Complaint Review: Britton Farms Dobermans

• Reported By: OC CC — Orange County California United States of America
Britton Farms Dobermans

Britton Farms Dobermans Poorly Bred Doberman Internet

*Consumer Comment: You Aren't Alone

Please do not be fooled by this breeder.  I bought a doberman from him over 3 years ago.  My dog (Bruno) is now 3 1/2 years old.  When I was looking for a doberman, I did a lot of research and tried looking for available dobermans in California, but all breeders were booked for 2+ years.  I found this breeder (Britton Farms Dobermans) online.  I looked at the website, and they seemed to be legit.  Well, even though my doberman looks like a champion (he is 90 lbs with a beautiful black coat), he was a health mess from day 1.

At 6 months old, he could not eat kibble.  I tried all the best brands (Orijen, Before Grain, Evo, etc).  Eventually I had to give up on kibble and feed him boiled chicken breast, rice, and fish oil.  Do you know how difficult/expensive it is to buy/clean/cook chicken breast everyday, twice a day, 7 days a week?  But I figured, oh well, a lot of dog owners do that and dobermans are known to have weak stomachs...

At 2 years old he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (failing heart).  This is usually a disease that attacks older dogs, it is very unusual onset would occur in dogs before the age of 5.  He is on enalapril and vetmedin for his heart condition.  He now can't go out to the park and play frisbee (one of our favorite activities together) because he literally collapses after 10 minutes of play.  It's really heart breaking.

Fast forward to this past week.  My dog started having urinary problems (incontinence, blood in pee, etc).  After looking it up, I figured he had a urinary tract infection.  After administering antibiotics for about a week, he did not get better and I took him back to the vet.  The vet thought it was a bladder stone, so he had an x ray done.  It turns out he does not ave stones, but he has an enlarged prostate.  However, in the process of the xray, he should me my dog has really bad arthritis in his hips and back.  I asked him how can that be, he is so young, and I have given him fish oil since day 1, and I exercise him almost daily so he is very lean and in shape.  My vet said in his case it is just bad genetics....

Ok, so that still leaves the problem of his prostate being too large.  My vet said neutering him would fix the problem since his prostate got bigger due to hormonal issues.  Well, I can't get him neutered because his heart condition is so bad he cannot go under anesthetics for surgery.  Un-fucking-believable.

The reason I am writing this report is because his breeder is a con man of a high caliber.  Even an idiot could identify a back yard breeder- usually puppy mills are dirty, with dogs in cages and in poor condition, and they usually sell for very cheap.  However, this breeder is smart.  He has a clean home (or at least shows in the pictures).  He doesn't own the dogs, he merely pays known champion dogs from all over the world to come and breeder at his facility.  This does 2 things: it makes him seem legitimate since he is using world class famous champion bloodlines, and it also allows him to charge a lot more (I paid $2700 for my puppy).  These two things make it seem like he is a real breeder.  He does no testing (even though he says he does, my dog has bad hips/joints, ears, and a bad heart).  He probably doesn't even check to see if the dogs are related.

However, there are a few signs he is a backyard breeder.  First off, of all the breeders I talked to (I contacted no less than 8), he is the only one without any screening whatsoever- as long as you pay him, the dog is yours.  No application, no picture requests of your house/yard, in fact, he doesn't email/call you at all.  Also, he is the only breeder I know that has so many litters going on at once.  He literally pays like 10 dog owners of champion dogs to ship their dogs from Europe so he can pop out litters at certain intervals to ensure a constant cash flow (especially since he charges up to $5000 for some puppies).  No breeder does that.  They usually only have 1-3 sires/females, and have 1 litter per year and stop after the third litter for that couple.  This guy just keeps having dogs he doesn't own shipped to his ranch to breed, then he ships them back.

Also, he shipped my dog from Texas to California.  Doesn't sound bad, right? Considering they are close.  WRONG.  My dog was on "acer" to "calm him down" and was in a cargo crate for 10 hours.  Imagine a puppy being taken away from its parents, drugged, stuffed in a crate, and loaded onto a plane for 10 hours.  Yep, that's good breeding right there.

The best part about this is after I called the breeder about my dogs heart condition to let him to know to stop breeding with his parents, he said "If he dies before 5 years old due to his heart condition, I will replace him."  Replace him?  How about you go fuck yourself instead, my dog is not an appliance, but an animal with a nervous system that can feel pain.

I am writing this as a warning to other people.  I consider myself a smart and thorough person, and I did my research before buying my dog.  However, I was still fooled.  A quick search on online doberman forums (such as DobermanTalk.com, I've linked a few threads below) show other people like myself who bought a beautiful large doberman, only to be slammed with health problems.

Breeders are supposed to make the breed better and healthier.  This asshole just wants money.  My only hope is that one day, just like the puppies he sells, the breeder himself gets a fatal heart condition and bad hips/back, so he at least knows what he puts the dogs through.  Thank you for reading this, and email me if you have any questions or want help finding a good breeder in your area.  I also suggest you join dog forums to get a host of good information.  I wish I did before I made my purchase....

Here are the links about Britton Farms Dobermans:

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2012 10:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Britton-Farms-Dobermans/internet/Britton-Farms-Dobermans-Poorly-Bred-Doberman-Internet-931504. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Britton Farms Dobermans

You Aren't Alone

AUTHOR: AngelDust81 - (United States of America)

First of all, my heart goes out to you after reading everything you've been through with your dog. Unfortunately, you aren't the only one to fall victim to Britton Farms. My parents paid a total of $4500 for a pup and had him shipped from Texas to Wisconsin. At first, all seemed well but then after about 6 months, Boss startred exhibiting minor health problems.  First we noticed that on several occasions, one of his eyes would be extremely dialated while the other stayed normal. It's happened several times over the course of the year he's been with my parents but up until now, it hadn't caused enough of a problem for them to worry. Fast forward to now.

In the last year, he's had the eye issue plus he developed juvenile cellulitis which is a skin condition (much like acne in a human) and developed bumps all over his back that my parents are in the process of investigating. The results of the skin scrape should be in early next week but that's not the worst part...yesterday he went to the vet to have his hips and elbows x-rayed as is typical with young dogs. My parents were blindsided by the heart breaking news that Boss is suffering from hip dysplasia. I've seen the x-rays myself and even if you had no idea what to look for, the dysplasia is obvious. Boss was supposed to be a Shizund dog and ungergo extensive agression training.

My Father also had hopes of him becoming a stud dog because of the "superior genetics" he was supposed to have. Now none of that can ever happen and the entire family is devastated. Contact has yet to be made with Britton Farms but I can only imagine what bullshit he'll come up with although I'm sure we'll probably get the same story you did. It's so wrong and so unfair to the dogs who have no control over their genetics and are made to suffer because of greedy heartless breeders like this. I hope more attention will be paid before more dogs suffer the same fate as ours. Good luck to you my friend.