Complaint Review: Budget

• Updated: Fri, September 21, 2012

• Reported By: Steven — Manchester, UK Other United Kingdom
Budget
Mccarran Airport, Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America

Budget, Budget Car Rental charged me for excess insurance, which I had declined, more than doubling my original quote to a staggering $1800. Las Vegas, Nevada

I rented a car from Budget, having found the cheapest quote online. When I picked the car up with my girlfriend I was asked if I wanted to pay for extra insurance, which I declined, due to it costing over $20 per day, and also as I already had the cover through my own insurance company in the UK. I then signed the rental agreement and left to get in the car.

When we got to the car we noticed no license plate was present but instead a permit in the window, valid for two months as the car was brand new. However, this was due to expire in a couple of weeks and we were renting the car for five weeks so we had to switch to a different car.

I did not sign an agreement for the second car but left in it and returned it after the five weeks. Upon my return my bill came to approximately $1800, double my original quote. To my disgust, in my original agreement a charge for the insurance I declined verbally had been added.

I requested the money be reimbursed and also stated that although I had signed the original agreement, that was for the car that I didn't end up taking and so was of no relevance to the car I took. Budget have stated this agreement can be transferred between cars without any agreement from myself.

I have requested a copy of the terms and conditions that state the above but they have not supplied me with them or directed me to the relevant page on their website. I also requested a copy of the CCTV footage they claimed to have reviewed, which I know would show we declined the cover, but they have refused.

Both my girlfriend and I are upset with how we have been treated. There is no way we would agree a charge that would double the fee agreed originally and can not believe how a company like Budget can dishonestly take money that I have worked months to save like this.

I accept that I should have read thoroughly the original agreement before signing but do not expect to have to do so having verbally declined the extra cover that was offered. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could direct me as to which way to turn as I am unsure of the US legal system with me being from the UK.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2012 11:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Budget/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89119/Budget-Budget-Car-Rental-charged-me-for-excess-insurance-which-I-had-declined-more-than-944696. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Budget