Complaint Review: Business Futures, Inc.

• Submitted: Mon, September 17, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, March 04, 2013

• Reported By: Gina — Indian Hills Colorado United States of America
Business Futures, Inc.
1010 Washington Avenue #200 Golden, Colorado United States of America

Business Futures, Inc. Dishonest property management company Golden, Colorado

*UPDATE Employee: Company response

After living in Los Angeles, I thought I'd had my share of shady landlords, but Business Futures is the worst property management company I've ever dealt with.  They WAY overcharge for their apartments.  Lucky for them, I was moving in from out of state and couldn't see what a dump the short-term lease I had rented was.  It was disgustingly dirty, even after their cleaning lady spent the day I was supposed to move in "cleaning."  The apartment had broken drawers, a caving-in ceiling, a huge amount of bugs, and a completely stopped-up drain.  When I called, they said they'd sent maintenance out.  The only "maintenance" the guy did was sweeping the stairs.  Needless to say, I didn't try again after that.

I was only there for a couple months, but to add insult to injury, they took a ton of money out of my deposit for "carpet cleaning" (even though it was clear the carpet hadn't been cleaned when I moved in or probably ever), a broken screen on a window that never had a screen, and batteries for the smoke detectors that I had apparently failed to supply.  The deposit deductions increased my rent by about $200 a month.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/17/2012 01:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Business-Futures-Inc/Golden-Colorado-/Business-Futures-Inc-Dishonest-property-management-company-Golden-Colorado-942475. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Business Futures, Inc.

Company response

AUTHOR: Business Futures, Inc. - (United States of America)

When someone is only 26 years old and has already had a lot of shady landlords, one has to wonder if Gina is not part of the problem.  The apartment Gina rented has been vacant less then 2 weeks in the last 5 years, so it can't be too overpriced.  The building is very old so it may not be as glamorous or perfect as the newer apartments Gina stayed in in Los Angeles where she rented from shady landlords.

For all Gina's complaints here, she never provided us a list of any issues until we gave her a notice to vacate the apartment. Perhaps that is why she is upset.  On the list she gave us it didn't say anything about the screen (it wasn't missing--just damaged).  Gina merely had to leave the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, not take them with her to avoid being charged for them.  The ton of money for the carpet cleaning was $110 for cleaning a TON of HAIR from the 65# dog.  The cleaners said they had never seen so much dog hair before in the carpet.

Total charges were under $200, so it is hard to figure how that could possibly come out to "about $200 a month" when divided over the lease.