL regulations. She was met by Tammy who proceded to explain the FL regs and stated that the Teachers Course was a requirement in FL to teach in a Beauty School. We paid the required tuition satisfied that we were doing the right thing. The next day my wife stops by a local Beauty School to measure the need for instructors and was advised by the staff that a Teachers course was NOT a requirement in FL. However helpful it may be - it is not required as Tammy deceptively stated. As we felt lied to we quickly reviewed the contract that was signed and discovered, in short, that All tuition AND application fees would be refunded if Boca Beauty was notified by certified mail within 3 business days of the signing of the contract. We quickly fired off a cancellation and demand letter to Boca Beauty and had the certified mail postmarked in 2 business days to which they received it within the required 3 business days. After 2 weeks I contacted Boca Beauty to check the status of the refund and was after 2 days received a call from "Guy" who is apparently their financial officer. Keep in mind I am a retired Physician with over 25 years of professional practice. I hold a Bachelors Degree in General Science and a Doctorate degree and, along with my wife, owned a diversified business for 25 years. To say the least Guy was not used to speaking to someone who saw through his BS in a second. First he starts off with "Good News - I am going to issue you a refund today." I already smelled something fishy when he started off with "Good News"!??  I said thats fine - How Much? to which he said it would be for a prorated amount of about $450. I stated that we met all of the requirements for a FULL refund of $1050. He replied that we did not get the cancellation request in by the required 3 business days to which I said I have a certified recipt that says I did. He said he would call me back after some investigation. He did call back - 5 times! Each time he tried to BS his way with a lame excuse why he wasnt going to refund the full amount. (we didnt get a certified letter) then (we did get the certified letter but it was signed after business hours - really?!) then ( I've "escalated" this to the owner and I can refund most of the amount due) finally (there are no schools that refund the application fee). After all this I realized Guy had never read his own contract! He was unaware of the verbage it contained. 2 weeks later we received a call from Guy on the day that they were required, by their own contract, to pay the refund after which they would be in violation and he said he needed our debit card number to refund the money. You guessed it - NO refund. 4 days later we got a partial (90%) refund. I am contacting the FL Dept of Education and BBB regarding the slippery way this company does business. Not that I expect anything to come of it but if enough complaints are filed then at some point it will have an impact on their business. Any business that conducts themselves in this manner is struggling at best or are just plain greedy. Best bet is to find another school. Whatever you do, dont pay in full. Pay as you go or you too will be writing a letter to Ripoff Report. PS - Dont you love how they reply to these reports with unsubstantiated statements. I asked to be called by the owner to discuss this issue - no call. Still waiting for the remainder of my refund. Although I am anonymous here, they know who I am - just ask Guy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2013 11:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Boca-Beauty-Academy/Boca-Raton-Florida-33434/Boca-Beauty-Academy-Use-Extreme-Caution-When-Dealing-With-This-Company-Boca-Raton-Florid-1001904. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Boca Beauty Academy

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Florida Requirements to Teach in Cosmetology Schools

AUTHOR: Integrity is our #1 Priority - ()

Although I believe this matter has been settled to the consumers satisfaction, I wanted to clarify the requirements to teach in a Cosmetology school.

All institutions licensed in the state of Florida are required to provide their school catalog either in print or online to their students and prospective students.

Under our Instructor Training Program, it is clearly indicated the following sentence: "License not required to teach in the state of Florida".

We always believe in being transparent in our communications to students and publishing the relevant state guidelines for each of our programs for the sake of candor and integrity.