Complaint Review: CBCS Collection Agency

• Submitted: Wed, June 18, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, December 12, 2008

• Reported By:clovus California
CBCS Collection Agency
250 E. Town St. Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

CBCS Collection Agency CBCS Illegal attempt to collect on debt Columbus Ohio

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: CORRECTION

*Consumer Suggestion: There's a couple of legal violations here

*Consumer Suggestion: Contact your BK attorney

A couple of months ago I recieved a letter from a collection agency called CBCS.
They where trying to collect on a account with Fingerhut that I had taken down in a chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Since it had been several years, and though I may be old, I'm not uninformed or stupid. I knew that it is against the law to try to collect on a account listed on a bankruptcy.

Im just grateful they did not get my phone number..So I mailed them back a copy of my final judgement and a list of the creditors and informed them the debt was not collectable.

They ignored my info and sent me back copies of my payments I had made on the account prior to the filing..This pissed me off so I sent of a e-mail to the court and filed a complaint with the federal trade comission.

Then I did a google on CBCS..and low and behold a world of negative info on this pack of sorry sons a ------- .
So stay on your toes and if these people contact you..give them no info and look into it right away..dont just get mad..get rid of them.

Fran
clovus, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/18/2008 05:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CBCS-Collection-Agency/Columbus-Ohio-43215/CBCS-Collection-Agency-CBCS-Illegal-attempt-to-collect-on-debt-Columbus-Ohio-341767. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CBCS Collection Agency

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

CORRECTION

AUTHOR: Prlegal08 - (U.S.A.)

CBCS probably just got a hold of this account and was not aware that you filled for bankruptcy - but you did a good thing that you sent them your final judgment..
Usually when i took calls like that and the person said they filed for bankruptcy , we document the account - take your number off the dialer - and send you out a packet that you fill out regarding your bankruptcy.... Then you simply do what you already did and that debt goes away..

I would suggest calling them using *67 so they cannot trace the caller id., tell them about the bankrupcy either chapter 7 or 13, and they will not contact you, other than sending out a packet....

Works the same if you are disputing the debt, you can even give them a fake number, (they wouldnt know) they simply mark the account as DO NOT CALL and send out a fraud packet in this case..

Thank you!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

There's a couple of legal violations here

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Reporting this activity to the bankruptcy court was a good idea.

If what you state is correct, they are not only in violation of the bankruptcy code, but also the FDCPA.

If I were in your shoes I would file a small claims action alleging the above violations and ask for about 2k in damages.

Best regards!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Contact your BK attorney

AUTHOR: J G Shrugged - (U.S.A.)

And have them seek sanctions against them with the courts.