Complaint Review: Budget Rent a Car: Amarillo, TX

• Updated: Fri, February 17, 2012

• Reported By: Alan P. — Dallas Texas United States of America
Budget Rent a Car: Amarillo, TX
10800 Airport Blvd Amarillo, Texas United States of America

Budget Rent a Car: Amarillo, Texas Southwest Airlines did the booking for this rental Budget claims a "chip" in the windshield the size of a pin POINT happened druing my rental. Nothing ever hit the windshiled while I was driving it. They charged $35.00 to SPARE me the cost of a new Amarillo, Texas

I booked a flight from Dallas to Amarillo on Southwest Airlines, they offered to book my rental car.  SW apparently uses Budget Car Rental.  I examined the car for body damage before I drove away.  I did not examine the windshield. When I returned the car, the young lady examining the car came into the clerk with a solemn face reporting a chip in the windshild.  I told them nothing had hit the windshild during my rental.  They showed me a pit in the center of the windshield the size of a pinPOINT and said it was not ther when I rented.  My first reaction was this is a scam, and asked how many renters have been charged for this same "chip".  They claimed they repair such chips immediatly for a $35.00 fee, or they would charge me for a new windshield!  I protested, it did no good.  A "manager" came out and yelled at me that he'd be glad to charge me $250. for a new windshield.  As the driver drove me to the departure gate I asked " if I had purchased the extra  insurance upon renting, would I have been charged for this supposed damage?"  He said no.  Seems to me that this scam applied to only those who did not purchase the extra protection.  When I got to the Southwest check in gate, I mentioned the scam to the ticket agent.  She replied: "I've had three other reports of the same thing from customers whom they had booked rentals with Budget."  That convinced me that this is a regular scam in the Amarillo Airport office of Budget Car Rental.  Southwest needs  to stop using this agency!  Budget needs to remove this agency from their namesake, revoke their franchise.

I travel to Mexico a lot, and have always been told that car rentals in Mexico constantly scam customers with pre-existing damage upon return.  I would NEVER have expected this in Amarillo, Texas, from a nationally known Rental agency!  They need to stop this abuse in Amarillo and anywhere else it occurs!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2012 09:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Budget-Rent-a-Car-Amarillo-TX/Amarillo-Texas-79111/Budget-Rent-a-Car-Amarillo-Texas-Southwest-Airlines-did-the-booking-for-this-rental-Bud-840775. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Budget Rent a Car: Amarillo, TX