Complaint Review: Brakemasters - Brake Masters

• Submitted: Sun, October 17, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, February 23, 2008

• Reported By:ventura California
Brakemasters - Brake Masters
Thompson Blvd. Ventura, Ca. Ventura, California U.S.A.

Brakemasters ripoff - sold me a new battery, $180.05 - 4 hours wait, Next day I broke down, it was my alternator as I thought, first thing I asked them to check. Ventura California

*Consumer Comment: I have never bought a battery from brakemasters, but...

*Consumer Comment: I believe she may be partially at fault

*Author of original report: Response to Steve, Owner of Brakemasters:Ventura

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: This complaint does not tell the whole story . . .

I went to Brakemasters @7:35 am, to be first one,
and requested, as stated on my customer appraisal
form, for the alternator to be checked.(all the
signs pointed to the alternator, not battery.)
After four hours waiting, they said it was that I needed a new battery, as the one I had,(which, happened to be a loaner,even though they took it) was putting out TOO much power! I had never heard of that,but,I needed to have a running truck for my job, and told them to please do what needed to be done, so I could do my work, without the fear of breaking down! The very next day, after about driving for two hours, I, once again, break down at a stop sign, and when I finally got a jump start from my son, I returned to the shop, only to be told"sorry, we do not do any electrical work here, and it must be an electrical short."

I then went to an auto parts store close by, who
does alternator/battery checks for free,and find out it was my alternator, as I first suspected.
I then had the alternator replaced,($275.00) and followed up with a complete dianostic check($125.00 more), and afterwards, contacted Brakemasters.com and received a reply from Laura Ramirrez, who stated that the manager of the shop would be in touch with me soon.I then received a call from him, who was the original person I had dealt with, and he proceeded to shout at me, telling me I was in a hurry that day(yeah,FOUR hours later maybe) and when I told him that a certain store did the free check on the bad alternator, he simply called me a name dropper!

He tried to blame everything on me, saying I was in a hurry, and it was my battery clamp that they
did not have enough time to replace, etc. I told him, the problem has since been resolved, WITHOUT
relacing the clamp, only the alternator! He had nothing more to say, and I now owe my son a battery since they took the loaner! They sold me a cheap battery charging $79.99 on the receipt, and have done nothing as far as correcting this total rip off! I hope this report can help!

Thank you for your help, and site!

Dee
ventura, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2004 05:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brakemasters-Brake-Masters/Ventura-California-93003/Brakemasters-ripoff-sold-me-a-new-battery-18005-4-hours-wait-Next-day-I-broke-down-113373. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brakemasters - Brake Masters

I have never bought a battery from brakemasters, but...

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

Personally, we've only had good experiences with Brakemasters. They're smart and their work has been excellent for my wife and me. I hope they are willing to resolve all problems, misunderstandings, etc. My CRV will need new brakes soon, and I'm considering Brakemasters for a few reasons, including the history I've had with them. I hope they don't leave me as frustrated as Dee! I will check Sears first, then Brakemasters...both have been good to me over the years. Thanks for the heads up; I hope it was just a one-time thing, and Dee I hope you reach a resolution so they restore your faith in them.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

If the battery terminal wasn't making a proper connection, whether due to dirt or breakage, then any of the symptoms you describe may have been present at any given time. Also, those alternator testers used at Auto Supply stores can be notoriously unreliable, and they want to sell parts.

I see a lot of shops that will AUTOMATICALLY change both the alternator and battery, so in a way you got off easy, especially as they were rushing it for you. BTW, that is one expensive alternator! Was it for a diesel?

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

I believe she may be partially at fault

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

After reading Dee's experience with Brakemasters I believe she may be partially at fault first she states the car broke down four hours later. I wonder what the alternator light on the dash board was indicating?. If as she states the alternator was to blame there most certainly would have been a light on. Secondly when you put a fresh battery on an alternator that may be marginal it is considered a good thing. If she had had the alt replaced with a bad battery it would have self destructed quickly.
My guess is the parts house she went too probably cleaned a corroded terminal which was still good.and replaced the bad alternator. Her feelings of excessive charges were probably diagnostic time and labor which are not generally included in the price of any item sold by an automotive repair shop. I believe she didn't understand the nature of auto repair period.Labor is where the profit is made.

Response to Steve, Owner of Brakemasters:Ventura

AUTHOR: Dee - (U.S.A.)

This explanation you wrote is All untrue. You say you tested my alternator...WRONG..because had you tested it, you would of found out it was the problem.I broke down the next day, same way as before, after it ran down the battery! You say you replaced my battery for a new one @ $79.99, then how come I paid $180.05? My battery cable IS STILL UNREPLACED,(same as it was that day) as all I had replaced was my alternator, and I have not had a problem since.(by people who KNEW what they were doing, I might add). As far as talking to your Manager when HE HAD CALLED ME, HE IS THE ONE WHO DID THE YELLING! and never offered anything, except his opinion, while telling me I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! By the way, I see your banner saying, 'NEW MANAGER' outside the shop, so that explains more than you are saying. I am sorry, but you are not honest like you state, at least not on that day, your company wasn't, or they do not know what they are doing.And you state 'out in one hour'...HA!!

I was the first person there @ 7:45 a.m. before the workers arrived! I watched customers come and go for 4 hours, and not so much as even an apology! Thanks, ......for ripping me off......

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

This complaint does not tell the whole story . . .

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

As the owner of the above-referenced Brake Masters of Ventura, I would like to respond to the allegations of improper business practices.

When my mechanics tested the alternator, our equipment showed that it was operating properly. The battery, however, needed to be replaced, as well as the terminal ends of the cables. We spent a couple of hours trying to locate the correct terminal cable ends, but we were unsuccessful. The customer then purchased a battery for $79.99 and left our shop.

It is our opinion that she was subsequently sold an alternator that she probably did NOT need; however, the shop that sold her the alternator replaced the batter cable terminal ends at the time they sold her the alternator.

When the customer called our shop, she yelled at our manager and never gave him a chance to respond to her complaints or even to offer to refund the cost of the battery.

We are not in the habit of recommending parts or services unless we are sure that they are necessary.