Complaint Review: Brown Hand Center

• Updated: Fri, January 11, 2013

• Reported By: Ripped off in Dallas — Dallas Texas United States of America
Brown Hand Center
1605 Airport Freeway Bedford, Texas United States of America

Brown Hand Center Dustin Ray Billing $150,000 for two 10 minute Surgeries Bedford, Texas

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Physicians unaware of billing practices at Brown Hand Center

*Consumer Comment: Contact me

*Consumer Comment: Brown Hand Center

The  Brown Hand Center and its Doctor Dustin Ray billed our insurance company $150,000 for two carpal tunnel surgeries that lasted about 10 minutes each.   My insurance paid $105k of that.  Now they are trying to come after us for the rest of the money even though we signed an agreement that said we would have no more than $2,000 out of pocket for the surgery.   What irks me is that they do not abide by their signed agreements in writing and charge so much money for what amounts to quick simple surgeries.   Also, they do not tell you  that physical therapy and anesthesia costs even more and you are responsible for that cost as well--which was not included in the numbers above!   The quality of work was good and Dustin is a nice guy, but they have to get their billing fixed and let people know the costs up front before surgery and stop ripping people off and their insurance companies for so much money.   Agree up front on a fixed price and make sure the Dr., owner and billing departments all sign and get it notarized--maybe even have your lawyer review or write it up.  Otherwise you are headed to bankruptcy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/11/2013 08:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brown-Hand-Center/Bedford-Texas-76021/Brown-Hand-Center-Dustin-Ray-Billing-150000-for-two-10-minute-Surgeries-Bedford-Texas-995039. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Brown Hand Center

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Physicians unaware of billing practices at Brown Hand Center

AUTHOR: Dr. Dustin Ray - (USA)

Dear patient, I was a salaried paid employee at the Brown Hand Center. Myself and other young hand surgeons during that time were completely unaware of the billing practices done at the Brown Hand Center. I apologize for the outrageous billing done by this company and have long been an independent hand surgeon practicing in Dallas. I left the Brown Hand Center prior to its complete collapse a few years ago. I agree that the billing was extreme, however, I personally was unaware and had no control over billing. I hope this gives you some insight and comfort knowing that your hand doctor (me) was focused and only concerned about you (my patient) and your hand issue. Take care.

Contact me

AUTHOR: PWO - ()

I also posted on this website with a similar story. Can you get in touch with me. Need to discuss with you in more detail. pricewowens@yahoo.com

Brown Hand Center

AUTHOR: PWO - ()

I am responding to the individual that posted about the Bedford clinic. I recently had a similar procedure and similar situation with the billing and wanted to get in touch with the author to further discuss. Can I get your phone # or contact information.