Complaint Review: British Airways

British Airways Terrible customer service, no sympathy at all Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't Use 3rd Party Ticketing Agencies

*Consumer Comment: Cojmment on former rebuttal

*Consumer Suggestion: International Flight Check in

I was running late to catch my flight to London from Dulles, since I relied on public transport to get to the airport, in my effort to "go green". Yea, next time I'll pollute the earth more with an oil burning Taxi Cab.

Got to the check in counter about one hour before the flight but it was swamped with Indian people all headed to Mumbai or something. Seriously, these people had big screen TV's boxed up and were packed like they were leaving the US permanently.

I eventually got to the front and they would not honor my ticket. Would not accomodate me on later flights even though there were ample empty seats. Quoted me $1800 for a ticket. Spend hours on customer service hotlines with both British Airways and Orbitz, which is where I bought the ticket.

They both blamed each other and told me to call one another. Passed back and forth 20 times.

I filed a dispute on my American Express and they were unable to get the money back due to BA being headquartered in England.

I will never (attempt) to fly British Airways again. They made no effort to help me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/31/2009 10:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/British-Airways/internet/British-Airways-Terrible-customer-service-no-sympathy-at-all-Internet-548023. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on British Airways

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Don't Use 3rd Party Ticketing Agencies

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

I quit using 3rd party agencies years ago. Nothing really wrong with them when all goes well but in cases like yours or when problems keep you from making your flight there becomes a jurisdictional battle between you, the 3rd party ticketing agency and the airline. Theoretically there shouldn't be a problem but there often is. The airline is irritated because you might have gotten a cheaper ticket than they would have sold you and they are not interested in helping you out of a crisis.

I've always had good luck with BA and back in the '90's when I flew them a lot the service level was better (in my opinion) than the American airlines. I never had a problem at Dulles but I always got to the check in counter at least 3 hours early.

Cojmment on former rebuttal

AUTHOR: complainer - (USA)

Karl - Clovis (U.S.A.) wrote: "buy a ticket directly from British Airways website"

Not a good idea, in my opinion,  since you will be charged an intenational transaction fee on your purchase. In my case it cost me an extra $24-$25 more.  See:

#3 Consumer Suggestion

International Flight Check in

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

First off -always buy a ticket directly from the airline's web site. Numerous problems occur (as documented on ROR) with third party booking agencies especially when you have to cancel or change a flight.

I've taken BA from Dulles numerous times. You need to get to the airport at least 2 to 3 hours before flight time just to avoid check in delays. This is an international flight and security checks need to be factored in. Public transport is not the problem. You just got to the airport too late. With an hour before the flight even if the line was short it was dubious whether you could make the flight. Transatlantic flights leave in peak times and LOTS of them leave from Dulles in the evening. Better planning would have avoided this problem. It is not the fault of BA. The Indians at the front of the line made the flight.