We had two year service contract with this company. Our washer broke down and needed a repair. We made an appointment for service.
Service man came, listened, didn't open washer at all. He left with the promise that someone from the office would call with the details. A few days later we have received a phone call from the company saying that this part, spider bracket, is not covered under contract because it was made from plastic and it would cost us $389 + Tax to repair our washer. We have to pay upfront.
We will need inner drum, outer drum. Last one is not covered by policy, but, as a FAVOR, BFS will get it for me for free. Or they will buy out our washer for $450. We will get money after we are going to buy a new one and send them receipt. And we will have a new washer! Pushing that new washer very hard.
This was very strange considering the fact they never opened the washing machine to confirm the initial assumption. Naturally, we had questioned this approach.
I did some research, watched YouTube posts, read some DIY, thank god to Google, and found part on Sears Website for $160.93. Also found out that spider bracket made from Aluminum, and not from plastic. There are usually nothing wrong with inner basket, which is made from steel. Why would we need to change it? If outer basket is not leaking why we need this one?
Next call, when I mentioned results of the research to BFS representative, I've been told to call Sears then, and have them to fix it. O, and now spider bracket was deemed as non functional part. What is non functional part? If my washer can not work without it - it is functional! This time they were pushing new washer even harder.
For a full month after that, we were going back and forth with BSF in attempt to receive service and have our washer fixed. On numerous occasions our emails were not answered. Or when we received an answer by phone or e-mail it was a little bit different story of how they'll need to fix it and how much it is going to cost us. After a one month living without a washer and without a clear response - we asked for a cancellation of our contract for a full refund.
Our several e-mails were left without response. We opened our washer ourselves, figured out what was wrong with it. It was Shock Absorbent. We ordered parts and fixed our washer. It was a totally different problem, and the initial assessment was not done correctly. The total cost of repair to us was $72.78. We called to BFS and finally, after talking with manager, we were promised a refund for our service contract.
After one week we did not received our refund. Called again. Later we received some of our money.
It was a full month without a washer. We placed numerous phone calls which were not returned, and send a lot more emails, that were not answered either. There was a lot of our time wasted in attempt to receive service and fix our washer. We feel the company did not fulfill their contractual obligations. We also question the business practices this company employs to get out of fulfilling their obligations. I firmly believe if we had not taken an action to fix the washer ourselves, we would have still been arguing back and forth with BFS.
And we are still waiting for a remaining money...