Complaint Review: Buy.com

• Reported By:Houston Texas
Buy.com
www.buy.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Buy.combuy.com Unethical and Deceptive Trade Practices Ripoff Internet

Last Thursday I ordered a notebook computer from buy.com for $689. On Friday I received an email stating that my order was canceled because my "excellent" credit card had been declined, but I could re-order. I check with the credit card company and I have excellent credit and the card and information are correct. On Saturday I re-entered the order at the same price. On Monday I received an email from buy.com informing me that my order was canceled because my credit card was declined. I checked again with the credit card company confirming that nothing was wrong with the credit card information entered and my credit is excellent. I checked buy.com site and now understand what is happening. Buy.com has raised the price by $50. This is the classic BAIT AND SWITCH game. I found an 800 number (800 800-0800) for buy.com and called to complain, discovering that I am talking to someone in India. The person said that they would have to transfer me to their supervisor and I was placed on HOLD (Never-Never Land). After 20 minute I gave up and hung up. I guess I am luck in that buy.com did not get to my credit card however, judging from my experience and reading other complains, I don't think BUT know BUY.COM is engaging in unethical and deceptive trade practices. I do not understand why these con men/women are not prosecuted. I know in Texas we have a strong law "Texas Deceptive Trade Practice Act" which entitle victim triple damages. I know this would not apply to me however, what they are doing is unethical and deceptive. Anyone considering buying anything from buy.com should be aware of the risk in dealing a business such as this. It is also interesting that all their un-bias marketing sites i.e. pricegrabber.com give them a 5-star rating. After knowing what I know now, I wonder where do these rating come from?

Texan
Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2007 07:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Buycom/nationwide/Buycombuycom-Unethical-and-Deceptive-Trade-Practices-Ripoff-Internet-268970. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Buy.com