Complaint Review: Brooks Haven

• Submitted: Thu, November 10, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, November 10, 2011

• Reported By: Tim — Charlotte North Carolina U.S.A.
Brooks Haven
2072 Laurel Hill Road Mouth of Wilson, Virginia United States of America

Brooks Haven Rob Brooks Deceptive description of property. Claimed 2WD accessibility, but property only accessible by 4WD. Mouth of Wilson, Virginia

According to instructions, 2WD vehicles are fine to access your cabin, just not in the snow, as the driveway is steep. Again, due to the steepness, momentum is helpful.

While this may let me know that the driveway is steep, it does not let me know that it is impassable with 2WD, and that 4WD is an absolute necessity in order to access the house.

Your caretaker, Jimmy, told us that he has continually warned you of this fact, and that you have continually chosen to ignore it, leaving him to ferry the unsuspecting guests up the treacherous drive. This may allow you to rent your cabin to a wider group of customers, but they may not be able to reach the cabin once they arrive. The ditches, holes, deep tracks, big roots protruding out of the ground, rocks. leaves, and mud would be impossible on the driest of days for any 2WD vehicle.

Luckily, Jimmy was kind enough to let me park in his yard, and took us up in his Subaru. Even luckier, is that our companion also drove a Subaru, and we were able to come and go of our own choosing. Other wise we would have been stuck with no transportation.

Of course this was not before I tried going up the driveway, as I expected to be able to, as I had momentum, and it was not snowing. Instead, I slid around on the wet leaves covering the drive. Throwing mud & leaves all over my new car. I only tried for a few seconds, as I did not want to risk any more efforts. Not able to regain traction, I slid down into some bushes, which scratched my paint. So far, that is the only damage. I am taking my car in tomorrow, to be sure of that.

I expect you to cover any, and all, damage to my car that can be attributed to the attempt to mount the driveway. I will also ask that you list your cabin from this point forward as requiring at least an AWD car, such as a Subaru, to get to it.

I would be happy with a full refund.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/10/2011 08:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brooks-Haven/Mouth-of-Wilson-Virginia-24363/Brooks-Haven-Rob-Brooks-Deceptive-description-of-property-Claimed-2WD-accessibility-but-796735. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brooks Haven