Complaint Review: Brenda's Oorangs Airedale Terriers

Brenda's Oorangs Airedale Terriers
277 Riverside Cutoff Road Riverside, Washington USA

Brenda's Oorangs Airedale Terriers Airedale Terriers Riverside Washington

*Author of original report: Canton's rep - rude, rude, rude - Nick

*Author of original report: Hogwash ...

*Consumer Comment: A good experience with Brenda's Oorangs

*Consumer Comment: Not One But Two

Report from several sources:

I purchased an Airedale Terrier from Brenda (Smith, Wilson) now O'Neil. The pup arrived dirty and ill. Blood tests showed the pup was anemic. During the following two years, and several thousand dollars in medical bills, the pup died of cancer. Brenda Smith'sanswer to my loss was that she would sell me another pup at a discount. She also stated that I was telling her the pup had been ill so that I could get a free pup.Brenda's standard retort to any complaints is "Get a life."

I have been contacted by a person who received a pup with hip dysplasia, and a deformed leg from the same litter. Hip dysplasia is a genetic disorder, that could be present in any pup purchased from Brenda Smith.

Another contact received a pup whose jaw was so deformed that the canine teeth had to be ground away so the pup would not chew his jaw.

I also had a large Airedale from Brenda's. His name was Max. He wasn't as sad a story as some of the others you told about, but he did have some issues. He was Penn Hip Tested as a puppy and was found to have about 57% laxity on one hip and about 52% on the other. Both most likely to cause dysplasia problems later in life. He had a little bit of sagging around the eyes which the name for it escapes me now. Not really serious unless you intended to show him. He had constant reoccurring lameness in his front leg which I never could get a definite diagnosis on, and he had serious allergies resulting in hot spots which we were able to get somewhat of a control on after a lot of money spent and a lifetime of a special diet and allergy shots. This is all in the past now but I did try to contact Brenda with some of this info thinking it would help her in her efforts to breed healthier dogs only find that she really didn't care. Max was an awesome companion and other than wave the magic wand and make him 100% healthy I wouldn't have changed a thing, but I do think it's awful for her to be making a living by being irresponsible and disrespectful to both animals, and their perspective owners.

Dear Airedale people,

I purchased a seven month old female puppy from Ms.Brenda on July thirteenth, 2012. The puppy was the only female, and Brenda pointed out that she had an umbilical hernia. She seemed so sad that I took her immediately. After a few days she became a happy puppy. Then just over two months later, she became lethargic.  After six weeks , twice in the Puget Sound Veterinary Referral Center with two ultrasounds, weekly blood tests at my vets, it was determined that she had deformed kidneys. Four the last four months, I administered 500ml subcutaneously and various medicines on the prescription renal diet. She was always cooperative and sweet. At times she did enjoy being naughty. She started a precipitous decline on February 5th and was put to sleep two days later. Eight months and 13 days old. She was a lesson to everyone who knew her. Brenda O'Neil  has not returned my phone calls . What to do about Ms. Brenda O'Neil?

I too obtained an Oorang Airedale almost 7 years ago.. This dog is a wonderful companion.. His name is Teddy and love him to death.. Unfortunately, he has always had some medical issue since the beginning.. He at an early age was taken to the emergency vet on 3 different occasions. He acted like he was in shock, his heart rate was slight.. He had to be hooked up to all sorts of IVS and go thru numerous blood tests.. He always bounced back... Than just this past year he had this large swollen area under his neck that would not go away.. Finally after almost a year of going to a vet and having needle biopsies, I took him to a surgeon and it was removed.. It was the size of the surgeon's fist and was sent to a pathology lab.The results was a reactive lymph node.. During the same surgery, the surgeon noticed blood coming from his lower left gum. He then took X-rays of the jaw area and did a punch biopsy of the bleeding area.. The punch biopsy of the jaw area came back as a cutaneous epulis. In English, as disease of the jaw bone, where the disease acts like a cancer ( but is not a cancer) and eats away the teeth and jaw.. SOOO, I had to go to a veterinary dentist, who ended up removing his lower jaw back past his lower canines.. The consensus from both surgeries, was that the jaw disease had caused the reactive lymph node that had grown under his neck.

Now, this all happened in April and May of 2013... In Nov. of 2013 he ended back in the ER, as he could hardly move, had a 106 temp. and once at the ER had a slow heart rate... His white blood count was up and they did X-rays and an ultrasound.. Only thing unusual on the ultra sound was a small looking polyp on his spleen and some calcification on his spine. Again, he was hooked up to IVS and spent the night at the ER.. Went home the next day.. The only thing doctor could assume, was that one week prior to this incident, he had had 3 different vaccinations.. Could have affected his immune system..It has been a month now since this last incident, and now I can feel a lump or swollen lymph node the right side of his chest and now another under the armpit of his right front leg... Have you or anyone else who had purchased Oorangs from Brenda Smith, experienced any of these health issues with their Airedales??

