Complaint Review: CARES (Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services)

• Submitted: Sat, October 30, 2010
  • Updated: Thu, June 16, 2011

• Reported By: Cassie — Langhorne Pennsylvania United States of America
CARES (Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services)
2010 Cabot Blvd. West Suite D Langhorne, PA 19047 Langhorne, Pennsylvania United States of America

CARES (Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services) CARES Emergency Vet Services Extremely Expensive and Negligent Care Langhorne, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: My kids will always remember their positive experience at CARES!

After recently coming home to find my dog paralyzed we rushed him to CARES vet services for emergency treatment.  As my boyfriend and I were clearly upset over the state of our injured dog, the staff took no consideration to our emotional state and came off as uninterested in our dog.  After a brief consultation with the nurse/vet on staff they encouraged us to keep our dog there overnight for constant medical watch. We didn't argue as we agreed this was the best option.  They told us they would take X-rays, run blood work, monitor his organs' vitals and test for Lymes/poisoning and in the morning he would see the neurologist when he came into the office.  As we were leaving we were hit with the "deposit".  We were told we would have to pay half of the estimated bill which was a range of $800-1200, which would covered the initial visit, overnight care, medical attention and the neurologist visit in the morning.  We had to pay $600 that night. I asked if they had any payment plans or anything and they rudely said "NO".  My dog needed the care so we paid it.  The next morning we met with the neurologist who told us our dog either has a slipped disk or a piece of cartilage in his spinal cord and that has inflamed his spinal cord.  He insisted we did an MRI right away which would cost us an additional $1500 to rule out the possibility of a slipped disk. I asked what drugs my dog had received last night- anything for the swelling?  pain killers?- and he replied we have not given him anything as steroids tend to upset the dogs stomach.  I was blown away.  I asked "Can we rule out poisoning or Lymes disease?" and he said yes we ran all those tests and they came back negative.  We were then hit with another $200 for additional costs.  Come to find out after showing these medical records to another vet they never tested him for Lymes disease and did not give him any medication for swelling or pain which could have caused long term damage.  They kept him in a cage overnight alone and scared.  I am extremely unsatisfied with their level of care and "medical knowledge" and also the fact that they charged close to $1000 and did not do ANYTHING!!!  Do NOT go here, they will rip you off!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2010 01:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CARES-Center-for-Animal-Referral-and-Emergency-Services/Langhorne-Pennsylvania-19047/CARES-Center-for-Animal-Referral-and-Emergency-Services-CARES-Emergency-Vet-Services-Ext-656896. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CARES (Center for Animal Referral and Emergency Services)

My kids will always remember their positive experience at CARES!

AUTHOR: seg41977 - (United States of America)

Two days ago I found our 8 month old kitten Pouncer limping in the hallway. Upon further inspection I found his left hind leg was displaced and appeared broken. I took him to our home vet who gave him pain meds and did xrays. Pouncer needed pins put in his leg to fix it and our vets suggested we take him to CARES. When I called CARES the receptionist asked me to hold on while she spoke to the doctor and I was told to bring him in as soon as I could get there. Myself and all 4 of my children (7,4,4,4) went to CARES and met with the orthosurgeon. He was super nice and explained to the kids how Pouncer would be fine but would nned to stay a few days and when he came home they would have to be super gentle with him. It was quite traumatic for them to leave Pouncer but the nurse who took him back let the kids kiss him and hug him. I've called several times to check on him and couldn't be more pleased with his care. I have worked in hospitals where the staff is less responsive!
Of course the bill is in the thousands of dollars but when asking a professional for their services they expect to be paid for it. I would assume this person wouldn't go to the food store and ask for free food? Correct? I agree responsible pet ownership is at the crux of the matter here. It's just sad their daughter had to go through all that drama. I'm glad the outcome was a positive one.