Complaint Review: Brake Check

• Submitted: Mon, November 03, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, November 03, 2008

• Reported By:spring Texas
Brake Check
www.justbrakes.com Spring, Texas U.S.A.

Brake Check Just Brakes - a dangerous rip-off Spring Texas

I decided to get new tires & a brake job on my 6 year old vehicle for my son to drive off to college. The vehicle was in great condition. Normally I would change my own brakes on the GM, however my back was acting up so I decided to try out the Just Brakes $99 special. Big mistake. The estimate turned into $450 for a major overhaul. After talking them into the "Just Brakes special and an $89 line bleed, I escaped with a $200 bill. The manager seemed very unhappy about this but the story doesn't end here.

Two days later I was back in the shop. Seems the calipers were not releasing and putting a severe drag in the engine and strain on my transmission clutch plates. Ok, so I'm out of pocket for another $200 for a rebuilt caliper. Coincidence?

Three weeks later, my son calls me from college telling me he has some major problems with the car and it can't be driven. I make a 4 hour road trip a couple weekends later only to discover that the two mounting bolts that secure the caliper housing are completely missing. The entire brake assembly was being violently thrown against the wheel housing and mounting frame every time the brakes were applied.

Upon further investigation, we found two more bolts loose on two other wheels. One was a caliper pin and the other another caliper mounting bolt. We wasted the entire Sunday driving from one auto parts retailer to another trying to locate replacement bolts. Unfortunately I ended up having to order the bolts from the dealer and ship them to my son.

Thank God my son did not have a life threatening accident because of the shotty work from the guys at Just Brakes. I chose to call it shotty work because I don't want to believe that they would deliberately sabotage my son's vehicle and endanger his life, but you never know. It is very suspicious that 3 wheels had untorqued bolts and a caliper failure on the 4th.

Common sense would tell you that they Just Brakes obviously make no money on a $99 brake job and must recoup operating cost elsewhere.

Beware - these guys are dangerous.

Tedd0
spring, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/03/2008 04:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brake-Check/Spring-Texas-77379/Brake-Check-Just-Brakes-a-dangerous-rip-off-Spring-Texas-387593. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brake Check