Complaint Review: Budget Van Lines

• Submitted: Wed, June 27, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, March 24, 2010

• Reported By:las vegas Nevada
Budget Van Lines
244 5th Avenue #2501 New York, New York U.S.A.

Budget Van Lines, Great American Moving Company Florida Totally scammed by Budget Vanlines and Great American Movers New York,New York Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: More info

*Consumer Suggestion: Contact info for Great American

*Consumer Suggestion: It's Unfortunate

My move from Florida to Nevada has been a complete nightmare and for I am appalled at the level of unprofessionalism and lies and deceit. For starters, I was unaware that Budget Vanlines is not the actual movers, rather a brokerage firm who contacts their carriers to physically complete the move. I was quoted for my move from Florida to Nevada for $2100.

When Great American Movers in Florida showed up to load my items I was greatly suprised to not see a "Budget" truck. My mother's whole apartment had been loaded when the truck got to my place so at that point, I felt helpless.

Well I got the shock of my life when the invoice was provided for me to sign, AFTER all of my furniture was loaded--at the price tag of $4600.00. Again, feeling helpless, what could I do. I needed to leave the state asap.

Well when my furniture arrived in Nevada, my sofa was ripped at the bottom in about 5 spots, my marble dining table was chipped on the corner. My sofa legs were nowhere to be found, my mother and I both had missing boxes and broken items. I took digital photos of the damage and sent them both to Budget Vanlines and Great American. Gil-the driver and co-owner of Great American promised me a refund of $500.00, IN WRITING, which was never received.

Well I have contacted "Amy" the dispatch person at Budget several times, the only thing she has offered to do was to call Koby, the owner of Great American. My husband and I have tried to contact Koby by phone, which he has not returned any of our calls, or emails, for that matter. So we are left with ruined furniture, missing furniture pieces, missing boxes, no claim forms, no refund as promised in writing, and a headache from the whole experience.

We are hard working, honest people and not only did we get lied to about being taken care of, but Budget Vanlines in New York is taking no initiative to rectify any our our problems or concerns. So my family and I are physically unable to contact the carrier, Great American in Florida, and no one at Budget is trying to resolve these issues. "Amy", at Budget stated, "We are not the carriers, just a brokerage firm. You have to take up these issues with the carrier."

I would NEVER recommend either of these companies to anyone, and my family and I never expected to get ripped off and have damaged goods. If anyone out there can be of assistance, I would love to hear from you. Justice needs to be served on this one. Thank you so much.

Deanna
las vegas, Nevada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2007 08:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Budget-Van-Lines/New-York-New-York-10001/Budget-Van-Lines-Great-American-Moving-Company-Florida-Totally-scammed-by-Budget-Vanlines-257152. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Budget Van Lines

#1 Consumer Suggestion

More info

AUTHOR: Sharon - (U.S.A.)

Jim, Great American Moving & Storage's DOT number, although Out Of Service as of Tuesday, is 1421153.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Contact info for Great American

AUTHOR: Sharon - (U.S.A.)

According to the FL Department of Corporations, here is the contact info for Great American Moving & Storage.

YAMIN, KOBY (c/o Spiegel & Utrera, Registered Agent)
6557 AUTUMN WOODS
NAPLES FL 34109

Send a Certified Letter, Return Receipt Requested, to that address, requesting a claims form.

If that fails, try these addresses:

From the FL Dept of Corporations:

MORDECHAI, YONA (Registered Agent, person authorized to receive mail on thier behalf)
250 174TH ST #1001
SUNNY ISLES FL 33160

RATZON, YUVAL (President)
2375 E CAMELBACK RD 5TH FLOOR STE #500
PHOENIX AZ 85016

From their DOT report (probably a rental mailbox, least effective)
19390 COLLINS AVE #602
SUNNY ISLES, FL 33160
(954) 662-9191

5531 N UNIVERSITY DR #101
CORAL SPRINGS FL 33067

From their BBB report:
4206 Inverrary Blvd Ste. #79B
Lauderhill, FL 33319
There Koby is listed as Vice President. The President, Gil Naftali, removed his name fromt he paperwork last year.

If, after a few weeks you still have nothing from them, contact their Cargo Insurance Policy holder directly and show them that you have tried to contact the movers. Great American's license has been revoked, so at least they're not doing this to anyone else.

Cargo Insurance Policy # 06SP4136
UNDERWRITERS AT LLOYDS LONDON
Attn: LLOYD'S ILLINOIS INC
Address: 181 W. MADISON, SUITE 3870
CHICAGO, IL US 60602
Telephone: (212) 382 - 4060
Fax: (212) 382 - 4070

I really hope you're able to get something.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

It's Unfortunate

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Deanna, there were a great many things you did wrong regarding this move and you will probably be prevented from enacting justice on anyone, or recover much of anything regarding the damaged items. I won't go into specifics (unless you wish to) regarding your situation because movers have legal protection under Federal Law that will bar you from suing them for damages, but there is general information you should know.

1. Moving is not an inexpensive proposition and if you were to research what the larger, more reputable moving companies would have charged you - their price is the reality. You got lured in by an inexpensive price, and you really paid for it. Never choose a mover on price - you choose a mover based on a face-to-face meeting with them weeks BEFORE the move ever takes place, and how comfortable you are with having their company place your items onto their truck. Instead of telling people not to use this broker and this mover, tell them to never use any broker to move your goods.

2. The internet is a terrible place to find a mover. It is a great place to research a mover. Next time, find the phone book and seek out a mover near you (brick and mortar) who will come to your house, see what you have to move, and give you a price that won't go up by 200%. Yes, it might be more expensive than $2,100, but from what I can gather - it would seem you REALLY paid MORE than a reputable mover would have charged you.

3. Broker responsibilities end when you sign the contract... That's why you never use a broker, or someone who will dish your move out to someone you never met. Amy told you exactly what their responsibilities and duties are; you probably paid them a deposit - and they keep that for the services rendered.

Now, I have some questions for you:

1. On the written quote you received from your broker, does it indicate how much the weight of your shipment was, or is it in cubic feet? Does it have both?

2. Do you happen to have the USDOT# for Great Western - I want to do a little research and see what I can find on them....