Complaint Review: BuildDirect

• Submitted: Sat, December 17, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, December 17, 2011

• Reported By: Tim — Las Vegas Nevada United States of America
BuildDirect
Ste. 200 - 717 West Pender St., Vancouver, BC, V6C Internet United States of America

BuildDirect BuildDirect sold me Hardwood Flooring with Manufacturing Defects Internet

I purchased over 2000 sq feet of BuildDirect Vanier Cosmopolitan Santos Mahogany engineered hardwood flooring for my home.  I hired a professional installer to install it.  About a week after most of it had been installed, I started to notice cracks (technically called checking), and delamination where the top nice wood layer separates from the underlying plywood layers.  Installation was stopped and BuildDirect was notified, and subsequently sent photo documentation from the installer.  It took approximately 5 weeks for BuildDirect to have an inspector come to examine my floor.  All during the time that installation was stopped and I was waiting for BuildDirects inspector to come, more and more of the flooring was cracking and delaminating.  The inspector spent approximately 35 mins., and did not even examine a whole level of flooring, did not look at unused wood that was having the same issues, and did not measure subfloor moisture. [continued below]....
.....  The inspector wrote a one paragraph "report" which did not state any specific conclusions or causes for the delamination of my floor.

BuildDirect however came to their own conclusions that the issues of delamination was due to installer issues.  I hired an independent certified wood flooring inspector also certified to serve as an expert witness for court cases involving wood flooring, to inspect my floor.  He spent 3 1/2 hours doing a thorough examination of all of my flooring, and unused flooring, and taking multiple measurements of moisture levels.  His report stated that the delamination of my floors was due to manufacturing issues, and that the cracking was also initially due to manufacturing issues.  I sent this report to BuildDirect, and have received no response since.  All BuildDirect has offered is to sell me different wood.  Further in their communication with me they stated if I installed the same wood that I may have the same issues, and that they would sell me some other wood more "appropriate" for my environment.

Thus in conclusion, according to a certified wood flooring inspector, BuildDirect sold me wood that had manufacturing issues causing the problems of delamination and checking.    They will acknowledge and take responsibility for repairing the damages to my floor they have caused.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/17/2011 01:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BuildDirect/internet/BuildDirect-BuildDirect-sold-me-Hardwood-Flooring-with-Manufacturing-Defects-Internet-810732. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BuildDirect