Complaint Review: Boost Mobile

• Submitted: Wed, August 29, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, November 29, 2012

• Reported By:Accokeek Maryland
Boost Mobile
P.O. Box 54988 Irvine, California U.S.A.

Boost Mobile Pivacy Invasion Irvine California

*UPDATE Employee: YOUR SAFETY

*Consumer Suggestion: Boost Mobile Headquaters (Corporate) Offices

*Consumer Comment: 100,000 people share

*Author of original report: Yes It Was Only The Last 4 Numbers

*Consumer Comment: Only the last four numbers?

I call Boost Mobile to add some money to my son's phone. In order to this I need to register the CC with Boost. In order to do this I had to give my name, address and last 4 digits of of social security number.

I was then told I need to answer 3 questions. The first question was about my ex-husband of 11 years, 2nd was the age of my brother and the 3rd was about a brother I havent been near since 1984.

That is when I lost it. I asked what system were they using to get this information and was told it was public record, but per the corporate office they were not allowed to give me the name of the system they were using.

I later found out they use a vendor that gets this information. This is really scary because there is so much identiy theft going on. I am so amazed at the fact that with the last 4 digits of my social secuiry number they were able to get this information.

That just shows me how easy it is for someone to steal your identiy. The public should be warned about this. And someone needs to find out what vendor they are using to obtain this information. I know this is illegal.

Pjh
Accokeek, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/29/2007 01:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Boost-Mobile/Irvine-California-92619/Boost-Mobile-Pivacy-Invasion-Irvine-California-271106. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Boost Mobile

Just annoying

AUTHOR: SweetLikeHoney - (United States of America)

Last couple of months I started to top up online instead of going in the store, as usual, I use my husband's CC which wasn't the problem.....the problem was when it came to calling them to verify the card, the Boostmobile agent had asked to speak to the card holder, I then passed the phone to my husband.......The lady asked him for his name and SSN, she then said to him she'll ask him 3 questions from the public record, but he couldn't answer any of the questions, he had never heard of the addresses of names she had mentioned, so we just gave up since we were so frustrated and aggravated after that, I believe if someone else has the same name as you then that might be a problem, there are many people with the same name as my husband (even his father!), It happened again today so I just told the lady to just cancel it, I might even just get rid of Boostmobile, I am worried though since they asked him for his details, there should be some kind of data protection!!!!!

Get the gist

AUTHOR: Nuna Yobizz - (United States of America)

Give them 4 digits and they will give you the medical report from you last visit to the proctologist.

Thats the gist of the whole problem

Verid is perfectly legal

AUTHOR: Bico - (U.S.A.)

All the initial information we ask for to put your credit card number on the account is easily obtainable by thieves. Your ssn is also easily obtainable. The questions that are generated are from RSA's verid system (www.rsa.com), and they are based on your public records: things like your birth records (so we can have questions on family members, and where they live and their ages, because the average thief wouldn't know that info on your family, but you definitely should), vehicle reports, leases, etc. You can pass two out of three to get through, and I've never seen anyone call in and answer "none of the above," and pass.

Of course, we agents cannot see the answers to the questions, only whether you've passed or failed. It's possible that "none of the above" was the correct answer for two of the three questions when a previous poster's sister called in, we have no way of confirming that. We do not save any of your personal information on our computers (though RSA already has all this information before you call us, so you're just confirming with us) and employees are not allowed any means on the production floor by which we could take the info with us.

From what I have personally been told by Boost Headquarters, this process is actually mandated by the FCC, so is perfectly legal. However, if you are uncomfortable with the process, it is your perogative to choose with whom you do business. For every paranoid person who goes crazy when asked to verify themselves, there are fifty people who actually praise us for being concerned with identity theft. So, while I'll agree that there are some definite problems with Boost Mobile's business practices, this is NOT one of them.

HELLO!!

AUTHOR: Aggravated - (U.S.A.)

