Complaint Review: Boingo Wireless

• Submitted: Sun, October 28, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, December 25, 2012

• Reported By: Feralhuman — Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States of America
Boingo Wireless

Boingo Wireless Unauthorized Charges to Credit Card for Monthly Service, Internet

*Author of original report: Boingo Refunded Money

*UPDATE Employee: Your Boingo Wireless Report

I traveled through London Heathrow in December of 2011. As I had a bit of a layover (24 hours) I signed up for one-off Internet service so I'd be able to chat with people back home while I waited. Unfortunately, Boingo decided to change my service to monthly, charging my credit card for $15.95 per month for the next few months.

I take responsibility for not checking my statements closely. However, I also hold Boingo responsible for the scam itself. They've set their system up to maximize those mistakes; user accounts are automatically set to "do not notify me of charges to my credit card" and service is upgraded to the monthly plan regardless of the option selected when one signs up.

For those being charged multiple times as they travel, I suggest uninstalling the Boingo client from your devices. I also suggest contacting your credit card company, as Boingo is clearly taking advantage of people's good will and trust when they process these monthly charges.

If you absolutely MUST use Boingo, get a disposable credit card (the kind that comes in $10, $25, and $50 increments) and pay that way.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/28/2012 10:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Boingo-Wireless/internet/Boingo-Wireless-Unauthorized-Charges-to-Credit-Card-for-Monthly-Service-Internet-961353. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Boingo Wireless

Boingo Refunded Money

AUTHOR: Feralhuman - (United States of America)

After some finagling and questions meant to try to get my to admit that I signed up for a plan (I did not) Boingo refunded the money. While it does not solve the underlying issue, the refund was a welcome resolution.

Your Boingo Wireless Report

AUTHOR: Boingo - (USA)

We're troubled to hear that you had a negative experience with Boingo. Rest assured we would never, ever change your service without your consent or take advantage of any of our customers. It sounds like you may have inadvertently signed up for a recurring monthly subscription. We want our customers to know exactly what their selected plan provides, which is why we display a detailed plan description at the very first step of sign-up and again in the welcome email you receive as soon as your account is created.

We'd like to investigate what happened, provide a full explanation of what transpired, and try to make things right between us. Email lsanyal@boingo.com, and we'll take care of you straight-away.

Warm Regards,