Complaint Review: Brake Masters

• Submitted: Mon, March 17, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, February 26, 2011

• Reported By:Surprise Arizona
Brake Masters
13758 W Bell Rd Surprise, Arizona U.S.A.

Brake Masters Lied and said my car needed rotors, they did not. Ripping off by selling parts not needed. Surprise Arizona

*Consumer Comment: brake masters is great

*Consumer Suggestion: Brake flushes

*Consumer Comment: Brake Flushes are not Gimmicks

*UPDATE Employee: Chaz, Store Manager

I went to Brake Masters on 3/15/08 for a brake job & oil change. I was told that my front brake pads were 98% worn and that my rotors needed to be replaced because they were worn and could not be turned. I inspected the rotors with the shop foreman. They were not grooved and appeared to be thick enough. I voiced my opinion to (Chaz the foreman). He used his micrometer to show me the measurement of the thickness of my rotor. He was measuring the rotor by the hub. I said the pads don't even touch there and asked if he would measure the actual surface of the rotor where the pads would be touching. He immediately removed his measuring devise and said the rotor was to thin to turn. I told him to please document this on my ticket because I was going to take this farther. He said he would and said that rotors wear out without being being grooved. I walked away.

When I received my ticket it stated that it was reccommended that I replace the rotors. When I asked why it didn't state that they were too thin to turn I was told that it was the same thing. A bunch of liars.... I was in the car repair business for over 10 years and new exactly what was going on. It was amazing that these people were ripping off seniors the entire time I was there and almost everyone was buying the rotors (not needed) and brake fluid system flushes (gimick)..

BeWare of this place...

Gary
Surprise, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/17/2008 07:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brake-Masters/Surprise-Arizona-85374/Brake-Masters-Lied-and-said-my-car-needed-rotors-they-did-not-Ripping-off-by-selling-pa-318546. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brake Masters

brake masters is great

AUTHOR: dana - (United States of America)

I read the report about Brake Masters in Surprise, AZ about ripping people off and Chaz, the manager trying to overcharge his customers.
About 2 years ago, I was going through a divorce and needed some automotive work on the vehicle I drive for my job. It didn't pass emissions and I usually would have my now ex-husband do the work, since he knew a lot about cars. But that wasn't an option anymore. I was really scared to go somewhere and have work done because I don't know anything about my Jeep and I didn't know what was wrong with it. I thought I was going to get ripped off until I found a private mechanic that I could trust.
I drove pass Brake Masters and I saw the sign that said "we do ALL car repairs", so I pulled in and my whole life changed.I know that is a little dramatic, but my vehicle is very abused at work and I have a lot of issues with it. I drive about 65 miles a day on a dirt road, so finding a good mechanic was really weighing on my mind. After working with Chaz, Adrian, and Al at Brake Masters, I realized not only is Brake Masters the place I could trust, they use the best parts. They explained to me what was wrong with my Jeep, in detail. They didn't talk down to me or make me feel like a helpless girlie girl. They're all very nice and professional.
Initially, I thought they charged more than a private mechanic, but they warranty all their work and parts. I ended up saving money by having the warrantied parts changed. Chaz was the one that brought this to my attention, so he wasn't ripping me off, in fact it was quite the opposite.
I got to tell you this was a huge weight off of my shoulders because I really felt helpless as a single women out there needing auto repair. I thought I would have at least 2-3 bad experiences before I found someone to do my automotive work. I am so happy with the work I have done that I would have taken my vehicle there even when I was married. I have been having everything done there ever since.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Brake flushes

AUTHOR: Ase Certified Master Tech - (U.S.A.)

Brake flushes are not gimmicks. It's a hydraulic fluid just like your engine oil, transmission fluid etc. It is subjected to very high temperatures (500 degrees or more at times) and it tends to "attract" and absorb water. This moisture in the system can cause calipers, wheel cylinders, or very expensive ABS components to fail, which are all very costly repairs. Most manufacturers don't list this service in the owners manual but it's important to do it atleast every 50k miles. I always recommend this service whenever I recommend any brake job. By flushing out the brake fluid I am ensuring many trouble free years of service for my customers.

Brake Flushes are not Gimmicks

AUTHOR: Chuck - (U.S.A.)

I read in the report that Chaz sells 'brake flushes' as a gimmick. I am not employed by Brake Masters. I do not live in AZ. I do not have a Brake Masters near me.
I do, however have thirty years (not 10) in the business and am ASE Certified.
Brake fluid needs to be changed (flushed) at Manufactures rec. intervals. With ABS systems now, sensitive materials can corrode and brake failure may happen. Brake fluid attracts the condensation from the steel brake lines. This fluid then becomes acrid and looses its 'boiling point'.
No, you do not need to do it every 10k miles on most cars. Yet, this procedure must be done to protect your brake system. As per manufactures rec.

Chaz, Store Manager

AUTHOR: Chaz - (U.S.A.)

Hi,my name is Chaz, I have been the Manager of this Brake Masters for six years opening the store since new.

After reading Gary's report, I felt the need to contact Gary. I asked Gary to take his car to the dealer and that if the dealer said the rotors could be machined ,I would do his brake job for free. Yes there are alot of dishonest shops out there but Brake Masters Of Surprise is not one of them 1000-1300 cars a month does not lie. people come to my store because they know how honest we are.Oh by the way, todate Gary is unwilling to take me up on my offer for a free Brake job.

Felix