Complaint Review: Burlington Coat Factory

• Submitted: Wed, August 13, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, August 13, 2008

• Reported By:Lancaster Pennsylvania
Burlington Coat Factory
2090 Lincoln Hwy E. Lancaster, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Burlington Coat Factory Bait and switch, no discount Lancaster Pennsylvania

On 4 August 2008, I purchased a metal loft bed for my teenage son. We rarely shop together, but he was with me and excited over the item. I was excited too, the reason I was shopping there that day was the "back to school" promos and coupon the company had sent me.
My problems with the company started at the checkout.

The loft bed/under desk set were actually two items, each priced at $199.99, but you don't have the option to purchase just the bed. You have to buy both. So, when I pulled out my 20% off coupon, it was good for only one item. ???? It seemed to me that it was one item, since you could ONLY purchase both, but I left it at that. My cost was then $360.00, which I considered a great deal, I had seen the same bed online for $850.00. But, believe you me, they did not want to honor that coupon.
I was told that there would be a 10 - 12 week wait for the company to ship the item, which I agreed to and went home.

Later that day, I received a call from Burlington Coat Factory. The manufacturer would not be shipping additional beds. However, they would provide me with the display model within 2 weeks. I agreed, and requested a further discount. Their manager called me back to inform me that they would give no discount for the display model since I had already used a coupon.
I look at it this way, WITH the coupon, I WAS paying for a new item. Anyone else that preceded me using the same coupon paid $360.00 for that bed and got a new one, in a box, with instructions and warranty - and no dings or damage from the public. I was being discriminated against for using a coupon which I did not solicit - THEY SENT IT TO ME IN THE MAIL!

So I e-mailed BCF Corporate offices. They too have decided that they will keep all of my money that they have, no discount forthcoming. The reason - I used a coupon.

I work in a national retail store (in the same strip mall), and I know that display models are NEVER sold as new. From my experiences as a shopper, I know that display models are NEVER sold as new. Burlington Coat Factory does not teach its' managers to maintain good relations with customers, they teach their managers to maintain a good hold on any incoming cash.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2008 09:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Burlington-Coat-Factory/Lancaster-Pennsylvania-17602/Burlington-Coat-Factory-Bait-and-switch-no-discount-Lancaster-Pennsylvania-362409. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Burlington Coat Factory