Hello wake up and smell the coffee ... the questions that we are asking you are collected from PUBLIC RECORDS , therefore that means anyone on this universe has access to this information. We are not invading you, or any other customers privacy for that matter!!

No Saftey

AUTHOR: Pjh - (U.S.A.)

This is no saftey in what is being done by Boost. My sister went through the same process and she answer no to all the questions and it still went through. What you are saying makes no since, my brother's age has nothing to do with me, especially when we havent had any connection in over 15 years, we dont even live in the same state.

Furthermore, that is just one of the many complaints that I had with Boost and I am not going to take the time to go into all of them, but I can tell what I did was take my business to a more trustwrothy company and therefore I dont have to deal with this crap that you are putting out.

As a matter of fact I would suggest that is what all of your customers do, but then again whenever I speak to someone who has gone through this process with your company that is exactly what they do. Leave the company. It is too many cell phone companies out here to deal with one that I feel is opearting under suspicious behavior that I deam inapporiate.

YOUR SAFETY

AUTHOR: Aggravated - (U.S.A.)

THE PROCESS THAT WE USE BEFORE WE CAN ADD A CREDIT IS TRULY FOR THE CONSUMERS SAFETY. FOR EXAMPLE IF YOUR CARD WAS FOUND ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND WE DID NOT HAVE THE VERIFICATION PROCESS ANYONE COULD CALL IN AND USE, WHERE AS WITH THE QUESTIONS ONLY YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER THEM CORRETLY. HONESTLY WHAT ARE OUR REPS GOING TO DO WITH INFORMATION SUCH AS YOUR BROTHERS AGE?? WE COULD REALLY CARE LESS THERE IS NO WAY TO STEAL YOUR IDENTITY BY KNOWING YOUR BROTHERS AGE OR WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU HAVE OWNED IN THE PAST. YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL THAT WE ENFORCE THIS PROCESS.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Boost Mobile Headquaters (Corporate) Offices

AUTHOR: Philliptyler - (U.S.A.)

After a 3 day search I was finally able to locate and verify the Corporate or as Boost calls it Headquaters.

Physical Address:

8845 Irvine Center Drive
Suite 200
Irvine, Ca 92618

Ph: (949) 789-4800
Fax: (949) 789-4888

I hope this information helps! :-)

Phillip
Sacramento, Ca

100,000 people share

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

the first 5 digits of their SSN (10 to the 5th power.)

I was trying to tell you that is highly likely that they DO have your complete SSN.

I would bet on it.

You would be amazed at how easy it is to find someone's SSN on the internet. All you need to know is what public records databases to check.

In recent years, many state and local governments (at least in NY) have been removing the SSN from their databases, but the majority still have them.

Many folks seem to believe that someone can't get their SSN unless they give it to them - simply NOT true.

Folks need to become more aware of this.

Yes It Was Only The Last 4 Numbers

AUTHOR: Pjh - (U.S.A.)

Boost mobile does not have my social security number. There is no reason for them to have this number because this is a pre-paid phone. I call Boost customer service to try to get the number to the corporate office, the rep. asked did I have a complaint about one of the reps.

I told him my problem was with the cc verification process, when all I have to do is you give you my name, address and last 4 digits of my social security number and you can give me my lifes history.

The rep's reply was, yes its amazing what they can tell you, they can go back to 20 years. It was also this rep. that told me that it is a vendor that they use who provides this information for them.

My concern regarding identiy theft is that society believes that in order for someone to steal you identity they need your whole social. Well that can not be true when you use whatever vendor Boost is using, because they only need your name, address and last 4 digits of your social.

And this is what the public should be aware of. Because of this I will not ever give someone the last 4 digits of my social unless it is a company that I personally am doing business with.

Only the last four numbers?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You wrote: "I am so amazed at the fact that with the last 4 digits of my social secuiry number they were able to get this information."

I'm very confident that they DIDN'T get all that information with ONLY the last 4 numbers. I am also very confident that they had your complete SSN and merely asked you for the last 4 to "confirm" your identity to them.

You are correct about identity theft being a large problem.