expert

• Submitted: Thu, February 03, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, April 15, 2007

• Reported By:jacksonville Florida
Budget Of Milwaukee
550 W Grange St Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A.

Budget Of Milwaukee Budget Truck Rental destroyed our Jeep's transmission ripoff Milwaukee Wisconsin

*Consumer Comment: Be Familiar With Your Vehicle Before Towing It

*Consumer Suggestion: Dolly

I rented a Budget Truck with a towing dolly to move from Milwaukee Wisconsin to Jacksonville Florida. The move went ok. Once I arrived in Jacksonville, I wanted to drop off the dolly and take the truck and Jeep to my new apartment to unload. The person at the Budget drop off site asked if I towed the Jeep all the way from Wisconin on the dolly. Of course, I had. He told me that was the wrong dolly for my vehicle. Was it ever.

Once the Jeep was off of the dolly, I discovered that the transmission was completely burned out. After having the Jeep towed to a dealer in the area, I was told that it needed a new tranmission and gear box. I filed a complaint with the claims department of Budget, but have been told by them that they are not liable even though they put the Jeep on the dolly and selected the equipment.

Some $4,000.00 plus later, the Jeep is repaired and I have lost a great deal of time and money because of budget. I have contacted an attorney in Wisconsin because Budget is responsible in spite of their denial.

Judy
jacksonville, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/03/2005 05:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Budget-Of-Milwaukee/Milwaukee-Wisconsin-53207/Budget-Of-Milwaukee-Budget-Truck-Rental-destroyed-our-Jeeps-transmission-ripoff-Milwaukee-130036. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Budget Of Milwaukee

Be Familiar With Your Vehicle Before Towing It

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry that your vehicle was damaged. First of all, Budget is not supposed to load customer vehicles, PERIOD! I assume your vehicle has an automatic transmission. Tow dollies are to be used specifically for front wheel drive vehicles ONLY. Most will say that rear wheel drive vehicles with manual transmissions can also be towed, using dollies, but I am privy to manual transmission damage from them also.

I work as a Transport Driver for a Budget Agent. I tow automatic/front wheel drive mini-vans behind Budget Trucks on a daily basis. Eventhough, manual transmissioned vehicles can be towed (in neutral gear) on dollies, the angle of the vehicle (nose up) while on the dolly can cause transmission destruction also. The front bearing cannot receive proper lubrication while being towed in that position for extended periods.

Example.... A friend of mine (transport driver) towed a 5-speed S-10 pickup on a dolly. After extensive towing, (several hundred miles, in neutral gear) he needed to visit a rest area. Once he pulled in the lot, he noticed a heavy tow feeling in the 16-foot truck he was driving, like the parking brake was partially engaged. He didn't think anything about it and started to continue his trip, when the rear wheels of the towed vehicle locked up, seized the transmission and busted the case.

Investigation revealed that the front bearing seized, spun in the case and destroyed the transmission. Any time you tow a vehicle long distance, (more than a few hundred miles) always place it on a car carrier. Besides, car carriers allow you to back up, tow dollies jacknife quickly when being backed up. I prefer the car carrier over the tow dolly in all cases, except for front wheel drive vehicles.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Dolly

AUTHOR: Cj - (U.S.A.)

Dear Judy, budget is not even supposed to the truck on the dolly and i would have suggested a car carrier for you truck. i believe budget is totally responible for the damage to your truck, you have a legit claim on your hands.