Complaint Review: Boscovs

• Submitted: Tue, May 29, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, April 22, 2012

• Reported By:Private Pennsylvania
Boscovs
Rte. 11-15, Box B, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Boscovs Ripped us off they do it to alot of poor unsuspecting customers Selinsgrove Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: I agree with the previous response.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Arguably over the top

We purchaced a shwinn bow flex from their store in 04 it was thier moronic department manager that sold it to us telling us it could do all sorts of things . It took us a couple weeks to get it set up , and to try it out . Fast forward to a couple weeks later , we started to use it when we started to try to figure it out for the "leg" work out we found out throught the manufacture that we had to buy extra parts and that this model did NOT do the stuff we were told it did ..

I called the next day it was past 5 pm and to be honest did not want to deal with them that day as angry as I was at them . The next day I called . I told them that it did not do what we were told it did , we were told to return the unit , I admited that I did not know where the reciept was but we charged it they should be able to return it under that , the manager said that he "required the reciept" , we looked and we could not find it , he said that it did NOT matter if I found it 5 minutes from now or 5 years from now that he would return it .

Well I am here to call them out on it , we found the reciept on Sunday while cleaning to move , I called but they were closed for the day , so I called on Monday to speak with the manager we were polite , up to a point he was off , so they transferred me to the jack a** that sold it to me he said he did not remember it . I told him to contact the store manager , he said "he is off " So call him at home .

Well they call us back 5 hours later and right out called me a LIAR! So today I called to speak with the DM well of course he is not in , so back to making even more long distance phone calls , I called the office of the CEO what an arrogant a***e , he too called me a liar and when I said to him "what I am to call weekly ? Daily ? " His reply yes... To be honest I had given up hope that I would ever find the reciept but did find it I feel that if you are gonna promise something to a customer FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IT !!

He did hear the few choice words that at this point I unleashed at him, I will not buy from there again ,if some one is on thier registery I will buy the item else where , then keep the reciept so they have to return the junk to them if I happen to be in a mall where there store is located I hope they have a plumber on call cause I will clog the toilets as will my other half ...

I hate them they are arrogant a** holes that will promise one thing then lie and back out of thier promise...... save your money they are over priced for their junk that you can get else where for less and better customer service .....

Private
Private, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2007 02:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Boscovs/Selinsgrove-Pennsylvania-17870/Boscovs-Ripped-us-off-they-do-it-to-alot-of-poor-unsuspecting-customers-Selinsgrove-Pennsy-251015. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Boscovs

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I agree with the previous response.

AUTHOR: Nicole - (United States of America)

I see this day in and day out, and I really can't stand it.  Everyone has this sense of entitlement.

"It took us a couple weeks to get it set up , and to try it out . Fast forward to a couple weeks later , we started to use it when we started to try to figure it out for the "leg" work out we found out throught the manufacture that we had to buy extra parts..."

So it took you a "couple" weeks to set it up.  Then an additional "couple" of weeks to try it out and figure out you needed extra parts.  I'm assuming a "couple" weeks isn't two, I'm going to assume it's more like a month.  So two months let's say. Then you call and because you were so "angry" you decided to call back the next day.  Really?  You're so mad because someone made a mistake, that took you time to figure out because of YOUR issues, that you can't even speak to another human being about working something out?  Anger problems much?

Then you call.  You tell them you want to return it but don't have your receipt.  Here's my favorite part, you charged it, so he should be able to look it up.  I loathe customers who assume because you charged it, I can "look it up" or simply read your statement.  No. No no no.  My god, just no.  They probably gave you the "5 minutes or 5 years from now" to calm you down.

I'm not even going to go on and pick apart your post because customers like you make my blood boil.  You have the "I'm going to take my leisurely time doing EVERYTHING, but when I need something from you GOD HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T DO IT IMMEDIATELY WHEN I NEED IT."

Never mind that if you really want to hold a company to the "5 minutes or 5 years" figure, if you bought the thing in 2004 and are just NOW trying to return it? 8 years later?  Balls of steel.  Balls of flat out steel.  Try returning a sweater that's been sitting in your closet 8 years later.  Try returning a couch 8 years later.

Are you kidding me.  You make my brain hurt and give people from Pennsylvania a terrible name.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Arguably over the top

AUTHOR: Middleman - (U.S.A.)

I am a very recent former employee, and although I have no specific loyalties to the company, I do feel this type of customer response is atypical and needs to be addressed.

First, Boscov's does not retain credit card information. The manager was correct that you are required to have your receipt to make a return. If you were interested in an exchange, or any other transaction that would not have ended with you getting money back, then I'm quite sure he would have taken care you of as best he could. But, because you insisted in returning it, you are required to show a reciept to ensure exactly how much you paid for it and on what credit card. Any company that took just any card and refunded any amount based on a customers word would be out of business fast.

Second, I have, from your story, the distinct impression that you "flew off the handle" rather quickly, all the while, waiting until it was convenient to you (weeks?) to make the actual return to begin with, and then dragged it out for several weeks longer looking for your receipt.

Whether or not the department manager promised you unlimited return timeframe (which I doubt, will explain in a moment), the store manager is trained to resolve conflicts and so long as you took the time to sit with him or her and explain your position in a non-hostile way, they would have generally taken any steps necessary to resolve the issue and make you a happy customer.

Now.. the reason I doubt the manager told you to return it whenever, is simply because each "major" department has it's own mandatory return timeframes (furniture is 10 days I believe, appliances 30 days, digital electronics 14 days, etc..).

I don't recall the timeframe with exercise equipment, but I remember that it was very sensetive and short. The first attempt you made at returning the stuff was probably already past the timeframe and the manager was already most likely breaking the rules to accomidate the rules. Had you come in weeks later with the receipt, I can fully understand why they would have refused at that point.

It's clear you chose to throw a tantrum instead of being civil at some points. That doesn't bode well when returning items.