Complaint Review: Burbank Athletic Club

• Updated: Wed, July 02, 2014

• Reported By: Cain — Sunland California
Burbank Athletic Club
226 E. Palm Ave Burbank, California USA

Evidently, I’m not the first this has happened to but hopefully I will be the last. BAC (Burbank Athletic Club) has illegally acquired my NEW debit card number after I verbally cancelled my month-to-month membership.

After my debit card expired they attempted to get a new card out of me but I simply told them I was month-to-month and wanted to cancel my membership due to the fact that I had moved. I went 6 or 7 months and then I was hit with 6 charges in a matter of a couple days. What if I had insufficient funds? I could have been charged my monthly fee plus $35 for each overdraft charge. This could have cost me well over $300. They never attempted to contact me by mail, email, text or phone indicating they had (illegally) gotten my new card and were intending on charging it for the last 6 months of cancelled gym membership.

In speaking with Mariah R at BAC, I was told their method of acquiring my new card was via an “Updated Card Reader”. She explained that a vendor (BAC) may request the credit card company (Visa or MasterCard) to supply the vendor with a customer’s (Cain) new credit card number ‘IF’ the vendor can supply proof that the vendor has had commercial relations with said customer. Via my connection with Visa I found this to be completely NOT true. They did advise I check with a specialist at my bank (Chase) for their input. Chase too confirmed BAC’s claim of acquisition as FALSE.

Finally, I asked BAC if they had any document whatsoever (contract or otherwise) that gives authority to charge the new debit card. They said no.

They have nothing by me, my bank or Visa.

Chase has reversed the charges and blocked Burbank Athletic Club from charging me again. AND, Chase even waved the usual fee to do this. Chase states they will be doing their own investigation into this matter.

I’ll be filing a civil suit as I’m not the only one they have victimized. I pity those that have, in fact, had their accounts overdrawn and accumulated overdraft charges.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/02/2014 04:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Burbank-Athletic-Club/Burbank-California-91502/Burbank-Athletic-Club-BAC-ILLEGAL-ACQUASITION-CHARGE-OF-NEW-DEBITCARD-Burbank-Californi-1159163. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Burbank Athletic Club