Complaint Review: Built Rite Transmissions

• Updated: Thu, November 08, 2012

• Reported By: Walking Now — Jacksonville Florida United States of America
Built Rite Transmissions
1343 Romney St. Jacksonville, Florida United States of America

Built Rite Transmissions Bruce Alvarez "Butchered" Transmission Job Jacksonville, Florida

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: I bent over backwards for this guy.

I took my 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition to Built Rite Transmissions for repairs, this shop having been recommended by a family friend.  After a week in the shop, I paid for the repairs, only to have the transmission completely fail again the next day (Christmas Eve, actually) with less than 25 road miles on it.

Back into the shop, this time for two more weeks, at which time I retrieved the car only to find that one of my tail lights had been smashed (of course, the mechanic knew NOTHING about how that could have happened, and did not even offer to replace the broken tail light, much less repair it). Several days and less than 50 road miles later, the transmission began to make increasingly loud whining noises, and began to shift in and out of gear at random.

Seeking a second opinion, I took the car to an older, more reputable transmission repair shop, who advised that the transmission had basically been "butchered" - with multiple fluid leaks, missing parts, SAE threaded bolts forced into Metric threaded holes, parts replaced incorrectly, etc. - and that the resulting damage inflicted to the transmission rendered it essentially beyond repair, necessitating a complete replacement of the transmission- at a cost exceeding not only the Blue Book value of the vehicle, but my ability to cover financially - to put the car safely back on the road.

I am now without a car.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2012 11:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Built-Rite-Transmissions/Jacksonville-Florida-32211/Built-Rite-Transmissions-Bruce-Alvarez-Butchered-Transmission-Job-Jacksonville-Florida-839542. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Built Rite Transmissions

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

I bent over backwards for this guy.

AUTHOR: baaccs - (United States of America)

First off it wasn't a family friend it was his mother who is close friends to my mother, so right off he got a lower than normal price.  Second it's took 3 days to repair his car as I had to wait on parts for it.  True it did fail on his way out of town, faulty part not my workmanship.  Keep in mind he paid close to half for this repair to where I made very little money, but I still went ahead and paid for the tow bill which was 200.00  a little further than 25 miles.  Next the car was ready for pick up soon as he got back in town which was a couple days or so.  Now on the lens issue about 3 days later he calls me, Hey what happened to my tail light, of course I'm dumb founded as I say what are you talking about, keep in mind when I look at the car again there is damage to the bumper cover where it showed cracked paint, but I digress.  All in all a couple months later,  I hear there's something wrong with the car again and I call my mother to see what she heard and they say it's not the transmission this time it's something else and at that time she told me his aunt was giving him another car and to sell that one.  As far as stripped threads wrong bolts missing parts that's a bunch of hogwash, if the car had missing parts it would not have moved.  This guy is off his rocker, secondly how can this site hold any water with letting B.S. like this be written cause somebody has a couple loose screws without contacting the people somebody is writing about.

The only way I knew about this was I had a customer tell me about it, and felt I needed to know.  They told me they wouldn't even bother if they knew personally it wasn't B.S.  This customer told me that I had no negative reports to the BBB and no complaints nowhere else.

I run an honest shop and I stand behind my work 150%

Maybe this guy was looking for someway to get a pay off, because I don't know why he would take somewhere for an opinion when I did give a warranty and I never heard from him again.  If there was still a problem I would have taken care of it, I never knew there was a problem.