Complaint Review: Brake Check

• Submitted: Sat, April 25, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, May 07, 2009

• Reported By:San Antonio Texas
Brake Check
13495 IH-10 San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

Brake Check They damaged my perfectly good brake pads San Antonio Texas

*Author of original report: Brake Check finally saw the light after I filed a complaint with BBB

*Author of original report: Several "real" mechanics agreed with me

*Consumer Comment: Too easy

*Author of original report: Why I had my brakes checked in the first place

*Consumer Comment: Report title is confusing...

*Consumer Comment: Exactly as I expected

*Author of original report: The damage done.

*Consumer Comment: What damage?

On 04/23/09 I went to a brake dealership and had my brakes checked. The tech took me outside after they had taken my tires off to show me what they wanted to replace. They wanted to do a lot of work so I told them I needed to talk to my husband first.

I then went to Brake Check for a second opionion. The tech took me outside and showed me the damage to my back brake pads. He said he didn't want to imply that the other company had done it but that the damage was recent. I told him I would have to come back later because I had an appointment. He then had me sign a waiver stating that my vehicle was unsafe to drive in its present condition.

On the way home I realized that the first company hadn't taken my brake pads off. They had just taken the tires off.

I called the corporate office the next morning and Jerry Coward, the Operations Manager, met me at Brake Check.

They took my pads off and he looked at them then said that I couldn't be sure that the other company didn't do the damage. I told him that I was positive they hadn't done it.

I asked him how could he be sure his tech's didn't do it. He said he couldn't. They didn't offer me anything. Not a discount and definitely not an apology.

J j
San Antonio, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/25/2009 04:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brake-Check/San-Antonio-Texas-78249/Brake-Check-They-damaged-my-perfectly-good-brake-pads-San-Antonio-Texas-446412. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brake Check

Brake Check finally saw the light after I filed a complaint with BBB

AUTHOR: J j - (U.S.A.)

I filed a complaint with BBB. A week later I received a phone call from Jerry Coward saying that Brake Check would change my brake pads for free. Since I had already changed the brake pads they agreed to refund the cost of my new pads.

I hope more people will contact BBB because they get results.

Several "real" mechanics agreed with me

AUTHOR: J j - (U.S.A.)

I took my brake pads to several different "certified" mechanics and they all agreed. The damage done to my pads was excessive. The damage didn't match up on the two pads.

Too easy

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

"If my brake pads were really okay then why did Brake Check want to charge me $350 to do a brake job and have me sign a waiver?"

To make $350 at over 75% Gross Profit Margin. The waiver is to scare you, and absolve them of any responsibility.

"If my brake pads were okay why didn't the man from corporate just say that instead of denying the damage?"

Read my above response.

Why I had my brakes checked in the first place

AUTHOR: J j - (U.S.A.)

My back brakes where making a squealling noise. I didn't know until after all this happened that there are two recalls on my Jeep. One for ball bearings and another for a clip on the back brakes. That's the reason my brakes were making the noise, not my brake pads.

Report title is confusing...

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

If your were brakes were perfectly fine, why were you having them checked??

Exactly as I expected

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The "damage" is from one of the shops using a screwdriver or prybar to spread the pads to inspect. There is no cause for alarm. The impressions will do nothing to the rotors, nor will they degrade the life of the pads.

The damage done.

AUTHOR: J j - (U.S.A.)

I will take pictures of the pads tonight and email them. The actual damage to one of the pads is about 1 3/4 long, about 1/8 deep and 1/4 of an inch wide. You can see were they used a screwdriver. Then on the bottom there's another area thats about just as wide and deep but only about 1/2 inch long.

What damage?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

If either of the shops used a prybar/screwdriver to spread the pads to look at them(pretty common), the pads will have some impressions in them. It does not harm them.

What damage was present?