This dog is wonderful, but the place he came from was a dump and the conditions there were awful!!! Someone should be looking in on the conditions there, and I believe many of those dogs are very ill..not well taken care of and inbred!!! I have spent thousands of dollars on medical care in 7 years on my dog. Just with the 2 last surgeries, I spent over $10.000 !!  I want to know if any of his symptoms or illnesses happened to anyone who purchases a dog from Brenda..

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/13/2014 10:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brendas-Oorangs-Airedale-Terriers/Riverside-Washington-98849/Brendas-Oorangs-Airedale-Terriers-Airedale-Terriers-Riverside-Washington-1154606. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brenda's Oorangs Airedale Terriers

Canton's rep - rude, rude, rude - Nick

AUTHOR: Dr. B. - ()

Nick cannot admit that Canton is at fault, blaming the purchaser for false advertising and a shoddy product. According to Nick, any reliance on the product advertising means the buyer is not too bright. Gosh, I wish I were as smart as this guy. No mention of trap doors - no mention that it did not have trap doors. Shoddy products and a rude representative.

Hogwash ...

AUTHOR: Dr. B. - ()

Blaming the byer for the inbred, genetic faults is disingenious. There are responsible breeders who OFA screen breeding pairs for genetic diseases. Brenda attempt to sell pups with problems, at a discount, if there is a known problem, as she did recently with a pup with a hernia. She has her dented and scratched department for pups. Considering yourself lucky that your Airedale, from Brenda, is healthy. Northwest Airedale Rescue, has dozens of accounts of problems with Brenda's animals.

A good experience with Brenda's Oorangs

AUTHOR: Dave - ()

We are very sympathetic with buyers who have had serious medical problems with their dogs, and the indication that Brenda was not responsive to their complaints is troubling.  However, our experience with the Airedale we got from Brenda is in stark contrast to the stories submitted to Ripoff.  The male Airedale we got from her has been healthy and is a beautiful example of the breed.  He also has a wonderful disposition. We  encountered the Ripoff report when we were trying to get Brenda's contact information to recommend her dogs to someone who saw our dog and wanted an Airedale.  We want to suggest that at least some of the blame for health problems in purebred dogs falls on the consumer -- as consumers, we want particular traits that we associate with a breed, and the restricted breeding that results is responsible for the accumulation of deleterious traits that contientious breeders must constantly be on the lookout for.  Although we were lucky with our dog (so far) we would argue that accepting the risks as well as putting pressure on breeders be part of the bargain when buying purebred dogs, and perhaps rescuing purebred dogs that need owners or buying crosses or mutts would be good directions for new dog owners to take.

Not One But Two

AUTHOR: DaleMama - ()

I have to say i am in a bit of shock reading this "rip-off report" about Brenda's ooranges. I was serching tonight to locate her email, since I have misplaced it so i could send her an update image of a puppy i had obtained from her this past Dec. 2013.
Daisy Mae now 10 months old growing beautifully and very healthy I might add. She has an amazing personality and is a complete joy.

But this isn't a surprise to me being this insn't our first airedale from her. Our first was  gotten from her July 3rd 2005. Henry Jones. Or as they liked to call him Hank. Henry was a BIG boy and we lost him just past his second bithday to a very sad house accedent and nothing to do with or about Brenda. Henry had chewed a toy as puppies do and it became sharp and cut his organs from inside. We tried to have an emergincy surgery to save him but all we could do was to make him comfortable. It was a huge loss to our Family. And for many years to follow we just couldn't bring ourselves to "replace" him. No one could.
After this happened we called Brenda and she along with us morned the loss of him. He was a good boy. She said when we were ready to come on back and see her.

October 2013 we were finally ready. We contacted her and to our surprise there was about to be a litter born and there was a pick left. When I brought up our history with her she quickly remembered after 7 years and how many customers she remembered us. I think thats pretty neat. She looked up the pedagree and it was a meant to be thing. From who I remebered Henry's Mom to be it was Katies Mom :) Our Daisy Mae was his Neice from a distant litter. Perfect.

I am sure sorry if others have recieved dogs that became ill or had health issues. I can not speak for that. But I can report that the two puppies we have gotten from her were and current are in great health.