Complaint Review: Brahle-Firenze

• Submitted: Thu, April 01, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, December 28, 2007

• Reported By:Rochester New York
Brahle-Firenze
15 W. 47th Street New York, New York U.S.A.

Brahle-Firenze overstated diamond weight. Rip-off scam organization! New York New York

*Author of original report: Now called Firenze Jewelers?

*Author of original report: update

*Author of original report: Either ignorant or a scammer

*Author of original report: Either ignorant or a scammer

*Consumer Comment: Kind Of Like Zales

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Accuser is the bad apple!

*Author of original report: Expected Response. The "jealous competitor" accusation is a common one.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: BOGUS ACCUSATION FROM JEALOUS COMPETITOR

I was scammed by this jeweler while visiting NYC a while ago, but I just discovered this great site and I want to warn others. Here is the chronology of events.

I purchased a diamond tennis bracelet at Brahle-Firenze that was labeled as 6 carats. I asked for the appraisal for insurance purposes. They said no problem. When I paid for item, they said the appraisal was temporarily misplaced, but they would mail it to me ASAP (I'm from out of town). I said OK, since it looked like a legitimate store and I could trust them.

Two weeks later and still no appraisal. I called repeatedly. Their excuses for not sending it were:
"that agent is out sick today"
"we never told you that you would get an appraisal"
"what's the big deal? You don't need an appraisal"

I then became suspicious and had to pay $70 myself to get it appraised. Not 6 carats. It turns out it was only 4.5 carats. I called the store and told them. They said the appraiser was wrong. I had it appraised (another $70) by another certified gemologist. This time it was "4 carats, 4.5 carats max".

Of course the store knew this all along. The agent laughed at me when I called, and said tough luck! Live and learn. That's when I also discovered how useless the BBB is. The BBB is another scam, but don't get me started on that one!

I will be happy if I could prevent just one consumer from getting scammed from this jeweler, Brahle-Firenze. They are in the "Diamond District" in NYC. Stay Away!

Lou
Rochester, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2004 02:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brahle-Firenze/New-York-New-York/Brahle-Firenze-overstated-diamond-weight-Rip-off-scam-organization-New-York-New-York-86257. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brahle-Firenze

Now called Firenze Jewelers?

AUTHOR: Lou - (U.S.A.)

I did a google search and I see complaints all over the internet about them!! Thank you, Ripoff Report, for spreading the word!!

However, I see that somehow they are still in business, with the same nasty, rude owners, the Levins.

But according to reports, business is dropping like a rock in the diamond district, including at this dump!

update

AUTHOR: Lou - (U.S.A.)

The real company name is brahle firenze, with no dash. Just want to make sure it shows up in a search.

Either ignorant or a scammer

AUTHOR: Oula - (U.S.A.)

Cory, I wish the diamonds were only .07 carats less than they claimed. That would be fine. They were at least 1.5 carats less. That's huge. Next time they will think twice before they treat someone like this.

Adriana, if you really are the owner, than you are either lying or you are ignorant of what your people are doing. I don't expect you to be aware of every transaction in your store, but every word of this story is correct. I didn't ask for a refund. I respectfully asked for some compensation for the difference in the stated weight from the actual weight. Your people laughed at me and told me to get lost. They simply said both of my appraisals, from certified gemologists, were wrong. Yet Brahle refused to officially appraise it as promised. Hmmmm. Anyway, I expect nothing from your lousy store now. I just wanted to get the word out. The point has been made. We don't have to play this game anymore.

By the way, about your "pristine record"? You have at least 4 complaints with BBB (not that the BBB means anything) and one with the NY Attorney General at last count.

Either ignorant or a scammer

AUTHOR: Oula - (U.S.A.)

Kind Of Like Zales

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Was looking at the Zales ads this weekend. In their ad, it says diamond weight MAY VARY BY UP TO .07 ct. At a WHOLESALE level, the difference of .01 ct on a .99ct IF/D and a 1.00ct is $7,400. When I worked there, they called their .93ct diamonds a 1 ct. In some cases, even on a low grade stone a .93 is worth about a $1000 to $1500 less than a 1.00ct. Just make sure of what you are buying and GET what you pay for. If it ain't a carat, it ain't a carat.

#6 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Accuser is the bad apple!

AUTHOR: Adriana - (U.S.A.)

Angela Klisos is not a fictitious name, nor did she quit a long time ago, nor is she a bad apple. Anyone who knows this long established, well known and good standing company, knows we would never respond or treat anyone in the manner you claim you were treated.

Lie about the carat weight? Refuse an appraisal? How absurd! Nothing you claim makes any sense which leads me to believe you are not a real customer but a bogus, vicious fake.

Tens of thousands of customers cannot be wrong and our pristine record speaks for itself.

Regardless of what your mind dreams up next I will no longer validate your game playing by responding to your viciousness.

SHAME ON YOU!

Expected Response. The "jealous competitor" accusation is a common one.

AUTHOR: Lou - (U.S.A.)

Your response was totally expected. The "jealous competitor" accusation is a common one. You must think consumers are idiots. Well, we already know you think that.

You DID hear directly from me. The card from the agent who sold me the fraudulent goods reads:

Angela Klizos

Diamond Consultant

Manager

But that doesn't necessarily mean that she personally mislabeled the item. It could have been you or someone else.

Now the next response will be:

"That is a fictitious name"

"She quit a long time ago"

"She's never had a complaint, and the story is made up"

"She was one bad apple and was fired a long time ago"

Anyway, the bottom line is that there are plenty of other stores in that area, so no need to take a chance with this one. I hope I saved just ONE person from getting ripped off. Thank you.

#8 REBUTTAL Owner of company

BOGUS ACCUSATION FROM JEALOUS COMPETITOR

AUTHOR: Adriana - (U.S.A.)

This is a bogus accusation from a non-existent customer. If this was real, I'm certain we would have heard directly from this person at some point. This claim is completely unsubstantiated by any documentation. This was obviously submitted by a jealous competitor. We are proud of our impeccable reputation that has been earned through the past three generations. Shame on you!