Complaint Review: Bonney Lake Optical

• Submitted: Fri, January 16, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, January 13, 2011

• Reported By:Sumner Washington
Bonney Lake Optical
21221 State Route 410 E. Bonney Lake, Washington U.S.A.
  • Phone: 253-862-1044
  • Web:
  • Category: Eye Care

Bonney Lake Optical They charge you twice retail prices for contact lenses and claim they can't buy them at a lower cost Bonney Lake Washington

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: RE: Bonney Lake Optical

*Consumer Suggestion: Contacts Prices

I has just moved up to the Bonney Lake area, so I recently switched eye doctors to the Bonney Lake Optical location. I had been seen for my annual eye exam about two months ago. I didn't need any contacts at the time, so I didn't place an order then. My exam was covered in full through my insurance.

I just called early January to place an order for my contacts since I was now out.

My insurance covers $120 worth of contact lenses. Typically my contact lenses (CIBA Focus Night and Day) cost $45/box. I get one box for each eye. Each box has 6 lenses, so it lasts me for 6 months. So - for a 6 month supply for both eyes, it is typically $90. When I went to pick the lenses up, I ended up with a balance due. Part was for the contact lens exam that they said they had to put through since I was ordering contacts now (weird, but ok, I understand that part) and the remaining was for $180 worth of contact lenses. I told them that must be a 12 month supply of lenses, as that is about double the cost of a 6 months supply. They insisted it was only for the two boxes, the six month supply.

My insurance covers $120 of the $180 price, but it left me with a $60 balance for my contact lenses. If I had got a full year's supply, this would be totally understandable - but I only got a 6 month supply. I asked over and over again if they were for sure correct on the price, as I could go anywhere else and pay half that price. They insisted the price is $90 per box of contacts, and that they couldn't even buy the contacts for $45/box. So - I grudgingly paid the bill and took my contacts.

But, once I got home, I confirmed online that anywhere else I looked they were approximately $45 and under per box. I couldn't even find a price of $90 per box ANYWHERE. My ultimate summary of this is, I believe they ordered a 12 month supply for me, billed my insurance for the full years worth - $180 (my insurance paid $120), then they billed me the $60 balance. I have called and tried to ask them about this again, and they insist they are correct.

I am working through a claim through my vision insurance as I truly feel this is inaccurate. I certainly understand mark up and I certainly understand they need to make a profit as well - but to charge double any retail prices? I really think they made an error and are either not willing to admit to it, or they truly are fradulent. I am not sure what else to do to prove my point, and to prove my account.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cindy
Sumner, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2009 10:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bonney-Lake-Optical/Bonney-Lake-Washington-98390/Bonney-Lake-Optical-They-charge-you-twice-retail-prices-for-contact-lenses-and-claim-they-412830. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bonney Lake Optical

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

RE: Bonney Lake Optical

AUTHOR: purpleprincess - (United States of America)

I used to work for this Company.

They are above board and diligent with working according to the law, Insurance company policies.

They do their best to work with the customer in getting the most from their benefits.

Typically you won't get the most out of your benefits with contact lenses. Just as Josh stated, the independantley owned office can not move the product to warrant buying mass quantity. They absolutely do not make any money from contact lenses. I personally ordered cl's for the Dr. directly from the manufacturer, the price the customer is charged is exactly what the Dr is charged. No mark up!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Contacts Prices

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

Contact Lens Prices do vary from place to place. What it depends is where you are getting them from. Usually online sites can provide contacts cheaper than say a private office can. Private practices usually will charge higher because they have to pay a higher cost for the contacts. Most private practices usually do not carry a big stock of lenses in their office and thus have to order them on an as needed basis, whereas online sites have a fairly large quanity in stock and thus can sell them at a lower cost, however online sites will not allow you to use insurance.

Next time, shop around with your Rx and insurance. You are not required to get your contacts at the same place as your eye exam. Check around to see what would be the best deal for you in your area.